PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Roller - Timber Choice????

DaveTTC
29th April 2014, 12:13 AM
G'day all,

So I have a job to make a roller for the front of a roller lawn mower. Awaiting dimensions but guessing a cylinder about 450 long, maybe 600 x 100 - 150.

This will be a daily use machine.

What timber would you recommend for a lawn mower. The guy says he wants 'bling factor'

Hope someone can help. Worried about movement myself with summer and winter and moisture from the lawn.

Also ... how to finish it - oil?

Thanks

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

ian
29th April 2014, 01:37 AM
"Bling factor" would imply to me laminated construction using different coloured timbers and possibly an interesting pattern.

maybe something like the pattern on one of these vases ?

http://www.bungendorewoodworks.com.au/sites/default/files/styles/4c_cata_square/public/field/products/Vodden-Segmented-Vases-02.jpg?itok=f_qXBpgg

timber?
any fairly stable hardwood should do -- "bling" implies (to me) that the mower is for display not use

Paul39
29th April 2014, 04:28 AM
G'day all,

So I have a job to make a roller for the front of a roller lawn mower. Awaiting dimensions but guessing a cylinder about 450 long, maybe 600 x 100 - 150.

What timber would you recommend for a lawn mower. The guy says he wants 'bling factor'

Thanks

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Any hard tough timber. There are any number of expensive highly figured timbers, how many available in AU I can't say.

See: http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/exotic_hardwoods/exotic_woods.html

Finish with applying Tung oil cut half & half with mineral spirits until it will take up no more, then full strength Tung oil applied with a rag to the roll while turning on the lathe.

Assuming a velvet smooth lawn with no rocks, it will look pretty for a long time. The soaked in Tung oil keeps out moisture. I use it on outdoor door sills as well on all my bowls, tool handles, mushrooms, eggs, etc.

chuck1
29th April 2014, 06:45 AM
Will you get to see the sample? to see what the manufacturer had used? thinking on my feet you can buy pre laminated merbau/ kwilla or some iron bark?
I look forward to seeing the finished product!

DaveTTC
29th April 2014, 09:04 AM
Paul - thanks, I will look at getting tung oil

Will you get to see the sample? to see what the manufacturer had used? thinking on my feet you can buy pre laminated merbau/ kwilla or some iron bark?
I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Chuck, this is a new Honda mower, the orginal roller is still very new and shiny chrome. I cant understand why he wants to change to wood?

Yes he says this will be his daily ride, I guess he does it for a job - lawns

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DaveTTC
29th April 2014, 09:14 AM
Ian

love your work ... that would be one awesome roller. Im thinking there would be different movement rates as he assures me this really is a user

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

chuck1
29th April 2014, 05:12 PM
the grass might stick to the metal more than timber?! you can get get a tin of stuff that seals the the timber we use on exterior Timber, cant remember the name of it! we use it on treated pine staircases!

DaveTTC
29th April 2014, 06:17 PM
the grass might stick to the metal more than timber?! you can get get a tin of stuff that seals the the timber we use on exterior Timber, cant remember the name of it! we use it on treated pine staircases!

If you happen to remember ....

The guy is talking BullOak ... does that sound like a vaible species to use

More info 80 mm D x 430 mm long with a 10 mm bore down the middle and bearing seated in each end.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

smiife
29th April 2014, 08:29 PM
G'day all,

Hope someone can help. Worried about movement myself with summer and winter and moisture from the lawn.

Thanks

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Hi dave,
How about a spiral model???:roflmao::roflmao:

DaveTTC
30th April 2014, 10:55 AM
Hi dave,
How about a spiral model???:roflmao::roflmao:

Dont laugh ... I thought about it

Big spiral then cast in resin and turn down to given size. How would resin hold up for a front roller on a mower?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DaveTTC
30th April 2014, 10:56 AM
Rethink ... spiral from each end so it looks like and arrow head pointing forwards as he pushes it along

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Christos
30th April 2014, 01:35 PM
I am not sure on the resin idea. I was under the impression that resin cracks when hit unless there is something inside the resined item.

