PDA

View Full Version : Macassar ebony $$$$ ?

artful bodger
5th May 2014, 08:56 PM
My architect client that I turn door handles for was mentioning that there is an order in the pipeline for some handles made from Macassar ebony.
He reckoned that he'd been quoted on a 150mm x 50mm section......wait for it..................FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS A METRE!.
He said that he had contacted the architect in charge of the job for where the handles were going to go to inform him of the price of the timber.
The reply was more or less..."fair enough"..."yep that's ok by us"
Seems a tad on the expensive side to me.(understatement of the year).
Suggested to my client that if he buys a few metres make sure there are no defects in it.
Any of you fellow turners used this stuff? or perhaps know where to get it a little cheaper?
Is it like rhino horns,ivory or tigers penises, something that is not cool to use?

Tim the Timber Turner
5th May 2014, 09:25 PM
Price sounds about right to me.

25 years ago I remember buying some and the price then was $60,000 per cubic meter.

No I didn't buy a cubic meter.

I only got a small piece.

Nice to turn.

Cheers
Tim:)

Mobyturns
5th May 2014, 09:31 PM
It is listed under CITES - "Appendix II lists species that are not necessarily now threatened with extinction but that may become so unless trade is closely controlled."

jefferson
5th May 2014, 09:31 PM
Make sure you get dry stuff without wax on the ends. That way you get to see what, if any, shakes the wood has. And yes, it is expensive but a joy to turn. Practically no dust off the tool.

chuck1
6th May 2014, 06:54 AM
See if they will allow 80% waste! So you have a bit extra for the timber stash!

hughie
6th May 2014, 08:53 PM
Here you go. http://www.bellforestproducts.com/macassar-ebony/hand-pick/ some prices

mkypenturner
7th May 2014, 08:40 PM
150mm x 50mm section......wait for it..................FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS A METRE!.

sound about right , holy crap means i got a length worth at least a grand , plus a few other bits as well as a huge bit prob 120 x 70 x 600
oh and the price was ..... wait for it $zero it was to be used in making some handles and centre console and window winding knows from it and the rest for me to keep as payment , he even knew what it is worth but wanted it from it and yes i know im damn lucky and no it does not live in the shed but in the house for safe keeping