PDA

View Full Version : semi-auto "Delayed off" switch

BobL
25th April 2014, 06:05 PM
ADDED BY ADMIN

DISCLAIMER

No liability is accepted by UBeaut or the Wood Working Forum's administrators
or moderators for advice offered by members posting replies
or asking questions regarding electrical work.
We strongly advise contacting a Licensed Tradeperson for all electrical work.
WARNING

Information supplied within posts is not to be considered as detailed formal instructions to complete a task.
Members following such information do so at their own risk

WARNING: This is a Mains AC project. DO not attempt this unless you are competent and comfortable with Mains AC voltages.

Members have been following my threads on the Dust forum might remember that I advocate running a dust collector (DC) for some time after the last dust making activity.
The additional time to run the dust collection varies depending on factors like,
- how long the dust making activity base been going on for
- type of material being cut
- type of dust making activity
- flow rate of DC
- size of shed

The times will vary from a couple of minutes for a large DC in a small shed to indefinitely for a small DC in a large shed. Typical times for me (medium sized shed 3HP DC) would be anywhere from a few minutes to perhaps 10 minutes.

What I have been after to semi-sutomate this is know as a “Delayed power off” timer. There are simple "off the shelf" electronic kits out there that will do this for low power devices but do not meet the power requirements for a bigger DC. There are also more complicated (and expensive) kits that can be used to trigger relays according to set times. These are overly sophisticated for what I’m after and still require the purchase and wiring up of power relays to perform the actual switching.

I had designed a timer from scratch but while scavenging during a council pickup I found what looked like some sort of 3 Phase air conditioner controller which consisted of several enclosures, a bunch of 3 phase wires, conduit, contactors, relays and a couple of industrial strength timers inside it. I used the 3 Phase wiring harness to wire up my linisher.

Anyway after a bi tot mucking about here is what I came up with as "delayed offf" timer.
My unit can be hard wired to a machine in place of a no-volt switch however, for my ease of use I have attached it to a pair of 15A plugs and sockets so it can be inserted between mains AC and a machine. If the machine has a no-volt switch on it this needs to be removed otherwise the timer will not work correctly. Please be aware that removing a NVS from any machine represents a risk in that someone that does not know about this could then plug a machine straight into the mains.

Here is the semi schematic circuit diagram.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=311558&stc=1
For safety, power is supplied though a no-volt switch (NVS). This then supplies power to a terminal block and continuous power to a 240-16VAC transformer (scavenged from a stove also picked up at council pickup time). The 16VAC is converted to 12V DC via a button bridge rectifier (BR) also from the same stove, and then directed via a switch (SW) to power either relay 1 (R1) OR via the timer to power relay 2. (R2)
R1 and R2 are power relays and can switch 240V /30A - I bought these from Altronics.

When SW provides 12V to R1 (R2 and the timer are off) which turns R1 on providing full mains power indefinitely direct to the outlet so the machine will run until it is manually turned off. When SW is toggled the other way, R1 switches off while 240VAC is provided to the timer to start the timing sequence, as well as proving 12V DC to R2 so it can close and provide full mains power to the outlet.

The time is controlled by the timer which is an Omron H3CR-8A model which I also obtained from the air-conditioning controller.
This is a simple contact-only timer/switcher with 4 simple operational modes set manually by rotary switch (D). The four mode are, delay before on, pulse on, pulse off, and delay before off. Omron like units are valuable on ebay complete with their respective bases for around $20. I'm running the timer under "delay before off" mode. The time ranges (deci-sces, secs, mins, hrs, 10s of hrs) over which the timer operates is set manually using a rotary switches A & B on the front of the unit. For my DC use I use a range of 0 to 12 minutes. The unit does have a couple of indicator lights (C) that tell you when it is "on" (POWER light) and if it is in the middle of a timing Sequence (OUT) which is handy. As the end of the timing sequence approaches OUT also flashes.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=311561&stc=1

Once the timing sequence is started the full mains power will continue to be supplied via R2 until the preset time set on the timer elapses which them tuns R2 off. The unit then remains in a safe mode with both R1 and R2 off until operator intervention.