I have made a few bowls and filled voids with resin. Never dropped one so can not confirm.

MrFez
30th April 2014, 05:18 PM
Have you considered Cypress Pine? A good hard-wearing outdoor timber that would naturally resist moisture.

Dave

DaveTTC
30th April 2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks Christos,

Ive never done any resin so all advice in that area is appreciated

Have you considered Cypress Pine? A good hard-wearing outdoor timber that would naturally resist moisture.

Dave

Dave,

I am not sure how it would weather overall. I am not hugely experienced with timbers though worked with it (pine) all my life. Any Cypress Pine I have seen exposed to the elements has cracked ... not sure how it would stand up in this case

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Colin62
30th April 2014, 07:40 PM
Just some thoughts on this, in no particular order. :)

If it's his "daily ride" and he cares enough to pimp his ride, then he'll probably be doing regular lubrication and other maintenance and cleaning, so he'll probably be quite happy to oil the roller frequently, which should prevent any moisture related issues. Any finish you put on it will wear off, so it'll need to be oiled anyway.

I'd go for something that is fairly stable and doesn't shrink too much when it dries - woods used for musical instruments (wood winds that is) are usually chosen for their stability (and resonance obviously), so picking something used for instruments would make some sense - resonance usually requires some hardness. I don't know your woods, but over here I'd probably use mopane.

ian
30th April 2014, 08:10 PM
"Bling factor" would imply to me laminated construction using different coloured timbers and possibly an interesting pattern.

maybe something like the pattern on one of these vases ?

http://www.bungendorewoodworks.com.au/sites/default/files/styles/4c_cata_square/public/field/products/Vodden-Segmented-Vases-02.jpg?itok=f_qXBpgg

timber?
any fairly stable hardwood should do -- "bling" implies (to me) that the mower is for display not use

Ian

love your work ... that would be one awesome roller. Im thinking there would be different movement rates as he assures me this really is a userHi Dave

wish I could claim the examples as mine, but I can't.

What I was trying to do was give you an example of where "bling" could take you both as a personal challenge and as a means of maximising what the client will give you.

in terms of the roller, I suspect that grass doesn't stick to wood as much as it does to metal
also, wooden rollers on the front of mowers (seen via google) seem to be composed of two or three sections

Sawdust Maker
30th April 2014, 08:52 PM
How about something like this

Yes I know it's a pen but the laminating will work just as well for a rolling pin or, maybe, a mower roller - Jarrah and spotty Gum would work

PS the method is actually quite easy

DaveTTC
30th April 2014, 10:52 PM
Just some thoughts on this, in no particular order. :)

If it's his "daily ride" and he cares enough to pimp his ride, then he'll probably be doing regular lubrication and other maintenance and cleaning, so he'll probably be quite happy to oil the roller frequently, which should prevent any moisture related issues. Any finish you put on it will wear off, so it'll need to be oiled anyway.

I'd go for something that is fairly stable and doesn't shrink too much when it dries - woods used for musical instruments (wood winds that is) are usually chosen for their stability (and resonance obviously), so picking something used for instruments would make some sense - resonance usually requires some hardness. I don't know your woods, but over here I'd probably use mopane.
I will have to see if someone chimes in with any aussie woods used for wood winds

Hi Dave

wish I could claim the examples as mine, but I can't.

What I was trying to do was give you an example of where "bling" could take you both as a personal challenge and as a means of maximising what the client will give you.

in terms of the roller, I suspect that grass doesn't stick to wood as much as it does to metal
also, wooden rollers on the front of mowers (seen via google) seem to be composed of two or three sections
Particularly the short one appeals to me. I will have to google some of these mowers to see the old rollers

Yes I know it's a pen but the laminating will work just as well for a rolling pin or, maybe, a mower roller - Jarrah and spotty Gum would work

