PDA

View Full Version : Large scraping straight edge

.RC.
19th April 2014, 05:05 PM
Anyone have a 5ft or 6ft straight edge 2"+ wide they would be interested in a new home for?

Some time in the future I will be going to straighten the 6ft long ways on this borer I purchased, so will be needing a long straight edge, or at least bigger then the ones I currently have..

PDW
19th April 2014, 08:26 PM
Anyone have a 5ft or 6ft straight edge 2"+ wide they would be interested in a new home for?

Some time in the future I will be going to straighten the 6ft long ways on this borer I purchased, so will be needing a long straight edge, or at least bigger then the ones I currently have..

I've got a 6' camelback I'd consider lending you. Freight might be an issue though. I haven't checked it sonce I got it off of Phil so I can't comment on its flatness.

Or I can get a casting done for a 900mm or so parallel flange beam type as I'm seriously thinking of getting one for myself.

PDW

.RC.
19th April 2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the offer, but at this stage I would rather buy then borrow.... Scared I would drop it...

RayG
19th April 2014, 10:15 PM
Hi RC,

While I don't have a 6' straight edge, I could fit a 6' straight edge on the surface plate, and I can certify straightness with the laser interferometer. All you need is a long bit of cast iron.. Stability might be a bit of a challenge at that length.

Ray

Theberylbloke
19th April 2014, 10:31 PM
This one is going cheap...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-JC-BUSCH-CO-MODEL-6508-PRECISION-72-STRAIGHT-EDGE-/231207500562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d50a7b12

Shame about the postage :o

Cheers

The Beryl Bloke

RayG
20th April 2014, 12:38 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-JC-BUSCH-CO-MODEL-6508-PRECISION-72-STRAIGHT-EDGE-/231207500562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d50a7b12

Cheers

The Beryl Bloke

That might still work out to be reasonably priced, if you could come to some arrangement for postage, but it won't stay at that price anyway... they sell for $5K plus, On the other hand, I seem to remember that Busch was clearing out some slow moving stock that was unfinished... it would pay to confirm it is a finished and calibrated straight edge... :D

Ray

.RC.
20th April 2014, 06:51 AM
Yes I have already been through US ebay.. Of course there is also China and granite to consider http://en.longbeide.com/Products_show.asp?ID=379

(http://en.longbeide.com/Products_show.asp?ID=379)This one would have been perfect, cut into the appropriate size http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0205-5004163/engineering-and-toolmaking/machinery-precision-straight-edge-moore-and-wright-england-cast-iron-12

Bryan
20th April 2014, 02:15 PM
Yes I have already been through US ebay.. Of course there is also China and granite to consider http://en.longbeide.com/Products_show.asp?ID=379

I once looked into importing some granite references from China. One problem was the costs involved, the other was that - as I was advised by a local shipping agent - the chances of something like that arriving intact would be slim to none, and insurance would be useless.

Stustoys
20th April 2014, 03:37 PM
the chances of something like that arriving intact would be slim to none,
I know of one large granite square that didn't survive the trip. Maybe they have improved their packaging since then?

Stuart

Ueee
20th April 2014, 06:14 PM
I once looked into importing some granite references from China. One problem was the costs involved, the other was that - as I was advised by a local shipping agent - the chances of something like that arriving intact would be slim to none, and insurance would be useless.

Thats were my granite squares came from. Shipped by DHL from memory, in timber boxes and no problems.

Ew

.RC.
20th April 2014, 06:15 PM
The granite square that arrived in three pieces was from Standridge Granite in the US.. But yea a slender piece of granite would probably fare even less well...

.RC.
25th April 2014, 08:57 PM

Cheers

The Beryl Bloke

Well I threw a bid on it, but as I expected out bid straight away....

I have come to the conclusion a 5ft (60") or 1500mm would be the ideal size I need... Something will come up eventually..

Theberylbloke
27th April 2014, 12:13 AM
So R.C. I take it you did not put up the $406.00 USD to take possession???

If it weren't for the shipping that would probably be a bargain!

