PDA

View Full Version : Unknown seed pods

gawdelpus
22nd April 2014, 05:57 PM
I need some help to identify these seed pods ? I was visiting a friends property over easter near Boonah ,I saw these seed pods under a tree and was wondering what sort of tree they came from ( the owner doesn't know ) but he was told it's quite valuable , I have no idea :) They are about 80 mm long and as hard as , Cheers ~ John

bench1holio
22nd April 2014, 06:37 PM
John im pretty sure theyre crows ash pods

gawdelpus
22nd April 2014, 06:49 PM

Thanks for your answer, I had a browse on some tree ID sites ,as close as I can find is a Cuderie (Flinderia schottiana ) sometimes called Silver Ash or Bumpy ash :) so you may well be right , I usually only only get to see "pen blank sized" bits of timber so have to rely on what I am told they are hehe. Funny thing I didn't notice at first ,but one of the pods is 5 sided,and the other is 6 sided ? some anomoly here I think.
Cheers ~ John

dai sensei
22nd April 2014, 06:55 PM

+1 Crows Ash

gawdelpus
22nd April 2014, 06:58 PM
+1 Crows Ash

Thanks Neil ,lucky we didn't tread on any of those in the grass when we slabbed that crows ash a while back hehe, cheers ~ John

Xanthorrhoeas
24th April 2014, 11:14 PM
Definitely genus Flindersia, John. Cannot be anything else. Species depends on leaves, bark etc. Really bad news for bare feet (ouch!). But beautiful timbers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rod Gilbert
25th April 2014, 07:47 AM
Again crows ash our kid's used to spray them gold and red and white and use for decorations on the Christmas tree.
Regards Rod.

Tony Morton
25th April 2014, 09:50 PM
Try yellow Carrabeen or Deep yellow wood.
Cheers Tony