PDA

View Full Version : Would you call it a bowl ?

Tim_N
19th April 2014, 07:17 PM
Just finished my 2nd "bowl" if you can call it that ... I am not sure exactly what to call it ! N.G. Rosewood, was very dry and dusty turning. I need to get some deep hollowing tools if I am going to be doing stuff like this again, it got very difficult to finish in the bottom and there are still quite a few tool marks down in there. At least the outside looks nice !

310878 310879 310880 310881 Really like the way the wood transitions from light to dark and the grain flows and inverts from up to down.

Plus I managed to finish it in the nick of time ... I noticed the lathe was not feeling or sounding quite right so I opened her up ... no more turning for me this weekend :(

issatree
19th April 2014, 08:04 PM
Hi Tim,
What Lathe did the Belt belong too.
Had my Tough Lathe since 1990, Sits mainly on 3000 RPM. & so far there is nothing wrong with my Belt, fingers crossed.

Tim_N
19th April 2014, 08:23 PM
Hi Tim,
What Lathe did the Belt belong too.
Had my Tough Lathe since 1990, Sits mainly on 3000 RPM. & so far there is nothing wrong with my Belt, fingers crossed.

It's a 2nd hand MC 900. I have no idea how old it is but its relatively new to me i.e. a few months at most.

Hermit
19th April 2014, 09:22 PM
That looks good, Tim, especially for a second attempt at a bowl. :2tsup:
NGR is one of my favourites.

I have the same trouble when sanding the inside of small lidded boxes. Gets to be a problem when the depth is longer than your fingers. What are the dimensions?

If it were made of something else, not timber, I'd call it a cup. An 'unlidded' box? (A lid would look good.)

I've been wondering what the lifespan of my belt will be, and trying to use minimal tension to prolong it's life. Now that you've brought it to the fore, I think I'll order a spare and hang it on the wall ready for when the original fails. Might be hard to get if I leave it until my model is superceded.

Edit: I forgot to ask - what finish did you use?

Tim_N
19th April 2014, 09:44 PM
That looks good, Tim, especially for a second attempt at a bowl. :2tsup:
NGR is one of my favourites.

I have the same trouble when sanding the inside of small lidded boxes. Gets to be a problem when the depth is longer than your fingers. What are the dimensions?

If it were made of something else, not timber, I'd call it a cup. An 'unlidded' box? (A lid would look good.)

I've been wondering what the lifespan of my belt will be, and trying to use minimal tension to prolong it's life. Now that you've brought it to the fore, I think I'll order a spare and hang it on the wall ready for when the original fails. Might be hard to get if I leave it until my model is superceded.

Edit: I forgot to ask - what finish did you use?

Its 10.5cm high, Top diameter is 11cm. Its about 8cm deep, I wanted to keep a little extra wood in the bottom, just to be safe, especially as I was right at the limit of my tool length and tool rest. I could feel the tools starting to get pulled downwards and just knew it was not safe so had to stop.
I sanded to 400 grit and just used clear mineral oil.
Your suggestion on a lid has got me thinking ... I might have to see what I can find which might be suitable once I get a new drive belt.

Christos
20th April 2014, 04:03 AM
Nice. Personally I would call it a cup.

burraboy
20th April 2014, 05:34 AM
Nice. Personally I would call it a cup.
I was thinking more along the "vessel" line.

Dalboy
20th April 2014, 06:04 AM
Some great grain in that pot/vase. Hope you get the belt replaced soon

artme
20th April 2014, 08:43 AM
Nice looking piece of timber there and well turned!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I think it would make a good holder fr odds and sods on your desk.

issatree
20th April 2014, 08:44 PM
Hi Tim,
To my knowledge, those Lathes change speeds a little like the old VW's had to tightened the belt with Shim Washers.
There are 2 Aluminum Discs, & they may have not been machined properly, therefore may have some " Dags " & that may have cut up your Belt.

smiife
20th April 2014, 09:00 PM
Hi tim,
I have looked at your bowl several times
and could not think what it reminded me of
and then I thought it would look great with a
plant pot in it !!! So bowl ? maybe not......
a pot holder yeah maybe,,,,,,
just my thoughts!!
Looks good whatever you call it:U
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

Tim_N
21st April 2014, 09:04 AM
Hi Tim,
To my knowledge, those Lathes change speeds a little like the old VW's had to tightened the belt with Shim Washers.
There are 2 Aluminum Discs, & they may have not been machined properly, therefore may have some " Dags " & that may have cut up your Belt.

Is there a way to "true up" the discs if they do have burrs on them ? I believe the machine is fairly old, but well looked after so it may be that this was the original belt and it is just old and degraded.
I am planning on going hunting for a new belt tomorrow once Easter madness is over and if that one goes quickly then I know there is a problem !

Tim_N
21st April 2014, 09:05 AM
Hi tim,
I have looked at your bowl several times
and could not think what it reminded me of
and then I thought it would look great with a
plant pot in it !!! So bowl ? maybe not......
a pot holder yeah maybe,,,,,,
just my thoughts!!
Looks good whatever you call it:U

The wife said the same thing, it will probably look nice with a small pot and plant in it. Maybe that is how it will end up !

smiife
21st April 2014, 08:15 PM
Hi tim,
The wife is always right:; ,,,, right:;
Happy wife,,,,,........... happy life

Perfect Pens
22nd April 2014, 02:55 PM
Hi Tim,

Nice effort for a second attempt. Love the grain and colour of the NG Rosewood and that piece has a very nice swirl in the grain. what's your next turning going to be I wonder :2tsup:

Cheers
Tony.

Tim_N
22nd April 2014, 07:38 PM
Hi Tim,

Nice effort for a second attempt. Love the grain and colour of the NG Rosewood and that piece has a very nice swirl in the grain. what's your next turning going to be I wonder :2tsup:

Cheers
Tony.

Tony,
I do believe that it will be one of the Sierra pens that I picked up from you this afternoon :) ... I have 3 requests to fill !

DaveTTC
26th April 2014, 10:31 AM
I reckon a lid on this would be good, nice work

reading bout the belt etc ... I presume you know to let your lathe get to speed before you try and change speed?

I have a hafco MC 900 or 1100, I try to put it on slow speed at the end of any turning ready for my next job. I do this incase I forget to check before I mount my next project.

On my Nova I can change the belts so not some much an issue

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art