PDA

View Full Version : New old chucking method

chuck1
9th May 2014, 03:41 PM
In response to holding small items in the lathe, I saw this some where and thought I would make one. Still some fine tuning to do.
the taper needs reduction
any c and c welcome

jefferson
9th May 2014, 04:33 PM
Just as easy (and more versatile) to buy a collet check set. Heaps closer to the head stock as well. Not sure where I got mine - could have been Carrolls or Vermec.

turnerted
9th May 2014, 05:08 PM
I have several simple homemade collet chucks.Just a short tennon with a hole in it to suit what you want to mount.Cut a slot with the bandsaw from the perimeter to the hole.The hole must be at rightangles to the grain.Stick what you want to mount in it then put it in your chuck and do up tight.
Ted

Mobyturns
10th May 2014, 09:30 AM
If you go through the Guttenberg project there are many woodturning texts well out of copyright that have been scanned & digitized that describe the "old ways" of work holding. Many have excellent diagrams showing dimensions for making various jamb & collett chucks.

I agree with Jefferson - the further out from the headstock the more you magnify any misalignment or eccentricity errors in chucking or rechucking the drive mandrel in this case.

Great to see alternate methods being rediscovered though.

Paul39
10th May 2014, 12:03 PM
Chuck1,

That is slick.:D:D:D

Nice looking too.

orraloon
10th May 2014, 12:54 PM
chuck1,
First up good on you having a go. We have all got a bit slothfull having scroll chucks and the like. There are many references to home made chucks about in old books and on line. It would do us all some good if we decided to get by, say for a month perhaps without the scroll chuck. Get those brain cells working.
I have seen similar to your chuck but with a hose clamp to tighten. As the others have pointed out keep the jaws as close to the headstock as possable. If I were to improve on your model I would have a spiggot and shoulder so it is more secure in the scroll chuck and keep it shorter. Anyhow I now have chucking ideas floating about the grey matter.
Regards
John

chuck1
10th May 2014, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the extra ideas! I was stuck at the time and to buy a collet Chuck set meant more down time as there is no shops close by to race to, to buy one.
I went with the form ply ring as it was quicker to release the job and less of a catch hazzard than the hose clamp! Will look at shorting over all length