PDA

View Full Version : Question for 3/4HP Delta Drill Press Owners

sam63
17th June 2005, 11:34 AM
I have decided to get a Delta 3/4HP drill press from Carbatec, which I intend to use it in my garage. My questions is related to the amp requirement. The manual in the USA Delta web page recommends 20Amp to run the drill, which is way too high than the domestic amp supplied in Australia. I talked to the Carbatec Sydney, and they said it is OK to use it in Australia. My question is when these machines are imported from USA, do they adjust the amp requirements according to the Australian conditions?

Cheers
Sam

martink
17th June 2005, 11:55 AM
Typically you have the voltage you double the current that is to say:

115 Volts = 20 amps
240 Volts = 10 amps

It's a rough estimation and depends on if it is a similar motor to that of the US model. It's best to check - a quick phone call might be the go here.

Martin.

lesmeyer
17th June 2005, 01:22 PM
Sam,
to the best of my knowlege, 3/4 HP = 562W (750W = 1HP). The motor should thus draw roughly 2.4A at peak on a 240V circuit. So a 10A plug circuit should be more than sufficient. (P=IV thus I=P/V meaning current = power/voltage and this case current = 562W/240V = 2.4Amperes).
Lets hear from the sparkys if they agree.
Regards
Les

sam63
20th June 2005, 12:52 PM
lesmeyer, martink

Thanks for the reply. The guys at Carbatec made the same comment. They said it is OK to run within australian condition.

Cheers
Sam