PDA

View Full Version : Preserving Slabs

Shane Watson
19th August 2000, 08:47 PM
I'm back from a week in Brisbane and found this email in my e-box http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif so thought I would post it here, as I have no idea http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

At our church in Lyneham, Canberra, we have recently had to remove a 125 year old elm tree, which posed a safety hazard because of progressive dieback. We have taken a 15-20 cm slab from the lower part of the trunk which is about 1.30 m in diameter. We want to preserve this slab and erect it on a suitable stand as a memorial to our church, which is about the same age. I have been asked to take charge of the project., but apart from having found out that the slab has to be sanded and soaked in polyethylene glycol for a number of months to replace the water in the cells and fibres, and thus prevent splitting, I have not been able to find any further practical information. Can anybody help us with an answer to questions like what concentration of PEG to use, where it is obtainable and its cost, and what to do at the end of the soaking period.
D.Bouma

Lets see what responses we can get for him!

Cheers

Shane.....

------------------
Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

[This message has been edited by Shane Watson (edited 19 August 2000).]

Roger Peine
21st August 2000, 10:47 AM
Don't know about the Polyethylene glycol bit,
but; having cut and dried many hundreds of slabs. I would suggest placing the slab indoors somewhere for 6 - 12 months and, let nature do her work . The big thing about drying any timber is, as long as the amount of moisture leaving the timber is greater than any moisture re-entering the same......
it will dry .

RETIRED
21st August 2000, 02:02 PM
Gooday.

Doesn't sound like a slab as we know it, i.e. ripped down the length, but rather a slice through the trunk.

If this is the case then I think no matter what you do it will split particularly that big.

Just my thoughts.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Roger Peine
21st August 2000, 11:22 PM
If it is a slice as you say, it couldn't help but split / crack .