PDA

View Full Version : Midi Lathe suggestions.

Ironwood
10th May 2014, 12:55 PM
Hi all, looking for your thoughts on Midi sized lathes.

Some background on my question - I already have a thread running in the pen turning forum that has generated a bit of discussion, but I thought if I start one here in the Woodturning Forum I would get a wider audience - http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=184433

I am wanting to buy a Midi sized lathe that will mainly be used for pen turning, but will no doubt see some other work as well. My intention is to buy a lathe with the basic motor and manual belt change ( or the Vicmarc VL150 BM - no motor ) and fit a 1hp 3 phase motor I already have on hand, and get a VFD to drive it. (I have already done this to my metal lathe, so I know how to go about this )

So basically I am down to looking at 3 lathes now,

1- Vicmarc VL150 BM, Timberbits is selling this for $1027
2- Woodfast WM305 can be had for around $450
3- GPW Midi, $475

I would like to get the Vicmarc because of the tapered roller bearings, 1"toolpost, and general good quality, but at $550 extra, I am having 2nd thoughts.

Everyone with the Vicmarc speaks very highly of it, most people with the Woodfast speak highly of it, I have only just started to look at the GPW Midi and haven't found much on it so far.
Just tried to ring GPW but it seems they are not open on the weekend. I am assuming it has ball bearings like the Woodfast.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that may help me with a decision .

I am open to looking at other lathes, but would like to stick with a dealer I am comfortable knowing they will provide after sales service if I need it.

jefferson
10th May 2014, 01:24 PM
Brad, don't even think twice about it. Get the VL 150 and you will not be disappointed. I have 3 Vicmarcs, including a VL100 which, compared some others, is a trifle small in the way of swing. If you can do the electrics yourself, all the better. Again, don't think about it, just spend the extra $500 and you will have a superb lathe that will tackle quite a few projects.

Ironwood
10th May 2014, 02:28 PM
Brad, don't even think twice about it. Get the VL 150 and you will not be disappointed. I have 3 Vicmarcs, including a VL100 which, compared some others, is a trifle small in the way of swing. If you can do the electrics yourself, all the better. Again, don't think about it, just spend the extra $500 and you will have a superb lathe that will tackle quite a few projects.

Thanks for your thoughts Jeff.
I know the VL150 will be the best out of the bunch, just have to convince myself I should spend the extra cash.
On top of the purchase price, I still have freight to Mackay, and about $300 for the electrical gear I will still need, then a hundred or so to build a new bench/stand to sit it on.

Mobyturns
10th May 2014, 10:23 PM
Life is full of regrets - buying a Vicmarc lathe wouldn't be one of them.

Go against “rather than weighing the present good versus the future alternative, people instead try to decide between the immediate pleasure of consumption and the immediate pain of paying for it”.

Instead follow "when people are faced with a decision to make a purchase or not, they will perform mental calculations by weighing the desirability of the product (or present good) versus the future consequences (or future good versus future loss)."

Ironwood
11th May 2014, 08:05 AM
Life is full of regrets - buying a Vicmarc lathe wouldn't be one of them.

Go against “rather than weighing the present good versus the future alternative, people instead try to decide between the immediate pleasure of consumption and the immediate pain of paying for it”.

Instead follow "when people are faced with a decision to make a purchase or not, they will perform mental calculations by weighing the desirability of the product (or present good) versus the future consequences (or future good versus future loss)."

Thanks for your thoughts also Moby.

Well thats 2-nil in Vicmarc's favour, a one sided argument so far :).

Does anyone know if there is any other midi sized lathe that has tapered roller bearings on the spindle, or is it a one horse race ?

Mobyturns
11th May 2014, 08:12 AM
Thanks for your thoughts also Moby.

Well thats 2-nil in Vicmarc's favour, a one sided argument so far :).

Does anyone know if there is any other midi sized lathe that has tapered roller bearings on the spindle, or is it a one horse race ?

Most of the available lathes in the Midi class are clones and it is a price sensitive bracket so specs are basic. You get what you pay for. Teknatool Comet brochures don't say what bearings are used. (Edit manual shows ball bearings in images.)

