PDA

View Full Version : trend pro air shield

fubar
30th April 2014, 05:23 PM
Well I have charged my new airpro for 24 hours as instructed and have used it in anger for the first time. WOW what a difference

I have been using disposable masks, a face shield and dust extractor at the end of a turning session dust in the beard, eyes, nose and throat with the Airpro nothing face is clean feels good.

the noise takes a minute or two to get used to but it disappears into the background and the same with the weight .

I cant rate it high enough should have done this years ago

anyone thinking about getting one do so you wont regret it.

only negative I can see will be the battery charger it doesnt switch off after fully charging and can cook the batteries has anyone else come up with a fix for this?

thanks Dennis

Simplicity
30th April 2014, 06:14 PM
Could you use just an ordinary timer switch on the power plug

Colin62
30th April 2014, 07:48 PM
only negative I can see will be the battery charger it doesnt switch off after fully charging and can cook the batteries has anyone else come up with a fix for this?

You need to do more turning, that way it won't have a chance to overcharge :D

fubar
1st May 2014, 11:11 AM
Could you use just an ordinary timer switch on the power plug

:doh:doh!!!!

PLD
1st May 2014, 11:35 AM
Timer switch! Now that is a great idea! Seems like I read on a forum where there was s a tutorial on making a smart charger, but I have no idea where or when it was. But a timer switch is a whole lot easier, probably cheaper and, well, thanks for the idea!

grantoboy
3rd September 2014, 12:11 PM
How have you got on with the charging of the unit?

I have just jumped in and bought one from Amazon, got the shield, ear defenders, extra battery and a desktop charger for under $530 plus shipping. The shields are on special at Carbatec for $573 plus postage and that does not include the extra bits.

I might have the link for the smart charger option, check out the video I have linked. The smart chargers they talk about are not located in Aus but you can get them on Ebay for under $40 delivered. The charger also handles our 240volt power, you just need to either bend the pins on the US style plug or swap it with an Aus figure 8 style plug and its good to use. Add a plug that suits the helmet and off you go.

Can anyone tell me if the unit runs when plugged into the charger with no battery? Thinking of making a belt clip battery pack to help remove some of the weight from the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV-yMPfvRsY

hughie
5th September 2014, 10:56 AM
Looking at this and the shield I would this is darn fine idea :2tsup: I wonder how much of a bump can the shield take? It looks much like safety shield as well .

grantoboy
5th September 2014, 11:17 AM
Looking at this and the shield I would this is darn fine idea :2tsup: I wonder how much of a bump can the shield take? It looks much like safety shield as well .
I have read reviews of a guy turning a bowl that let go and it hit him straight in the face/sheild. He stated he got a black eye from it but was glad he had the sheild on as it took most of the blow and stated he would have ended up with broken bones if the shield was not on.

Bendle
5th September 2014, 12:12 PM
I bought my Pro Air Shield at Pops shed for $495 about 6 months ago.

grantoboy
5th September 2014, 01:13 PM
I bought my Pro Air Shield at Pops shed for $495 about 6 months ago.
How do you find it? Is it worth the money and can you does it turn on when plugged in with no battery?

Evanism
5th September 2014, 05:13 PM
Has anyone tried the ear muffs?

grantoboy
30th September 2014, 08:54 PM
Has anyone tried the ear muffs?

I bought the ear muffs with mine and find they are a waste of money and plastic.

They do not fit the helmet very well, you feel like you are going the break either the ear muff extensions or the clip the is made to clip into the helmet (worst setup I have ever seen to attach the ear muffs)

Then once you do get them attach they do not push hard enough against your head to block any noise.

Best bet is to invest in a box of disposable foam ear plugs as the ear muffs for the unit do not work.

I used it for the first time today, charged both batteries for 24hrs as recommended, this was about 3 weeks ago and when I went to use them I found that they had gone flat and could not blow the ball up in the test bit used to test the unit. Unsure what happened here.

Charging them again and just tried the one that was on charge today and found an improvement. Think I will have to invest in a smart charger to allow me to keep them on charge at all times or replace the batteries with lithium ion ones.

Used the shield with the flat battery as I needed to do some wood work and found it works good, unsure if it is me or my head but I find it seems to sit to high with most of the shield being high, if I try to adjust it down the shield hits my face. Also I had it on for about 2 hours and when I removed it I found the top of my head had gone numb. Unsure if I had it on too tight or I just need to get use to it.

Also I find the adjustment strap knob pops out on its own resulting in the head adjustment coming undone, with this maybe being why I had it done a little to tight.

Shield does as it states but for me it could do with a little better engineering.

Will continue to use it to see if I can iron out any bugs and also because I spent so much on it and also due to the health benefits of using it.

Will keep you posted.