Cheers

The Beryl Bloke

bob ward
27th April 2014, 07:34 AM
Out of curiosity I had tried getting prices from shipito.com to show just how ridiculous that USP freight price is (I'm thinking that straight edge could have been landed here for $300 - $400) but their on-line calculator hasn't been working over the last week or so. Anyone else having a similar experience with the shipito calculator?

.RC.
27th April 2014, 08:22 AM
Well I am considering a chinese straight edge at the moment... But I have zero experience of buying a larger item direct from China.. There is also India that make them...

simonl
27th April 2014, 09:42 AM
Well I am considering a chinese straight edge at the moment... But I have zero experience of buying a larger item direct from China.. There is also India that make them...

I am aware of the policy with this forum on group buys but, if you get a few people to jump on board and pay upfront, the freight forwarding and port charges would be shared. Not to mention, if you purchase 5 or 6 you will get a slightly better price than just one.

Simon

pippin88
27th April 2014, 10:07 AM
I'm interested in a decent size surface plate and granite square

.RC.
27th April 2014, 11:41 AM
I am aware of the policy with this forum on group buys but, if you get a few people to jump on board and pay upfront, the freight forwarding and port charges would be shared. Not to mention, if you purchase 5 or 6 you will get a slightly better price than just one.

Simon

I doubt there would be the demand for such a large size... After all if you have a machine where you need a 1500mm straight edge to scrape it in it is going to be big and heavy, three phase and not in the usual home shop environment... Combine that with the amount of work to scrape in a slide that long by hand, or even scrape in the straight edge to start with and the number willing to do that falls considerably

Something will turn up... There are probably dozens rusting away in old sheds across the country... Never to be used again.. Or to be used as ornaments..

PDW
27th April 2014, 12:15 PM

Simon

We did that with surface plates a couple years back. I don't think anyone is going to step forward and do it again. The end result, I have to say, was fine and as one of the participants, I am very grateful to the organiser of the purchase, very happy with the outcome.

But there's no way I'm going to organise anything like it....

PDW

PDW
27th April 2014, 12:16 PM
There are probably dozens rusting away in old sheds across the country... Never to be used again.. Or to be used as ornaments..

I resemble that remark.....

PDW

C-47
27th April 2014, 12:23 PM
RC,
Maybe give Apex machinery in Melbourne a try, they had some larger size ones there about a year ago when I was scrounging around at the back of their outside shed.

Bryan
27th April 2014, 03:57 PM
RC,
Maybe give Apex machinery in Melbourne a try, they had some larger size ones there about a year ago when I was scrounging around at the back of their outside shed.

I'll second that. If you can't find what you want online, get on the blower. I found my shaper that way. Low turnover items don't get advertised as much.

RayG
27th April 2014, 04:16 PM
I'd hang out for the auctions that will be coming up in the next few years as the motor industry implodes.. It's the sort of thing that doesn't "look" expensive... so could easily go cheap.

Ray

jhovel
27th April 2014, 08:51 PM
Another place worth a phone call is ESP Machinery in Braybrook (Melbourne) 03 9689 6044Have a look at their 'Engineering tooling' page. You might see some other bits you can use. Same thing: they don't advertise low-turnover stuff at all.

.RC.
28th April 2014, 02:37 PM
Well I have bought a 4ft one from Apex Machinery.... Would anyone be able to help out with collection?

They also have another squat four foot one there, I have photo's here... If anyone is interested send me a private message and I will tell you the price and send you the photo...

Would still like another longer one though..

.RC.
28th April 2014, 03:18 PM
The other one may be gone :)

Stustoys
28th April 2014, 03:21 PM
Well that will teach me to go out into the shed.

Before I put my hand up............. how much does it.they weigh?

Stuart

p.s. I'm happy to store it for you ;)

Bryan
28th April 2014, 04:11 PM
Well I have bought a 4ft one

How big is your plate RC? Will be interested in your procedure, as I'm trying to scrape an 850mm straight edge on a 400 x 600 plate.

PS: Also, how big are your deltoids? I think they're about to get bigger. :)

argeng
28th April 2014, 05:50 PM
Hi RC,
If you can arrange it I could swing by and get it on Wednesday. Work out the transport details later.
Cheers
Bruce

Ueee
29th April 2014, 10:31 AM
I am the other purchaser.....The second one is not as deep, but it does have a timber case. Thanks to Bruce (Argeng) for offering to pick them up. Unfortunately Apex did not have a D1-4 faceplate or any of the gear cutters i was after though.

