PDA

View Full Version : How far will Ubeaut Moderators go?

Willy Nelson
16th April 2014, 07:03 PM
Well Ladies and Gentlemen
I was lucky enough to have a visit from Neil, (AKA Dai Sensei). He has travelled all the way from Queensland (if I was smart enough, I would put the link to his travelling thread 'here'... someone???.... please??) to glorious Perth Western Australia.

Well, I might have mentioned in passing that my ready use firewood bin MAY contain some Jarrah burl offcuts, but before I could say any thing else, he was into the bin like a rat up a drain pipe. Poor Easterners, we forget how blessed we are to have wonderful WA timbers that Easterners can only dream about. My kids were so embarrassed, 'Daddy, why is that old man stealing our firewood?'. I was at a loss. No doubt this will be discussed at school.

Anyhoo, he did leave me with a stunning piece of Dead Finish which I promptly cut up and had on the lathe before he had left my street. Absolutely stunning, he is welcome to rummage my bins anytime he leaves Dead Finish behind.

Cheers
Willy

Jarrahland

PS Oh, do I need to put in a VTIC in here? Yep. Okay here it is VTIC

Chesand
16th April 2014, 07:18 PM
Not his best angle. :D

chambezio
16th April 2014, 07:23 PM
Was he moderately moderating or just moderating? :B

tdrumnut
16th April 2014, 07:30 PM
Thats a common pose for Neil, lol

Sebastiaan56
16th April 2014, 07:42 PM
Yup, that's commitment, why this is the best woodies hang out on the net

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

smiife
16th April 2014, 07:57 PM
Hi willy,
Rumaging in the wood bin,,,,,,,,,, yeah one of
my favourite pastimes, you never know whats
at the bottom:o
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

Christos
16th April 2014, 08:05 PM
I was thinking that we could incorporate this to Dai Sensei thread but I think this is a much better place for it.

Members in WA please note;

When Neil visits tell him that you have some Jarrah burl offcuts in the firewood pile even if you do not. :q

:lolabove:

steamingbill
16th April 2014, 08:10 PM
what does dead finish mean ?

Christos
16th April 2014, 08:18 PM

It is a type of wood.

Pat
16th April 2014, 08:20 PM
Dead Finish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_tetragonophylla) is a Desert Timber, Family Acacia

Willy Nelson
16th April 2014, 09:31 PM
I was thinking that we could incorporate this to Dai Sensei thread but I think this is a much better place for it.

Members in WA please note;

When Neil visits tell him that you have some Jarrah burl offcuts in the firewood pile even if you do not. :q

:lolabove:

Yeah good thought. Next time he is around, I will tell him I buried some in the garden, but not where it is. He will subsequently dig up the whole garden for me :2tsup:

Tim the Timber Turner
16th April 2014, 09:36 PM

An old station hand told me that when this tree died, everything else was finished.

Meaning it would be the last thing to die in a drought.

Like all bush lore, you need to take this with a pinch of salt.

Cheers

Tim:)

dai sensei
16th April 2014, 11:39 PM
I've been framed :giggle:, not fair, taking photos whilst someone is indisposed :peepwall:

In my defence :rolleyes:, each off-cut is enough to make >10 pen blanks, that I am sure my fellow Qld pen turners will appreciate :2tsup:

dai sensei
16th April 2014, 11:50 PM
Dead Finish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_tetragonophylla) is a Desert Timber, Family Acacia

Wrong Dead Finish, this is the better one also known as Red Lancewood, see http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/deadfinish.htm

Christos
16th April 2014, 11:53 PM
I've been framed :giggle:, ......

Some times the nicest photos are the ones that are natural. :U

Dalboy
17th April 2014, 12:27 AM
I think the title of this post is not "How far" but "How Deep" or "how low will they stoop":U:U:U

Colin62
17th April 2014, 03:09 AM
Pretty deep by the look of the photo :D

Big A
17th April 2014, 04:26 PM
We had patches of Dead Finish on the property we used to own in the Central Highlands (Springsure). My father said it was called that because if a beast you were chasing went into a clump, that was the end of the chase - the dead finish. It was tough stuff to ride through, whereas a beast could get through easily. Just an anecdote - TTIT is probably more correcter. My dad was one for tugging on legs a bit!

Maybe I should go back there and see if the patches are still in existence. Mr Caterpillar and a chain may have done them in.

Cheers,
"A".

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th April 2014, 04:49 PM
:no: Neil is in the pic somewhere?

BTW, where'd you get the self-propelled wheely-bin? I need one...

Pat
17th April 2014, 05:43 PM
Wrong Dead Finish, this is the better one also known as Red Lancewood, see http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/deadfinish.htm

Bugger, common names trip me up again!:U

Tim Creeper
18th April 2014, 10:42 PM

I read somewhere that it's called dead finish because it gives a dead finish. Of almost all timbers it's finish is remarkable.

jefferson
19th April 2014, 06:53 PM
No, I think Neil had it right when he said that the wood would be there at the Dead Finish. It survives drought etc better than most.