Thinking of making a belt clip battery park from better batteries to remove some of the weight from the helmet and because the once supplied or so crap.

Jim Carroll
30th September 2014, 09:15 PM
When setting up Trend Air Sheild Pro (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/trend-airsheild-pro-respirator) the head peice as you have found out it needs adjustment on the band over the top of your head to find where it will sit comfortably so not covering your eyes.

The headband around the head needs tightening till it feels tight then back of a smidgin and make sure you push the knob back in till it clicks in place, otherwise it will work loose.

When you drop the visor over your face make sure you tighten both outside knobs so it does not move over your face, if not tight it will frustrate you.

The battery charging issue has been mentioned to the manufacturers but as yet no response.

grantoboy
1st October 2014, 11:56 AM
Wasn't aware of an adjustment for the band that goes over the head. I will have a look at that tonight.

With the band that goes around the head I find that knob does not lock in that well and undoes itself. Will have another look at it.

I ordered a smart charger last night so that should fix the battery charging problem and I am in the process of ordering some lithium ion batteries to try and replace the supplied ones with.

Also it looks like a belt battery pack can be used that either plugs into the charging port and the units on off switch is used or this port can be bypassed and connected directly to the fan. The second method would require a on off switch to be fitted to the battery pack.

Will see how the smart charger goes and I assume replacing the batteries with a higher amperage lithiun ion batteries will assist.

dai sensei
1st October 2014, 06:59 PM
I have one and it works a treat. Re adjustments, you must pull out the knob to adjust, then push back in to lock. If you try to adjust whilst knob is in can damage the mechanism.

grantoboy
2nd October 2014, 01:09 AM
I pull the knob out and adjust and click it back in but find it sometimes unclicks its self

grantoboy
5th November 2014, 09:18 PM
Just a little up date on my shield. Works great the noise is not a problem as I normally have the dust extractor going and other machines that are louder than the shield.

As mentioned before the ear muffs are a waste of money, don't even bother buying them. I just use the foam ear things now that you push into your ear, and have started using a foam one that's attached to a u-shaped plastic piece that holds the foam bits in your ears.

Still waiting on my lithium ion batteries but my smart charger arrived and works great, I recommend anyone with a shield gets one. It charges a flat battery in a few hours and stops charging and maintains the battery when it is charged. So you could just leave it on on charge until ready to use. Will get some pictures of the setup and will post them.

pulled it out of its box yesterday and found the plaster strap that goes around the back of your head was broken, unsure how it broke as I always store it in its bag in its box and I treat it with care. Drilled a hole in the plastic and attached it with a zip tie so I can still use it but will try and contact the company to try and get a replacement.

Over all I am happy with the product, could be better designed for the price of the unit (battery over charge problem etc) but the feeling of not having dust snot is great. Also I was getting a lot of bleeding noses before I started using it and now have not had one. Just have to love wood dust.

grantoboy
6th November 2014, 10:13 AM
Photos of the broken head strap with the zip tie fix and pictures of the smart charger setup

grantoboy
15th February 2015, 03:29 PM
A further update on the Airsheild. I have been using it when ever I am wood working but due to life this has not been as much as I would have liked. I have gone to use the unit today and found that my headband has broken again and this time in 3 different places with the repair job I did before still holding up.

Being the unit is under 5 months old and has about 20 hrs of use on it I felt this to be a fault of the unit. I know I did not cause this brake as I have been babying the unit since the last brake, with it being stored in its box with in its bag. I removed it from its box and bag and found it broken.

I am trying to the manufacture to see what can be done about the problem, otherwise I will have to buy another band for about $90 and hope it does not have the same problem.

The helmet is great it is just a pity the band sucks.

Mobyturns
15th February 2015, 06:18 PM
I've been using these for over 8 years now & if I didn't have them I would not be wood turning due to sinus issues.

Forget the standard battery & charger! I have two of the original versions of this unit and found the standard battery rarely lasted 4 hours.

Go to Dick Smith / Jaycar etc and purchase a generic 12v spiral power lead, a couple of 3 x AA battery boxes, RCA plugs to suit the battery compartment and make up your own auxiliary battery packs. That way you can use NiCads plus charger of your choice at probably way less than 25% of the genuine gear. Another bonus is it removes weight from the helmet. I asked the missus to sew a pocket on the sleeve of my turning smock to hold the battery pack. With the spiral lead plugged into the left temple and run over my left shoulder it poses minimal entanglement risk.

grantoboy
20th February 2015, 09:29 PM
Quick update. After a few emails back and forward to Trend they are going to send me a new head band. They even admit that they have issues with the band.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grantoboy
17th March 2015, 09:32 AM
New band has arrived and it appears to be made from a different type of plastic. Hopefully this will be the end of any issues I have with the band.