Ew

stix012
5th May 2014, 09:21 PM
Hi RC.
I may have found a big straight edge, are you still interested,if so I will chase it up and let you know

.RC.
5th May 2014, 09:32 PM
Hi RC.
I may have found a big straight edge, are you still interested,if so I will chase it up and let you know

Hi Stix, yes I am still interested in a big straight edge...

Thanks...

.RC.
5th May 2014, 10:24 PM
I just emptied my message box Stix, as I got an email saying it was full and you tried to send me a message....

Machtool
6th May 2014, 10:34 AM
I have the 4 foot / apex one here in my shop as of 7.30 am this morning.

Bruce dropped it in on his way into work.

Regards Phil.

RayG
7th May 2014, 02:51 AM
I have the 4 foot / apex one here in my shop as of 7.30 am this morning.

Bruce dropped it in on his way into work.

Regards Phil.

Hi Phil,

The other straight edge relay has been run.. Bruce -> Stuart -> Ray -> Ewan

I expect Ewan will blue it up and see how it looks, there is some flight rust, but I think most of that will disappear with the first breakup pass.
It had some zig-zag lines on it that didn't make much sense to me, maybe when Ewan posts some pictures it might make more sense to you.

Ray

.RC.
7th May 2014, 07:47 PM
So Ueee, are we going to see some real photo's?

:)

Ueee
7th May 2014, 09:01 PM
I guess i can manage that.....

It is not very deep or heavy, it is only 85mm high at the most, and the face is 45mm wide. It weighs 12.5kg.

Ew

RayG
7th May 2014, 11:11 PM
I guess i can manage that.....

It is not very deep or heavy, it is only 85mm high at the most, and the face is 45mm wide. It weighs 12.5kg.

Ew

Question for Phil, Here are those zig-zags I mentioned, any ideas?

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=312845&d=1399456874

Ray

.RC.
8th May 2014, 11:33 AM
I think someone has just been doodling...

Machtool
8th May 2014, 12:23 PM
That's just a poor man's attempt at mottling. How long was that one? 3 foot. Its horribly shallow.

Regards Phil.

Ueee
8th May 2014, 06:41 PM
Its 4', and yes it is rather shallow. However....

I knocked the rust off and stoned it. It passes the spin test, floats on the rock and sticks well once the air cushion is gone. With either end supported on freshly ground blocks there is less than .0002" variation along its length and if anything it is high in the middle, so its definitely not sagging under its own weight. When i have more time i'll blue it up but not this week...Remember to buy you Mothers some flowers this Sunday :U

Ew

eskimo
9th May 2014, 09:19 AM
so .....how much were they guys..i want to know the value of my 3ft'er..or was that a metre..? cant recal

.RC.
9th May 2014, 02:42 PM
They were $275 each including GST..

Maybe a bit overpriced, but then how long until the next one is available..I rang around other dealers and none had any and had never had any enquiries for them either.. I am happy with the 4ft one I bought even though Ray chickened out from delivering it.. (it is only 100mm on the map)

I think a Craig Donges straight edge raw casting would be around the same price delivered...

You might as well know I just bought a 5ft one as well and the seller is happy it is going to go to a caring home :)

PDW
9th May 2014, 09:32 PM

Maybe a bit overpriced, but then how long until the next one is available.

$275 is most definitely not overpriced, unless you're the sort of bottom feeder that doesn't need a straight edge anyway because you wouldn't know what to do with it.

It would cost more than that to get one cast, I can say with complete confidence. Then you have to age it, machine it and scrape it.

PDW

Machtool
9th May 2014, 10:57 PM
Back in the day, I'd guess they were 4 - 6 weeks average pay. If you could buy a new one it would be up in the $3 -$4k mark.

Ewan's sounds like a jewel. Friday afternoon here. I was bored. Your's come up a treat with a 9" grinder. No rust at all.

.RC.
9th May 2014, 11:18 PM
Your's come up a treat with a 9" grinder. No rust at all.