And here is what the unit looks like inside.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=311559&stc=1
The components are enclosed in a transparent box but it does not need to be, this was just one of the enclosures on the air conditioning controller.
If it looks like spaghetti junction, it is. This makes it difficult to test and part of this is because I wanted to reuse the transparent covered box with the switches attached to the cover which requires longer leads so the cover can be removed.
With some thought the wiring could be tidied up considerably. I used insulated spade connectors which is appropriate for AC power but all the 12V relay control lines could have been soldered.

Outside it looks a bit better.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=311560&stc=1
The modes of operation are thus.
Normal use: set SW to power up R1 and the machine will run until operate intervention.
Delayed off use: After normal use, set the timer to how long you want the machine to keep running and then set SW to the other position and walk way.
Anticipated delayed off use: If you wish to perform a dust making activity for a brief period e.g.: a couple of cuts on a TS, then when you start the machine you can use the delayed off mode but add enough time to incorporate the expected work time, This saves the need to return to the switch to switch it to delayed off.

The time period the unit stays on for after switching is controlled by a rotary knob on the front of the timer. If the unit is already running in timing mode and a different time is required the unit does need to be reset by switching SW on-off.
The knob on the timer must be set before the reset.

The costs for me were the NVS, power relays ($16), the 15A plug and socket, a terminal block, and few connectors. If you had to pay for all of the components it should still be possible to purchase most of these on ebay for <$100.

Improvements:
I was thinking of adding some LEDs so that I could tell what mode it was running in from the other side of the shed.
Thanks for looking.

PS I need too cut some ventilation holes in the box as the transformer warms up the contents after a couple of hours.
The circuit could be simplified using relays that work direct from 240V

Chris Parks
26th April 2014, 11:48 PM
The one that Corrimal Men's Shed did..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvk8FE0RlRc#t=26

BobL
27th April 2014, 12:29 AM
From what I can tell, at the Corrimal men's shed their DC runs continuously and the blast gates are controlled by machinery so that they open automatically when a machine starts and close a fixed 5 seconds after the power is turned off. 5 seconds is enough to clear a duct but not long enough to clear a shed.

The idea behind my timer is that in my shed (and in all woodworkers I know) their DC does not run continuously. The delayed off means I can make some serious dust and then go to lunch or the shops and the DC will continue to clear the shed for a preset time. And if I happen to stop at mums for tea then I don't need to worry about the DC being on.

The next timer I going to make is for my compressor. I just want something that turns it off (whether it's on or not) every night at 9pm. For that I might just use a conventional 240V timer to control a 240V relay to turn the compressor power off. I can't use a standard 240V timer direct as they are only good for 10A.

Chris Parks
27th April 2014, 12:54 AM
Bob, You don't need anything to run it longer if a VFD is used as they did as the VFD can be programmed to any delay you want. Their controller can be configured to run a DE directly with any delay you need but they chose to control the blast gate on each machine. It is a very neat and minimilist answer to the problem but there are delay timers that can count down if I remember correctly, will this work?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-220V-240V-16A-LCD-Digital-Programmable-Control-Power-Timer-Switch-Time-Relay-/291111743935?_trksid=p2054897.l5662

I am not an electrician so I haven't a clue but it looks good for under $10

BobL
27th April 2014, 01:33 AM
Bob, You don't need anything to run it longer if a VFD is used as they did as the VFD can be programmed to any delay you want. Their controller can be configured to run a DE directly with any delay you need but they chose to control the blast gate on each machine. It is a very neat and minimilist answer to the problem but there are delay timers that can count down if I remember correctly, will this work?

We're talking about different problems here.
The 5 seconds clears a duct but it won't clear the shed of fine dust that has escaped a machine no matter how big a DC is used.
To clear a space of dust typically requires about 10 space volume air changes so we need minutes not seconds of DC time.

Hence I want to be able to let the DC run with a user selectable time that may vary after every use of a DC. A VFD will work with a programmed time but if I want a different time I'd have to reprogram the VFD every time to do this - that' the last thing I'd want to be doing before eg lunch or beer'o'clock. My setup now requires a quick twist of the timer knob to the time I want, and then flip the delay off switch off-on and I walk away and does not need a VFD to do it.

Here's an example pattern of use.