Ironwood
11th May 2014, 08:34 AM
Most of the available lathes in the Midi class are clones and it is a price sensitive bracket so specs are basic. You get what you pay for. Teknatool Comet brochures don't say what bearings are used. (Edit manual shows ball bearings in images.)

Yes that seems to be the case.
My thinking is if a lathe had tapered rollers, they would certainly be saying so in their spec sheet to try and differentiate their product from the rest.
If its not mentioned, I would be pretty sure they will be sealed ball bearings.

Mobyturns
11th May 2014, 08:47 AM
Yes that seems to be the case.
My thinking is if a lathe had tapered rollers, they would certainly be saying so in their spec sheet to try and differentiate their product from the rest.
If its not mentioned, I would be pretty sure they will be sealed ball bearings.

Do you go to Prossy (1st weekend in Nov)? Long way off I know. If you do its a great way to see a number of midi lathes in use on a wide variety of work. Most turners there will let you have a go on their machines as a trial if asked. Many woodfasts appearing there now.

One suggestion ask around for a S/H older VL100 - unkillable lathes. Throw in some new bearings & AOK. As others have said aftermarket VFD's or basic VS units aren't that expensive on midi's.

brendan stemp
11th May 2014, 11:08 AM
Almost everything about the VL150 is better than anything else on the market. The toolpost is thicker, the banjo is significantly more substantial and the quill has a smooth thread. I could go on. Is it worth the extra. I think so. Other factors to consider; you will be supporting an Australian company and the re-sale value will be much better. You also won't be buying a motor you won't need.

Having said all that, you could buy a Woodfast with EVS for the same price. I have seen a lot of happy customers with them. More than enough for pen making.

Ironwood
11th May 2014, 11:44 AM
Do you go to Prossy (1st weekend in Nov)? Long way off I know. If you do its a great way to see a number of midi lathes in use on a wide variety of work. Most turners there will let you have a go on their machines as a trial if asked. Many woodfasts appearing there now.

One suggestion ask around for a S/H older VL100 - unkillable lathes. Throw in some new bearings & AOK. As others have said aftermarket VFD's or basic VS units aren't that expensine on midi's.

I have never been able to get to Prossy turnout, I own and run a business that runs 7 days a week, just cant get away for 3 days. If they relaxed that rule and I could go for one day and night, I would go every year, but I have given up worrying about it now.

I have decided not to look for a VL100, as I would like to keep the 300mm swing, as I may end up selling my Record lathe.

Ironwood
11th May 2014, 12:21 PM
Almost everything about the VL150 is better than anything else on the market. The toolpost is thicker, the banjo is significantly more substantial and the quill has a smooth thread. I could go on. Is it worth the extra. I think so. Other factors to consider; you will be supporting an Australian company and the re-sale value will be much better. You also won't be buying a motor you won't need.

Having said all that, you could buy a Woodfast with EVS for the same price. I have seen a lot of happy customers with them. More than enough for pen making.

Hi Brendan, thanks for your insight. I know the Vicmarc is the one to buy, in more ways than one. Just need to convince myself. I wasnt too worried about ending up with another spare motor, things like that eventually get used around my place, could possibly power a buffer :wink:.

Mobyturns
11th May 2014, 12:39 PM
I have never been able to get to Prossy turnout, I own and run a business that runs 7 days a week, just cant get away for 3 days. If they relaxed that rule and I could go for one day and night, I would go every year, but I have given up worrying about it now.

I have decided not to look for a VL100, as I would like to keep the 300mm swing, as I may end up selling my Record lathe.

Shame there isn't some arrangement that could be made so you can get there.

