PDA

View Full Version : Kosi heater

micko
16th June 2005, 09:37 AM
I have an old Kosi heater i want to install.I think they were made by Metters or something like that.It has asbestos beading around the doors which i would like to replace with some type of safe material and mica in the door which is damaged.
Does anyone know of where these bits and pieces can be obtained?
Can Mica be replaced by anthing else?

micko

ozwinner
16th June 2005, 07:31 PM
Asbestos and mica, I think its time for the heater to be retired.
Maybe you could give it to a museum??

Al :cool:

echnidna
16th June 2005, 10:30 PM
I"ve seen mica replaced with sheetmetal.
Try Barbecues Galore for bits

journeyman Mick
16th June 2005, 10:43 PM
Micko,
I don't know about the mica, but the asbestos door gasket could be repolaced with high temperature high alumina insulating material (carborundum/fibrefrax or similar) Bestobell (now BEP?) sells it. Other places to try would be a pottery supplier or industrial furnace type suppliers.

Mick

wombat47
17th June 2005, 09:02 AM
If you are trying the pottery suppliers or industrial furnace suppliers, ask about the mica as well. But anyone selling wood heaters should be able to supply the gasket material - possibly also the mica.

You can contact Mica Manufacturing Co. in Calcutta - should be able to order direct. See http://www.micamafco.com/

Also try the science dept of your nearest university, or email any. Sheets of mica are fairly standard items in these places - they should be able to tell you where you can get it.

You might be able to replace the mica with glass, as used in wood heaters, but thickness and cost of cutting to size might be issues.

I thought that Kozi heaters were specifically made to burn coke. Didn't realise you could burn other fuel in them. Or do you have a supply of coke? The black stuff, of course.

Cheers
29th December 2007, 12:37 PM
Hi Micko, my dad was recently given a cast iron Metters Sydney Kosi fireplace/heater(?).

I did a google search and this thread is pretty much the only info I could find. I'm worried about him using it if the white bits on it are asbestos as you mentioned your Kosi had on it.

I would rather him get rid of it in case it's dangerous to use.

Did you end up fixing yours? Thank you.

wonderplumb
29th December 2007, 02:22 PM
The door seal is asbestos, Ive seen one done in pyrex to replace the front glass, as for the seal, there is rolls of the stuff at a factory I look after but I wouldnt know what its called or where to get it.

Smurf
29th December 2007, 10:23 PM
I had my wood heater door seal replaced. It looks like a thick fibreglass (?) rope and it was just pressed into place and secured with some sort of glue.

The new seal plus also having the flue cleaned cost $80 in total.

Cheers
4th January 2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks Wonderplumb & Smurf for your replies. I'll look into the pyrex option.

Smurf, what sort of technician/trade person did you get to fix yours? I don't know what to look up in the Yellow Pages eg. carpenter, cabinet maker etc. I know I don't need either of those...:D any suggestions?