Bandsaw, 3 cuts in MDF - 5 minute delayed off
Half an hour later, 4 TC cuts in PVC - 1 minute delayed off.
10 minutes later 20 longish cuts in dry jarrah just before lunch on the TS - 10 minute delayed off
After lunch
10 minutes on a thicknesser - 10 minute delayed of
just before going for arvo tea 20 minute use of orbital sander - 15 minutes delayed off.
ETC

If power cost nothing and I didn't mind the hissing noise in the ducting I'd just leave the DC running all the time but I do like to work as quiet as possible when I can and I want to work in clean air. What I have been doing is leaving the DC on and then minutes later thinking when did I stop making dust and can't remember so I leave it on and then half an hour goes by before I thing - I do need to turn it off.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AC-220V-240V-16A-LCD-Digital-Programmable-Control-Power-Timer-Switch-Time-Relay-/291111743935?_trksid=p2054897.l5662
I am not an electrician so I haven't a clue but it looks good for under $10

That timer is a standard "fixed time to turn on and off" on a daily weekly cycle, the same as those security type light switches that can be bought at Bunnings.
The delay has to be preprogrammed for time of day, day of week etc. I've looked at dozens of these and haven't found one that can do the short intervals as flexibly as I'm after.
Besides they are all only good for 10A.

Chris Parks
27th April 2014, 02:25 AM
I thought it said 16 amp in the specs? I seriously doubt that a different time is needed every day but then I like to keep life simple.

BobL
27th April 2014, 06:56 AM
I thought it said 16 amp in the specs?
Chinese Amps maybe - the relays won't be designed to handle the repeated switching on-off of the higher start up loads required for a large motor as I don't have a VFD/3 phase on my DC. It might be OK for use with a VFD in a shed that operates for a preset time, e.g. 8 am to 5pm, 5 days a week and automatically turns off the DC at say 5:15 pm but that is not how I work. I do have use for such a timer in automatically turning off my compressor at say 9pm so it don't go off in the middle of the night but even then "some additional circuitry" will be needed for reasons that will become apparent when I post about this. I already pulled an old timer apart to get at the guts of it to use in the compressor switch.

I seriously doubt that a different time is needed every day but then I like to keep life simple.

Not every day, but for every dust making task.

I agree that a different time is not needed for every task. I may end up setting a default time of say five minutes as this would cover most tasks, and only using longer than this for those tasks that really need it.
I have monitored the dust levels that result after a number of dust making tasks and identified a definite need for this. In some cases like drilling where all fine dust is usually captured at source then no extra time at all is needed. My lathe hood is also very effective for short (~200mm) spindle (~50 mm diam) work, to the point where I won't need extra run time for something small like a chisel handle, but less so for longer and larger diam work. I also expect to use it many times in anticipatory mode. eg I know I need to make 3 cuts on the TS so I need to walk over and turn on the DC anyway. Before starting the DC I set the timer for say 2 minutes and then do my task and don't have to go back and turn it off as it will do it automatically

At the metal work end of the shed I have a spray/fume/welding booth extractor fan that could also use one of these timers but that has two things going for it that the DC does not.
The motor on the fume hood fan draws only 1.3A (versus ~9.X on the DC) and is also much quieter than the ducting hiss the DC generates inside the shed. Hence, when I weld or make metal dust I usually just leave it running, and turn it off when I leave the shed as by then I have turned off the other stuff and can then hear it. Dust from grinding is still a problem as the shed seems to eventually get covered in grey dust. I need to do something about the small metal linseed that I seem to be using more and more.

BobL
27th April 2014, 09:50 PM
While sorting out some junk today I cam across an old clothes drier power switch and timer. You know the driers with the rotary knob that you turn the drier on, turn the knob to the desired time and walk away. They are mechanical and make a very satisfying tic-tic-tic sound as they count down the time. They are limited to 10A but for 2HP and small DCs this could be used directly to run the DC. You'd have to calibrate the knob setting to get a more accurate timing but it does not need to be exact.

For a 3HP or greater DC the old rotary timer could also be used but it would need to hold closed a 240V high current relay that the timer could turn off.

These rotary knob timers are available on every street during kerbside pick days, I must get myself a couple more at the next opportunity.

BobL
14th May 2014, 03:46 PM
I finally decided to hang this thing on the wall and added a spare V/I meter which I had.
I've been using it for a while now and I like it.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=313526&stc=1

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=313525&stc=1