Not to many of these midi's can swing a 300mm bowl safely especially the way turners sit them on a bench top. The VL 150 definitely will, the Woodfast if properly secured should. Jim S from Rockhampton has a VL150 with the works so if you know Jim give him a call. He is pleased with his and I've seen the work coming off it - awesome!

jefferson
11th May 2014, 12:45 PM

Brad, I wouldn't recommend a second hand VL100 to anyone as a stand-alone lathe. I only use mine at events like DUTA etc and club outings. The swing is about 120mm, not 100, and the beast is very heavy. I still haven't figured out a good way to transport it. Now, as Brendan has indicated, the VL150 is in a class of its own. 25mm tool rest, bigger swing, bigger motor etc. Heavy too I bet. The variable speed on both lathes is very handy. I'd be keeping my eyes open for a second hand VL100 or just buy the Yellow/Green peril with the variable speed and 150mm swing at around $1150. Believe me, the Woodfast takes some stopping and has lots of torque, even on the highest spindle setting. And also Brad, try to get to Prossie at least once, just for the experience. You get to meet a lot of forumites, including Jim Mc. The heat can be a bugger though.

mkypenturner
11th May 2014, 05:34 PM

. hey brad see if you can ask CJ and see if you can come for a few hours on saturday as thats the only real full day !!! trust me you will enjoy it if he will let you and you can make it

issatree
11th May 2014, 06:34 PM
Hi Brad,
You raised all the extra costs for the VL150, but woodn't be the same for the others.
Bite the Bullet & go for the VL150.
I don't have one personally, but I go to these Woodturning Getogethers & there always quite a few to be seen.
A bit long in the Tooth now, & could not see my way clear to own one, but I sure as Heck wood not buy anything else.
The others do not even come close.
As Brendan said " Smooth ".

Simplicity
11th May 2014, 06:59 PM
Just one question why does the VL150, not come with a motor
Sorry if this seems a silly question

Ironwood
11th May 2014, 07:42 PM
Just one question why does the VL150, not come with a motor
Sorry if this seems a silly question

Its not a silly question.
It may seem bit odd, but to someone like me it gives me the chance to get the lathe at a cheaper price and be able to customise it to my liking.

The VL150 SM is available with motor and all the fruit for $2317, or in BM form (no motor etc) $1027.
Because I have a suitable motor and some of the electrical gear already, I just need to buy a VFD for $220 and a couple of switches, it is a much more economical option, if I had to pay $2317, I am afraid it would be outside of what I can spend, so would only be looking at the Woodfast or one of the others.

Ironwood
11th May 2014, 08:01 PM
Not to many of these midi's can swing a 300mm bowl safely especially the way turners sit them on a bench top. The VL 150 definitely will, the Woodfast if properly secured should.

Its increasingly looking like the Vicmarc will be what ends up in my shed, but regardless which lathe it was to be, a rock solid stand is a must. It will probably weigh double what the lathe weighs.

Simplicity
11th May 2014, 08:02 PM
I was thinking the same at $1027 that sounds reasonable
But at $2317 for one with a motor
So in effect just over $1000 for a motor variable drive ext
Now I might be wrong here
And please correct me if I am
But a thousand sounds steep to me

Big Shed
11th May 2014, 08:08 PM
Its not a silly question.
It may seem bit odd, but to someone like me it gives me the chance to get the lathe at a cheaper price and be able to customise it to my liking.

The VL150 SM is available with motor and all the fruit for $2317, or in BM form (no motor etc) $1027.
Because I have a suitable motor and some of the electrical gear already, I just need to buy a VFD for $220 and a couple of switches, it is a much more economical option, if I had to pay $2317, I am afraid it would be outside of what I can spend, so would only be looking at the Woodfast or one of the others.

Brad, 1.5Kw VFDs can be had for about half that on Ebay (ex China). Plenty of people on this forum are using these to run 3phase motors on lathes, drill presses etc.

Do a search on Huanyang and you will find plenty of info on this forum.

Ironwood
11th May 2014, 08:16 PM
.... Believe me, the Woodfast takes some stopping and has lots of torque, even on the highest spindle setting.

Yes, wanting variable speed is what initially started me looking at a new lathe.
At the start I was actually considering the Teknatool Comet Midi, but when I looked into it, the speed ranges were too narrow, I would have been still changing belts to get the speeds I want to turn and finish a pen. Sort of defeats the purpose.

Thats what started me looking further. Mik on the Pen Forum has the VL150 SM, he suggested I look at one of them because the VS on his gives a very wide range like I am after.
My metal lathe, which I fitted a 3ph motor and a VFD with vector control, it gives me a workable speed range on the middle speed of about 5-10rpm to 2000rpm without changing gears.
My aim is to try and set up this Midi wood lathe to give me range on one of the pulley steps of about 200rpm to 3000rpm, this should cover everything I want to do for pen turning, and still have a lower speed (change the belt to another step) for more torque if and when I need it.

