PDA

View Full Version : WANDI (Western Australia) Demonstration

Willy Nelson
21st April 2014, 02:11 PM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I have been a little slack posting this thread, but I have been baby sitting a poor Easterner who has been drooling over our fine timbers here in WA.

Anyhoo, Neil (Dai Sensei) was kind enough to do a turning demonstration at the Western Australia Wood Turners Association, Wandi, last Thursday. We typically get a turn out of 15 or so members, but this demo we got nearly 30, which is a good effort considering the numbers of people who went away that evening (Easter Thursday).

Neil had spent the day before hand unpacking a bunnings aisle worth of equipment from his Tardis like trailer. His preparation included many resins and castings in various stages in preparation of the demo. This enabled the 'While this sets, Here is one I cast earlier or turner earlier'

The demo was excellent, clearly he is very articulate, skilled and experienced in doing Demos, was a delight to have Neil attend, Thanks

Sincerely
Willy
On behalf of Wandi

artme
21st April 2014, 02:18 PM
Must agree that our friend neil is a great turner, a great scrounger and a great bloke!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

What model Woodfast is that???

dai sensei
21st April 2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks Willy :B. I've played with the photos to brighten them up :wink:

The main demo was making pendants, but I also included alternative finishes and embellishments (for pendants or any turned items) using resins and embedded items. Had a ball.

Artme it is a Woodfast midi belt drive but fitted with a PSI variable speed motor (ie 5 belt positions with variable speed on all). I also spent another day with Willy scrounging a bit more - see here http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=184053&p=1767753#post1767753 :U

Willy Nelson
21st April 2014, 11:37 PM
Yes, good point Neil, I forgot to state what you did in your demo, sorry.

On a brighter note though, after taking the mickey out of you all day Sunday about scrounging every piece of timber, even the rotten, manky, split rubbish, guess what? I tidied up the offcuts today, and cut another 30 pen blanks!!!

Additionally, the large burls I cut up at the sandpit, I turned one today, Wow, stunning, really happy with it, photos to come. I also turned the Wandoo Burl, WOW, it is stunning, but bloody hard, heavy and concrete like effect on chisels.

Sincerely
Willy

dai sensei
22nd April 2014, 12:51 AM
..On a brighter note though, after taking the mickey out of you all day Sunday about scrounging every piece of timber, even the rotten, manky, split rubbish, guess what? I tidied up the offcuts today, and cut another 30 pen blanks!!

I was in a hurry :rolleyes::U