PDA

View Full Version : Just another typical weekend in WA

Willy Nelson
27th April 2014, 05:53 PM
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen

Now that I know Dai Sensai (Neil) has left our fine state, I know it is safe to resume normal Burl hunting operations.

We left thursday afternoon for a a two hour drive East to a farm we camp on quite ofterm 6 blokes, 5 motorbikes, two dogs and a 660 chainsaw with a 36 inch bar (I knew I needed the big bar for what was to come.

I shall skip all the boring stuff about motorbikes, shooting, camping, the 11.00 O'clock Dawn Service (yep, sleepy town) but was an excellent service (all of us are ex-Navy and turned up with medals etc and being out of towners, but they made us feel very welcome and the CWA ladies put on a great spread, anyhoo

The Wandoo Burl was huge, larger than I remember and incredibly hard and dry. I needed to sharpen the bar after every slab. I didn't touch the huge burl in the photo, just the smaller one which would have weighed 500 kgs. The same tree also had 1/2 a dozen smaller burls as well. I went through two tanks of fuel just cutting Wandoo!!!!! I left about 1000kgs of Wandoo for next time

Had enough of that and reserved the remaining 1/2 tank for a Jarrah Burl I had found on the ground last trip. Took about 1/3 of that before I needed to leave the area for the ANZAC day service.

Last day, went for a drive with the daughter who is about to get her licence and taught her to drive in a very empty paddock, but found a huge York Gum Burl, can't leave that there, sliced it off.

What a fantastic weekend

Cheers
Willy

Jarrahland

Bruce White
27th April 2014, 06:45 PM
So I assume the other 5 blokes did the heavy work? Shoulder better?

artme
27th April 2014, 06:58 PM
Sheesh Willy, You trying to outdo Mapleman???!!!!

Bloody good score!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Willy Nelson
27th April 2014, 11:05 PM
So I assume the other 5 blokes did the heavy work? Shoulder better?

Ha Ha, yeah, shoulder still sore, but I managed to take the kids to the trampoline centre today at BOUNCE, even did some myself :D

Bruce White
28th April 2014, 10:44 AM
200 km east of Perth? You could have lightened your load by dropping some at my place - you could only have been 50 km or so short of here. And I may even have shouted you a beer too!

Christos
28th April 2014, 11:11 AM
Typical.

:U

dai sensei
28th April 2014, 09:07 PM
A burl trip without me :cry4:. You really know how to rub it in :C

Still babies compared to some of the ones I saw on the return trip. Definitely more on the inland route to those I saw on the coastal route to Perth.

smiife
28th April 2014, 09:39 PM
A burl trip without me :cry4:. You really know how to rub it in :C

Still babies compared to some of the ones I saw on the return trip. Definitely more on the inland route to those I saw on the coastal route to Perth.

Hi neal,
That willy has far too many burls over there, couldn, t you
trade that ute In on a b-double and bring some back east
for us.......just make sure willy isn, t looking:U
:)(

Big A
28th April 2014, 10:23 PM
"I needed to sharpen the bar after every slab."

No wonder you needed to sharpen so often - you had the blade wrong way up:U.

"A".