PDA

View Full Version : The best wheels?

martink
16th June 2005, 10:10 AM
Hi all,

I am in the process of making a number of cabinets for mounting mitre saw, drill press etc and am looking around for some castor wheels for the cabinet. I'm after wheels that lock to the don't move or spin around. I checked bunnies and they have what I am after but it's $40 per wheel. Given that I need 4 per cab & I'm making 5 cabs I'm up for $800!! Does anyone know of something that will do the job that is cheaper?

Thanks,

Martin.

Stylesy
16th June 2005, 01:23 PM
Martin,

Googled and came up with this: http://www.reflexequip.com.au/branch_locations.htm

They appear to have branches in Sydney, along with an online store. Usual disclaimer about no affiliation, etc (also means I don't know whether they're any good :o ).
$40 a wheel sounds a bit steep - what size are you getting? For the price of just 2 wheels, you could get something like this: http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsearch/default.aspx?txtSearchBox=machine+stand

Jack E
16th June 2005, 01:43 PM
Or for slightly more than the price of one wheel plus a little bit of hardwood, you could get these,

http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/header-1204public__0-0.html?cache=no

They are pretty good and when the base is not in the mobile mode they are sturdy.

I have castors on my SCMS stand, 2 x fixed at rear and 2 x swivel at front. It is a real pain in the butt to move. I would consider swivels all round if you go the castor option.

Jack.

craigb
16th June 2005, 01:52 PM
I put 2 swivel and 2 fixed on my SCMS stand too and would have to say I agree with Jack E.

I just bought them from a hardware shop (not bunnies). The fixed weels were $10 each and the castors with the brake were $16 each.

Still fairly expensive but not $40 per wheel :eek:

grinner
16th June 2005, 01:54 PM
I think super cheap auto have a selection of cheap wheels

Grinner

Waldo
16th June 2005, 02:07 PM
G'day Martink,

Have a look at what Soundman has for sale, could be he answer you are looking for:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15179

Gaza
16th June 2005, 02:14 PM
There must be some cheap asian ones around for a couple of bucks. I have seen them in a $2.00 store, maybe even try ebay, it seems that every thing is now on there.

or sneak into work on saturday with a grinder and "borrow" the wheels off the office furniture.

AlexS
16th June 2005, 02:26 PM
H&F had them on special last time I was there 4 for $10 for locking casters if I remember correctly.

lesmeyer
16th June 2005, 02:27 PM
Martin,

I last weekend I purchased a set of 4 heavy duty loacking castors from Carbatec for $60 for the set. Very good quality and to be used as heavy duty.
Regards
Les

Landseka
16th June 2005, 04:21 PM
Not sure if this is any help to you Martin, I can't believe I am the only one to use this method though.

With two small wheels mounted on an angle, the cabinet can be easilly moved like a wheelbarrow. When at rest it sits solidly on its base.

In hindsight the handles should have been made to drop out of the way when not in use to save space.

Regards

Neil.

Jack E
16th June 2005, 04:35 PM
Landseka,

You could mount the handles with a through bolt as a swivel point at the back of the cabinet (above the wheels).
Leave the handles free at the front.
Fix bolts that extend out each side from the case where the handles will butt against them when raised at the front.
When not being moved the front of the handles can then drop down and rest on the floor.
This will mean your handles will not protrude and you may also be able to make them longer.

Jack.

mjford
16th June 2005, 08:26 PM
Landseka
I like the look of the shaving vacum thingy on your thicknesser,
does it work OK and how much suck does it need

DarrylF
16th June 2005, 08:39 PM
Supercheap have a bunch of different wheels & castors very cheap. They look a whole lot like the Bunnies versions, but at a fraction of the price.

joseph84
16th June 2005, 09:43 PM
Ive also used the same method as Landseka for my home made router table and it works a treat. When the table is in use the wheels are off the ground which means it wont slide.

I guess great mind think alike hey Landseka ;)

joseph84
16th June 2005, 09:54 PM
Ive also used the same method as Landseka for my home made router table and it works a treat. When the table is in use the wheels are off the ground which means it wont slide.

I guess great mind think alike hey Landseka ;)

boban
16th June 2005, 09:55 PM
Ive bought my wheels from Parklea Markets. They are always there and cheap. I havent had a problem with them yet. About $8 for the locking type (~80 or 100mm)

Guy
16th June 2005, 09:58 PM
Ive been buying 93mm high ones for $5 for fixed and $7 for locking swivel ones from a hardware store in Springvale. they have lasted for the past 2 years and i got some more from the same store 2 weeks ago.

soundman
16th June 2005, 11:55 PM
Good wheels cost.
mobile bases from the usual suspects can be good. especialy mine.
super cheep have a lot of real cheap quite ok castors but I dont think they do a realy good heavy locker.
I use a few castors from time to time & say the work locking & it gets much dearer.
4" Gutell blue resilex standard swivel cost me arround $18 to 20 lockers cost me at least $30. 3" are much cheaper.

cheers

Landseka
17th June 2005, 12:50 PM
Landseka
I like the look of the shaving vacum thingy on your thicknesser,
does it work OK and how much suck does it need
Hi Mjford, I got the idea from here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=129171#post129171). It works ok for me on smaller boards, ie under 100mm wide, and as long as I dont go too heavy on the cutting depth.

I am only using a vaccumn cleaner running through a cyclone system. I reckon a proper DC with 100mm piping would make it an awesome sucker.

Regards

Neil.

Wizened of Oz
17th June 2005, 06:41 PM
That price ($40 per wheel) is extraordinary. My experience is that Super Cheap Auto have very cheap castors. They are crap but okay for something you move occasionally. The local hardware & Bunnings have a range with a bit better quality at twice the price.
When I want good castors I go to CBC Bearings. They have branches everywhere and stock or can get in quickly excellent European made castors in many configurations. You will find most industrial bearing suppliers sell a range of quality castors.

Kind regards
Brian

soundman
18th June 2005, 09:48 PM
I checked out both supercheap & bunnings in passing in the last few days.
No a decent locking castor to be seen.
Yep they both got a range of wheels & castors. Supercheap have some very well priced light load stuff. But nothing that would take any serious weight or lock positively or reliably.
If you go to a wheels & castor place or a materials handling place you will find some good stuff at a reasonable price.
The post was titled "The best wheels"
Good wheels is one thing cheap wheels is another thing all together.
wheels by "falshaw", "gutell" and some others are strong, reliable & quote engineering ratings.
I have been known to use cheap wheels but not under anthing heavy or that matters.
cheers