Who needs a Biax HM10 when you have an angle grinder... :D

Machtool
9th May 2014, 11:38 PM
Who needs a Biax HM10 when you have an angle grinder... :D
I was so bored I managed to spray paint it Dulux Blue. You owe me a new pallet BTW. This one seems to be covered in blue paint. It used to say Chep, now it just says "ep" I did you a favour, those shinny bit's looked like they might rust. I gave those a real good squirt. Sorry about the runs, but they should buff right out. You should be able to cut and polish that, and it will come up looking better than my F100. Yeehar

RayG
10th May 2014, 04:23 PM
I was so bored I managed to spray paint it Dulux Blue. You owe me a new pallet BTW. This one seems to be covered in blue paint. It used to say Chep, now it just says "ep" I did you a favour, those shinny bit's looked like they might rust. I gave those a real good squirt. Sorry about the runs, but they should buff right out. You should be able to cut and polish that, and it will come up looking better than my F100. Yeehar

Yee Hah... that should be right at home in the badlands of Rocky..

That price is cheap cheap cheap... New price these days is in the thousands.. and of course being older it will be more stable.... (cough!).. The cast iron will have stabilized, unless you paint it Dulux Blue, then all bets are off.. :D

Ray

Stustoys
10th May 2014, 05:16 PM
Hi Phil
Make sure to stamp his name in on it with a center punch so no one it tempted to knock it of......pick somewhere nice and flat so it really stands out.

Stuart

.RC.
10th May 2014, 06:37 PM
You are all a mob of bastards....

:((:((:((
:D:D

Michael G
10th May 2014, 07:02 PM
Don't worry about it Richard. My surface grinder is almost complete so when it is I can put it on the table and grind the punch marks out. It's got a traverse of 10", so that should be more than enough to grind out the marks, even if they are deep.

Michael

Oldneweng
10th May 2014, 08:02 PM
Don't worry about it Richard. My surface grinder is almost complete so when it is I can put it on the table and grind the punch marks out. It's got a traverse of 10", so that should be more than enough to grind out the marks, even if they are deep.

Michael

A quick touch up with the precision angle grinder would do the job much quicker.:2tsup:

Dean

eskimo
13th May 2014, 12:50 PM
Yee Hah... that should be right at home in the badlands of Rocky..

That price is cheap cheap cheap...

so mine may be worth a lot more than the $275.00 as quoted above

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=121968&highlight=camel+back

.RC.
15th May 2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks to stix012 here is the 5 footer he found for me.... It only has a milled finish on the base, but on the surface plate is only about 0.03mm high in the middle...

Just waiting for Ray to deliver the 4 footer now.... I think if I say he will do it enough times, he will do it in the end :D

Piers037
26th March 2015, 06:41 PM
Apex did not have a D1-4 faceplate or any of the gear cutters i was after though.

Ew

Hi Ew,

Are you still after a D1-4 faceplate ?

I got a D1 face plate with the DSG but it is too small. I thought it was a D1-3 but it does not fit my Chipmaster. I have not measured it yet but am guessing it is D1-4.

Cheers

Piers

welder
26th March 2015, 07:50 PM
Hi Ew,

I got a D1 face plate with the DSG but it is too small. I thought it was a D1-3 but it does not fit my Chipmaster. I have not measured it yet but am guessing it is D1-4.

Cheers

Piers
If Ewan is not I AM :roll:

Ueee
26th March 2015, 11:43 PM
Hi Ew,

Cheers

Piers

Absolutely......still have not found one for the Holbrook.

Piers037
27th March 2015, 09:20 AM
Hi Ew and Andre,

As I do not have a face plate for the DSG my preferred option is to swap/trade the D1-4 face plate for a D1-6 face plate.

Do ether of you guys have a "spare" D1-6 face plate? :D

Cheers

Piers

Ueee
27th March 2015, 06:09 PM
Sorry Piers,
I only have the 14" D1-6 faceplate from the Antrac, and i need it. No where to look for one around here either. Gone Dre may be able to check Mick Moyles.

welder
27th March 2015, 06:14 PM
HAHah Nice Ewan I can I have a look at my sources. I may buy one from the usa not sure on their weight though :B