Ironwood
11th May 2014, 08:29 PM
Brad, 1.5Kw VFDs can be had for about half that on Ebay (ex China). Plenty of people on this forum are using these to run 3phase motors on lathes, drill presses etc.

Do a search on Huanyang and you will find plenty of info on this forum.

Cheers Fred. I know there are cheaper ones available, but I will go with the same brand I have on my metal lathe. When I was setting it up I did a lot of research and chose this brand mainly because it has vector control. from what I understand this gives a lot more torque at start up, and will keep a constant speed even when taking heavy cuts, I don't think the Huanyang has this feature, I could be wrong though (wouldn't be the first time ).

This is the one here, its a smaller one than I have on my metal lathe, but this size matches the motor I have for this job - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAJ-0-75KW-1HP-VSD-VFD-inverter-240V-variable-speed-drive-/181001312588?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item2a2484d94c&_uhb=1

Ironwood
11th May 2014, 08:36 PM
I was thinking the same at $1027 that sounds reasonable
But at $2317 for one with a motor
So in effect just over $1000 for a motor variable drive ext
Now I might be wrong here
And please correct me if I am
But a thousand sounds steep to me

If I had to buy ALL the gear required, and charge my time out at Tradesman rates, it might start to come close to that, the SM model has the base/stand as well.

powderpost
11th May 2014, 08:41 PM
Hi Brad, I don't often get involved in this type of discussion, because it is a bit like the holden/ford argument. In another thread I did say I have owned and used a Tecknatool Comet and a Jet mini. I got rid if both because they did not fit my purpose. That is not intended to say they were no good, they did not suit me, largely because they were too small. I have never owned a Vicmarc machine and never will. I am presently, have and use regularly, a Woodfast 305 midi. I didn't buy the EVS model because I thought it was too expensive for what was there. I do a lot of thread chasing, which requires constant speed changing and that became tiresome, stopping the machine and changing the belt to new pulley positions. For "normal" turning, this would not be such a pain. Lately I bought an after market EVS kit including a motor and controls. That cost me about $250.00. The lathe and kit would have cost me about $650.00 a vast difference from in excess of $1,000.00, the asking price for a EVS model.
I consider the machine I have, is as good as any on the market and I most certainly make on it, anything that can be made on any other machine in its class. It is well made and quite heavy. The only thing that has caused me grief was that a belt broke and that was very easy to replace.
Admittedly the argument for and against imported machines as against Australian made is certainly a persuasive argument. But I understand the castings for Vicmarc machines are done overseas. I also support the concept that a quality "full size" lathe will fulfill your needs for many years, and probably be a better investment in the long run.
I offer this information in an attempt to balance the discussion.

Jim

Ironwood
11th May 2014, 09:06 PM
Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. You have a good argument there, and some food for thought.

I know a Guy who lives locally here, I hope to check out his Woodfast Midi sometime this week.

I also have been wondering if I should be putting this money and effort into a larger machine.

Because of my time restraints, the last 6 years or so, I have only been turning pens and small items, this will continue for some time to come. But one day I hope to get back into turning larger work.

jefferson
11th May 2014, 09:17 PM
Jim, I'm not sure whether you turn too many pens on your yellow peril. Brad wants to and that means the head and tail stocks need to align perfectly. Or close to it. I can safely say that I have seen a lot of the OS versions of your lathe where the gap between head and tail was significant. Alright for small bowls, boxes etc but definitely not pens, lace bobbins or finials with tail-stock support. You also didn't tell Brad (and I think you could have without blowing your own trumpet) that you are one of the very best turners here on the board. And that you could turn on almost any lathe, variable speed or not, and get an excellent result. I forget which posts, but the JM history lessons are hereabouts, we just gotta find them. So I guess I am saying that a better quality lathe / tool / sharpening system makes it so much easier for a beginner. I couldn't say the same for you but I would for others that don't turn as well.