That looks like a nice pen ... the ideas are 'rolling' in

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

DaveTTC
30th April 2014, 10:54 PM

dont know how the previous quote I did ended up with the wrong name on it ... just thought I would repost to give you the credit

thanks

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

bowl-basher
1st May 2014, 10:59 AM
In the good old days when I was an active wood turner :C I made a lot of these rollers for a bloke who restored old push mowers and found that most of our timbers are great.
Some of the best ones were made from Camphor laurel and Sally wattle with a Celtic ring in the centre also made one from Pecan nut tree that was rather spece
Sorry no photos but that computer is long dead
Regards
Bowl-Basher

DaveTTC
1st May 2014, 09:02 PM
Thats great info there .... pitty you got no pics. I can imagine Camphor laurel would look good, have heard of Sally Wattle but not familiar with it.

How did you do the Celtic ring - not sure what it looks like might have to google it

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

bowl-basher
2nd May 2014, 09:03 AM
Thats great info there .... pitty you got no pics. I can imagine Camphor laurel would look good, have heard of Sally Wattle but not familiar with it.

How did you do the Celtic ring - not sure what it looks like might have to google it

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Dave
The Celtic ring is rather simple basically you cut the blank at an angle and replace the kerf with a contrasting infill glue it up and do the same on all 4 sides of the blank
you have to be very careful that the cut is Exactly the same on all four sides ( a stopped jig or sled on the saw is the best ) and the infill must be the same as the cut
The pen turners use this a lot this link may help http://woodworkerszone.com/igits/showthread.php?t=10068 have fun
Bowl-Basher

Hermit
2nd May 2014, 03:08 PM
Here's another couple of possibilities, stolen from rolling pins:

312314 312315 312313

Or maybe one built up from segmented rings?

DaveTTC
2nd May 2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks Bowl Basher

good pics Hermit. more options to look at ... better make sure I use the right glue

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Hermit
2nd May 2014, 04:33 PM
Some are a bit overly fancy & complicated, but I thought they might be food for thought. Those Celtic-style ones are nice, aren't they?
Titebond III is possibly the way to go if you make a laminated one, along with really good sealing.

A one-piece from nice, figured timber would look great, too, and wouldn't have the same risk of coming apart with use in moist grass.

DaveTTC
3rd May 2014, 07:12 PM
Thought I would have a play around with the specified profile

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/by5a3aga.jpg

This is oversized at 120mm finished size is 80mm

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/a3agatar.jpg

This is camphor laurel that I had laying around for about 6 months. I expect it will ikely move.

The ends as specified need to have an internal champher tapering back to a bearing.

I feel rather inspired to try something a little different thanks to the in put of all so far

thanks

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

smiife
3rd May 2014, 07:47 PM
Hi dave,
Looks like you have been a busy boy today:U

DaveTTC
3rd May 2014, 08:02 PM
yeah been doing a bit ... that second pic is not the one I tried to upload though

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/uza6a6as.jpg

thats the one

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

smiife
3rd May 2014, 08:10 PM
yeah been doing a bit ... that second pic is not the one I tried to upload though

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/uza6a6as.jpg

thats the one

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Yeah, I thought It was a bit small:o

Hermit
3rd May 2014, 08:28 PM
Looking good, mate. :2tsup:
(And you're going to have to 'help' Tyler to make something to show on the forums too, now that he's a member. :wink: )

DaveTTC
3rd May 2014, 09:06 PM
Looking good, mate. :2tsup:
(And you're going to have to 'help' Tyler to make something to show on the forums too, now that he's a member. :wink: )

Yeah I think I will give him every friday after school a couple of hours in the cave to go through the 'scrap bin' to build whatevery he wants.

He was eyeing off my nail gun yesterday wanting to know what that does - yikes

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Hermit
3rd May 2014, 09:20 PM
Yeah I think I will give him every friday after school a couple of hours in the cave to go through the 'scrap bin' to build whatevery he wants.
He was eyeing off my nail gun yesterday wanting to know what that does - yikes
Dave the turning cowboy
turning wood into art

:oo: A bit lot scary.