PDA

View Full Version : standard lamp

chuck1
19th April 2014, 06:55 PM
sorry it's sideways! this is a maple lamp I turned a while ago, 2nd pic is the little feet I turned out of a disc then cut into wedges and sanded to look like a cabriole leg.
thanks for looking!

Hermit
19th April 2014, 09:33 PM
Looks good, Charlie, and I like those feet. :2tsup:
Way too long for my little toy lathe. Maybe one day I'll get a 'real' one.

chuck1
19th April 2014, 10:36 PM
hermit it's 3 peices of timber, the top bit is to long for most lathes. the first bead there is a join!

Hermit
19th April 2014, 10:57 PM
hermit it's 3 peices of timber, the top bit is to long for most lathes. the first bead there is a join!

Aha, I didn't think of that. I thought you must have used one of your mega-lathes. Still way too long for mine - I'd need to do it in about 6 pieces. :)

Dalboy
20th April 2014, 02:59 AM
Nice job:2tsup:. How tall is it, I nearly asked what wood t was then re-read your first post:B

chuck1
20th April 2014, 12:39 PM
Nice job:2tsup:. How tall is it, I nearly asked what wood t was then re-read your first post:B

it is 1.410 tall so it can be turned off from being seated

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th April 2014, 04:13 PM
:2tsup: The feet are a nice touch.

No problems line boring it? Or did you go the ol' "route a channel in two halves and glue 'em together to make the turning blanks" route?

If you line bored it on the lathe, could you show us the kit you used? (My set-up is home made and prone to terrible drift. So I'm looking for ideas... :rolleyes:)

chuck1
20th April 2014, 06:03 PM
bored in the lathe, I have to make a new jig with bearing. most of my other lamps are bored through the tailstock with hollow Centre, best to bore half way and end for end it and bore other half going slow and steady removing the shavings often. I just purchased a new long hole borer by P&N for $20 and it will fit into the tecknatool multi centre
I will get photos when I'm in the shed!

smiife
20th April 2014, 07:38 PM
Hi chuckie,
Nice job on the lamp mate, I was wondering how
you would drill though the centre aswell?
nice to see you have "seen the light "
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

Jonzjob
23rd April 2014, 03:47 AM
That's a nice looking lamp Steve. I like the traditional style you have and I look forward to seeing it with the shade on Steve. What kind of light fitting will you use?

I haven't been too sucessful with long hole boring, so when I did my floor standing reading lamp I sawed the oak into 4 and ran the 1/4s through my router table with a champher bit and glued them back together. That worked a treat. Turned in 2 shafts and joined as you have done.

I kept mine very simple, just a slight taper to the join then back out to the switch box. The lamp holder was fun fitting it into the shade. It's a GU10 LED spot, 3.8w and superb to read by.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Anglepoisestandard2_zpsd06cc801.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Johns/Anglepoisestandard2_zpsd06cc801.jpg.html)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Anglepoisestandard1_zps72eaa1bf.jpg (http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Johns/Anglepoisestandard1_zps72eaa1bf.jpg.html)

Being a lazy git I just put 3 PTFE disk feet into shallow holes drilled with a forstner bit. The base is African hard wood, pershing heavy and very stable I'm glad to say.

Hermit
23rd April 2014, 01:52 PM
That's a nice looking lamp Steve. I like the traditional style you have and I look forward to seeing it with the shade on Steve. What kind of light fitting will you use?

That's a very nice looking lamp, JonzJob, but I need to correct something.
Much as I'd love to take credit, the lamp that this thread refers to wasn't made by me, (Steve), but by chuck1, (Charlie). These sorts of turnings are still more than my limited turning talents could handle. I'm an absolute beginner.

Jonzjob
23rd April 2014, 05:40 PM
We've all been beginers Steve and if you get the practice then you will get there mate. I learn something new every time I switch my lathe on and the day I don't then I will give up because I'll know it all :o

Still a lovely lamp!!

chuck1
25th April 2014, 09:14 AM
Steve you should of taken the compliment! :) and thankyou! kind words and honesty!