powderpost
11th May 2014, 09:43 PM
HI Jeff, I will simply state, yes I do turn a considerable number of pens and lace bobbins and on a machine straight out of the box. I will have a look in the morning to see if the head and tail stock line up.
Jim

Beedeejay
11th May 2014, 10:13 PM
Hi Brad,
I have a GPW lathe but not the VS model,
and I make a lot of pens, In relation to pen turning it has been a good lathe, not great a great lathe but is has done the job. But pens are about the only thing i turn on that lathe.

but at the time of purchase it was a case of convience(1/2 drive away) and price as to why I bought it,

I have had it for a tiny bit over a year now and a while ago I had some trouble with the Tailstock, but after a phone call to GPW, Gary asked me to take it in and he fixed/ replaced the problem, so that after sales service was good,

If I had the chance again though, for price id probably go the woodfast as I have used a couple now and they are a good lathe, but I cant go back and now I am quietly looking for my next lathe and I am keeping an eye out for a Vicmarc as that will be the only lathe I will buy now, the Wood turning club that I am a member of has a few Vicmarcs that I use on weekly basis and they are brilliant,

not sure if that help but just giving another perspective and point of view,
cheers Ben

jefferson
11th May 2014, 10:13 PM
Gidday, Jim. Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones. Four out of four didn't line up in purchases over the last 12 months at our club. And I agree that there is no stopping the little Peril and the swing makes it far easier on your hands and tool work that the VL100. Ideally, it would be nice to check the alignment before you actually bought the lathe. Maybe I just got lucky with my Vicmarcs and my Stubby. And on another point, I agree with you that a big lathe is probably the preferred option. I turn all my finials etc on the heavy VL300, it's so steady. Not made anymore, though Vermec still advertises them.

Ironwood
12th May 2014, 09:38 AM
Hi Ben, which size Vicmarc will you be looking at when the time comes ?

Thanks for the comments on the other lathes.

Ironwood
12th May 2014, 09:56 AM
Jeff, how much misalignment are we talking here ?

jefferson
12th May 2014, 10:36 AM
One of the variable Woodfasts was maybe 3-4mm out. The guy couldn't figure out what the hell was going on until we shimmed the tailstock. The turner was working to one of Ken Wraight's templates for a box and couldn't get it centred with tail stock support in the jam chuck. Not good enough IMO. I've had 3 blue Vics hit dead centre all three times. Different QC I guess.

GPW
12th May 2014, 11:22 AM
Hi all, looking for your thoughts on Midi sized lathes.

Some background on my question - I already have a thread running in the pen turning forum that has generated a bit of discussion, but I thought if I start one here in the Woodturning Forum I would get a wider audience - http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=184433

I am wanting to buy a Midi sized lathe that will mainly be used for pen turning, but will no doubt see some other work as well. My intention is to buy a lathe with the basic motor and manual belt change ( or the Vicmarc VL150 BM - no motor ) and fit a 1hp 3 phase motor I already have on hand, and get a VFD to drive it. (I have already done this to my metal lathe, so I know how to go about this )

So basically I am down to looking at 3 lathes now,

1- Vicmarc VL150 BM, Timberbits is selling this for $1027
2- Woodfast WM305 can be had for around $450
3- GPW Midi, $475

I would like to get the Vicmarc because of the tapered roller bearings, 1"toolpost, and general good quality, but at $550 extra, I am having 2nd thoughts.

Everyone with the Vicmarc speaks very highly of it, most people with the Woodfast speak highly of it, I have only just started to look at the GPW Midi and haven't found much on it so far.
Just tried to ring GPW but it seems they are not open on the weekend. I am assuming it has ball bearings like the Woodfast.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that may help me with a decision .

I am open to looking at other lathes, but would like to stick with a dealer I am comfortable knowing they will provide after sales service if I need it.

Hi Ironwood
The GPW midi for $475 is our 6 speed model.
It has a 1" Tool post.
The bearings are deep groove ball bearings
It's made in Taiwan, which means that the build quality is exceptionally high.
It has a 7" centre height which is bigger than the Woodfast and the Vicmarc.
Being in the industry for over 30 years Gary has visited factories in Australia, China and USA. We feel most comfortable with our suppliers in Taiwan having a great working relationship. Any problems or spare parts are dealt with ASAP.
We also have 2 VS models in this lathe as well which have been very popular, so popular that we have sold out. We will have more in approx 3 months.

