PDA

View Full Version : Oceans1 Strip Kayak

richardb9
6th May 2014, 02:39 PM
Hi Guys,
I recently posted a description of this kayak in "MY Blogs" but have just found a couple of pics of the finished article...was worth having a beer at the completion. Just hope the attachments work.
Richard B9.

labr@
6th May 2014, 09:10 PM
Superb work there Richard, looks very impressive.:2tsup:

Does it paddle as well as it looks?

richardb9
6th May 2014, 10:46 PM
Hi Labr,
It hasn't been in the water yet, but am told they are very stable and easy to paddle.
Richard b9

PLD
6th May 2014, 11:30 PM
That is a beauty!

Uncle Bob
7th May 2014, 12:37 AM
Wow, very nice!

Sent from my ayepad using Tapatalk

cava
7th May 2014, 12:50 PM
Very nice. :2tsup:

How long did it take to make?

richardb9
13th May 2014, 08:23 PM

Hi there...I think it took about 3 months part time to make....I just really like making them, so try to spend as much time as possible making them, once the strips are machined.
Richard.

anewhouse
13th May 2014, 08:30 PM

There are usually parts of the construction of a strip kayak that don't allow you to work full time, especially if you build stapleless.

For that reason most people quote the total number of hours rather than the number of weeks or months.

Most of my strippers have taken about 200 hours including the time to cut out and align forms. There are people who are cleverer than me who can build one in a bit over 150 hours and there are people whose standards are higher than mine who take 250 or even 300 hours.

Most peo0ple can do a pretty good job in 200 hours.

richardb9
14th May 2014, 09:06 PM
Hi Anewhouse,
I don't staple my strips as such.....I cut a hundred or so small squares of !/8 mdf board and nail these on to hold the strip in place until the glue dries...with just enough air pressure on nail gun to keep the nail head flush with the top surface of the mdf square. When glue has dried, it is easy to flick off the mdf , leaving the nail head exposed and easy to extricate with a set of pincers, or small claw hammer....Just a bit of Kiwi ingenuity. You could strip half a hull in 2 or 3 days using the bead and cove method.
Richard B.

anewhouse
15th May 2014, 10:03 AM
I use a similar technique, but only on those few strips that don't want to behave.

My system is a bit more primitive. I use squares cut from scraps of strips and on top of that I have small square of plastic cut from the lid of an ice cream container. That allows me to tap a very small nail in enough to create a bit of pressure without the head of the nail disappearing into the timber square. The nails I use are very thin and have quite small heads.

Like you, I find it easy to remove the nail once the square has been split off.

It is the same basic approach but using slightly different materials and tools and beveled strips. Most of the strips I can hold in place with clamps and masking tape.

One of the reasons I get a strip along the keel as soon as the strips on the side of the hull cross the chine and work out from there is that straight strips are so easily held in place, so I can works faster.

Nanigai
18th June 2014, 08:03 PM
Awesome job richardb9, I particularly like the red accent strip.
Cheers, Ian