GPW
12th May 2014, 11:31 AM
Hi Brad,
I have a GPW lathe but not the VS model,
and I make a lot of pens, In relation to pen turning it has been a good lathe, not great a great lathe but is has done the job. But pens are about the only thing i turn on that lathe.

but at the time of purchase it was a case of convience(1/2 drive away) and price as to why I bought it,

I have had it for a tiny bit over a year now and a while ago I had some trouble with the Tailstock, but after a phone call to GPW, Gary asked me to take it in and he fixed/ replaced the problem, so that after sales service was good,

If I had the chance again though, for price id probably go the woodfast as I have used a couple now and they are a good lathe, but I cant go back and now I am quietly looking for my next lathe and I am keeping an eye out for a Vicmarc as that will be the only lathe I will buy now, the Wood turning club that I am a member of has a few Vicmarcs that I use on weekly basis and they are brilliant,

not sure if that help but just giving another perspective and point of view,
cheers Ben

Hi Beedeejay
Just a quick observation.
The lathe Brad is comparing is our 6 Speed Midi Lathe which is a higher quality model compared to the green series model which you have purchased.

Tangoman
12th May 2014, 06:06 PM
Mate, while I agree with the view that Vicmarc lathes are the bees knees, I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I even got the OK from Swmbo to buy a Nova !

I now own two GPW lathes and cannot fault them at all. The alignment is perfect straight from the shop and they are more than solid enough for all the turning I do. I turn things from pens to hollow forms ( would turn even more if I wasn't building a kayak). These lathes are both better than I am and the combined cost was less than $1800 new. Price now gone up a bit. These will last longer than I will !!

These are the ones I own -
http://www.garypye.com/Lathe-s/Lathe-s/GPW-Mini-Lathe-p819.html

http://www.garypye.com/Lathe-s/Lathe-s/GPW-25-30-Wood-Lathe-p770.html

Regards,
Cam

Ironwood
12th May 2014, 06:40 PM
Well I spoke with Gary Pye on the phone this afternoon about the Midi lathe which he sells.
After talking at length with him about the lathe, it is now also a contender.

One slight hiccup for me is the shaft size on the existing motor is 14mm, my motor shaft is 3/4", not a huge problem, as I have a metal lathe and can bore it out to suit, though sounds like the lowest speed pulley step will be cutting it very fine at the larger bore size.
If I lose that pulley step, no big deal really with the 1hp & VFD I probably would never use it anyway.
The original motor runs at 1400rpm, mine runs at 2800rpm, so I will mainly use the 4th speed (1500rpm) which will give me a top speed of around 3000rpm if I run my motor at a bit over 100%, I can set to run higher than that and probably will set it to get 3500rpm top speed on that pulley step.

Tim the Timber Turner
12th May 2014, 06:45 PM
I will have a look in the morning to see if the head and tail stock line up.
Jim

Jim wouldn't it be a disaster if, all these years, you had been using a lathe that didn't line up?:-

Imagine how much better your work would have been if you had checked this before you started :rolleyes:

I am going to rush out and check my lathes first thing in the morning.:2tsup:

I probably won't sleep tonight worrying about this. :?

Cheers

Tim:)

Hermit
12th May 2014, 07:21 PM
Jim wouldn't it be a disaster if, all these years, you had been using a lathe that didn't line up?:-

Imagine how much better your work would have been if you had checked this before you started :rolleyes:

I am going to rush out and check my lathes first thing in the morning.:2tsup:

I probably won't sleep tonight worrying about this. :?

Cheers

On this point, whether or not the centres line up perfectly is partly dependent on whether or not there is any side play at all in the tailstock on the bed.

In my case, the centres line up perfectly in the vertical plane, but due to slight side-to-side play in the tailstock on the bed, it can be as much as about 1-1.5mm out in the horizontal plane.
It's perfect horizontally only if I hold the tailstock 'clockwise' as far as it goes before/during clamping.

Tim the Timber Turner
12th May 2014, 07:52 PM
G'day Hermit

Small horizontal adjustments to the tailstock can be made using the following method.

Using a centre punch and a hammer the cast iron can be swollen a small amount.

You know which way you need to move the alignment.

Lots of centre pops in to the cast iron will gradually expand the metal.

This is the method used to tighten tailstocks that have worn after years of use.

Do a bit and check, do a bit more and check again.

Caution don't punch to close to the edge or you will break out a small piece.

Steady steady is the go.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hermit
12th May 2014, 08:01 PM
G'day Hermit

Small horizontal adjustments to the tailstock can be made using the following method.
Using a centre punch and a hammer the cast iron can be swollen a small amount.
You know which way you need to move the alignment.
Lots of centre pops in to the cast iron will gradually expand the metal.
This is the method used to tighten tailstocks that have worn after years of use.
Do a bit and check, do a bit more and check again.
Caution don't punch to close to the edge or you will break out a small piece.
Steady steady is the go.
Hope this helps
Cheers

Thank you for that, Tim. Guess what I'll be doing in the morning? :)

This is yet another 'why didn't I think of that' moment.

I 'adjusted' the aluminium 'T' bar in my bandsaw mitre guide using this method, but didn't think of it for eliminating the play in my tailstock. :doh:

Tim the Timber Turner
12th May 2014, 09:13 PM
Just because the two centres happen to meet doesn't mean the tailstock spindle and the headstock spindle are on the same plane.

Cheers

Hermit
12th May 2014, 09:25 PM
Just because the two centres happen to meet doesn't mean the tailstock spindle and the headstock spindle are on the same plane.

Cheers

That's true. The alignment could go out as the tailstock is moved to different positions on the bed.
What's the best way to check this? I thought I had a method, but it won't work.

powderpost
12th May 2014, 09:30 PM
Jim wouldn't it be a disaster if, all these years, you had been using a lathe that didn't line up?:- I find the obsession with this is intriguing....

Imagine how much better your work would have been if you had checked this before you started :rolleyes: Is there a category better than best?

I am going to rush out and check my lathes first thing in the morning.:2tsup: Almost forgot to to this, one out of four, near perfect, two out of four close and one was within a bulls roar.

I probably won't sleep tonight worrying about this. :? That is why I almost forgot to check my lathes, probably because of a lack of sleep???

Cheers

Tim, keep to the issue at hand please :o

Jim

Mobyturns
12th May 2014, 09:39 PM

Cheers

- doesn't mean the tailstock spindle and the headstock spindle are in the same planes or collinear.

Having the centres at the same height and parallel to the top of the tool rest is a big start though and for a piece driven purely between centres that is all you need.

We introduce complexity into fine spindle work when we hold the headstock end rigidly in pin jaws or a collett chuck or std chuck jaws or even with a MT2 cut into the workpiece & jambed into the headstock and with tailstock support. Finer & more delicate spindles require higher alignment precision or no tailstock support. Same goes for any fixed or string steadies we introduce into the system. It certainly helps if the spindle turning axis, centres and steadies are all collinear. A lack of collinearity is the most likely source of whip – either caused by missalignment of the headstock / tailstock / steadies or compression of the work piece bowing its axis.

Collinearity can also be an issue when we reverse chuck bowls etc using a reversing mandrel. Anyway this is a side issue to the main thread.

Ironwood
16th May 2014, 08:30 AM
Well, after a lot of thinking, and "to and fro"ing, I have decided I will be going with the GPW Midi.

This purchase, as well as all my other hobby related purchases are funded by what I can make out of them, penturning is the major source of funds coming into my hobby account.
The Vicmarc was stretching the account a bit too far.

The decision to go with the GPW was made easier, when I decided that wouldnt restrict myself to just one lathe. I will sell my Record at some stage and get a bigger lathe, possibly a VL300. But that will be a way down the road when my circumstances have changed and I have time to turn more than just a pen now and then. ( I work 7 days a week with my business )

I am confident I will be happy with the GPW, and it will be a huge improvement over what I have been using once I get it set up how I want it.

I will start a new thread when I start the setup of my new lathe, with plenty of photos and a bit of a review.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, your input is muchly appreciated.