PDA

View Full Version : I never said...

jefferson
11th May 2014, 10:08 AM
I never said that woodturning was going to overtake my hobby as a woodworker ..... and it has. I never said that I would spend a fortune on lathes, chucks, tools etc..... and I have. I never said I was going to turn platters over 600mm..... and I have. I never EVER said I was going to turn to templates.... and I have. I never thought I'd turn boxes with finials .... and I have. I always said I was going to turn chair / table legs ... and never have. I always said I would never, ever, buy a Stubby .... and I did. I never thought I would own so many bowl gouges so I only had to sharpen the lot once for a project ..... but I do. I never thought of going to Turnfest and spending thousands .... but I did several times. (And really enjoyed Cindy Drozda and Jimmy Clewes). I never.... well, you can guess most of the rest. Trouble now is that I never said I would ever do segmented work but Jim and Mobyturns have got me really, really, interested. So where do I start? The Australian Woodworker has at least 3 books advertised. Which one to start with? Do you cut the individual pieces on a SCMS or a table saw? Angles? I have plenty of similar density wood and quite a few other woodworking tools but what else do I need? Bugger you Jim, I may have turned to the dark side. And and all suggestions / feedback welcome. I can see another woodturning journey beginning.

Cliff Rogers
11th May 2014, 10:14 AM
Slippery slope. :D

Drillit
11th May 2014, 10:14 AM
Jefferson,
It is ok really - it is called obsessive, compulsive disorder. Remember he with the most tools wins. So, my advice, keep on the meds and as they say..never say never...coz it always happens. Drillit.

I never said that woodturning was going to overtake my hobby as a woodworker ..... and it has. I never said that I would spend a fortune on lathes, chucks, tools etc..... and I have. I never said I was going to turn platters over 600mm..... and I have. I never EVER said I was going to turn to templates.... and I have. I never thought I'd turn boxes with finials .... and I have. I always said I was going to turn chair / table legs ... and never have. I always said I would never, ever, buy a Stubby .... and I did. I never thought I would own so many bowl gouges so I only had to sharpen the lot once for a project ..... but I do. I never thought of going to Turnfest and spending thousands .... but I did several times. (And really enjoyed Cindy Drozda and Jimmy Clewes). I never.... well, you can guess most of the rest. Trouble now is that I never said I would ever do segmented work but Jim and Mobyturns have got me really, really, interested. So where do I start? The Australian Woodworker has at least 3 books advertised. Which one to start with? Do you cut the individual pieces on a SCMS or a table saw? Angles? I have plenty of similar density wood and quite a few other woodworking tools but what else do I need? Bugger you Jim, I may have turned to the dark side. And and all suggestions / feedback welcome. I can see another woodturning journey beginning.

Mobyturns
11th May 2014, 12:21 PM
Jim has a lot to answer for.:D But Jim has gone to the really dark side of segmenting :rolleyes:. I just do lazy mans segmenting - linear laminating - sort of similar to staving.:cool:

Segmenting is basically rip cuts to dimension the stock then cross cutting the pieces to actual size. Linear Laminating is all rip sawing with the occasional cross cut to trim a blank to length. So both have different challenges - but both require high accuracy.

Jefferson, before you start down this dark & slippery slope count your fingers & thumbs and have a good look at them! Now the primary aim is to keep them that way .:wink:

It doesn't matter what you use to cut the pieces as long as you can do it safely and keep your fingers well away from the saw blade and do it accurately. An SCMS is definitely not an option for ripping linear laminate stock. :o

Jim has a few tricks he uses to acheive his rather unique style of segmenting that a few high profile segmenters have been persuading him to share.:q I think we both aim for as high a quality surface and as much accuracy off the saw blade as we can possibly acheive. So a quality TS & blades is a must.

To start off have a look at DVD's from Eli Aviserra, Malcolm Tibbetts (I have them all but still unwrapped would you believe?) or books from Ray Allen, or if you like something different try Jack Cox.

I have been into Jims palatial shed/s and have seen his setups but not his techniques, & damn I forgot to install the miniature cameras over the TS. Drill Press, lathes :doh: bugger I couldn't afford that many cameras. :U

orraloon
11th May 2014, 12:31 PM
Jefferson,
You are right it does tend to get you hooked. Reflecting on what you said I figure i have spent about as much on turning equipment as all my other woodworking stuff put together. One plus is the bandsaw is also handy for general woodwork and I do sometomes use the lathe for general woodwork related things. I think I have kind of got past the obsessive stage now as I am not on it almost every day as in the early years. Mind you if I have a nice lump of wood around there is an itch to get it on the lathe. All the family and a lot of friends now have enough bowls and nicnacks to last a lifetime so demand for product has declined. I have not got on to segmented work yet so perhaps I can beat this.
Regards
John

Mobyturns
11th May 2014, 12:47 PM
Jefferson,
Reflecting on what you said I figure i have spent about as much on turning equipment as all my other woodworking stuff put together.
Regards
John

I started out doing up a spreadsheet on my tools for insurance purposes - I really couldn't have spent that much could I? The spreadsheet needs to be kept under lock and key with cabinet papers - only to be disclosed upon my death or after 30 years :D.

jefferson
11th May 2014, 02:21 PM
Jefferson,
It is ok really - it is called obsessive, compulsive disorder. Remember he with the most tools wins. So, my advice, keep on the meds and as they say..never say never...coz it always happens. Drillit. I think I'm doing well enough on the tool front, though I will have to make some more purchases (like a drum sander) for this segmented work. Meds? Every 4 bloody hours!

Jim has a lot to answer for.:D But Jim has gone to the really dark side of segmenting :rolleyes:. I just do lazy mans segmenting - linear laminating - sort of similar to staving.:cool:

Segmenting is basically rip cuts to dimension the stock then cross cutting the pieces to actual size. Linear Laminating is all rip sawing with the occasional cross cut to trim a blank to length. So both have different challenges - but both require high accuracy.

Jefferson, before you start down this dark & slippery slope count your fingers & thumbs and have a good look at them! Now the primary aim is to keep them that way .:wink:

It doesn't matter what you use to cut the pieces as long as you can do it safely and keep your fingers well away from the saw blade and do it accurately. An SCMS is definitely not an option for ripping linear laminate stock. :o

Jim has a few tricks he uses to acheive his rather unique style of segmenting that a few high profile segmenters have been persuading him to share.:q I think we both aim for as high a quality surface and as much accuracy off the saw blade as we can possibly acheive. So a quality TS & blades is a must.

To start off have a look at DVD's from Eli Aviserra, Malcolm Tibbetts (I have them all but still unwrapped would you believe?) or books from Ray Allen, or if you like something different try Jack Cox.

I have been into Jims palatial shed/s and have seen his setups but not his techniques, & damn I forgot to install the miniature cameras over the TS. Drill Press, lathes :doh: bugger I couldn't afford that many cameras. :U All good advice by the sound of things. I've already identified a few things I need - a decent mitre sled for my Sawstop, plus a new cross-cut blade and a drum sander. No doubt the list will get longer. Lots of clamping jigs.

Jefferson,
You are right it does tend to get you hooked. Reflecting on what you said I figure i have spent about as much on turning equipment as all my other woodworking stuff put together. One plus is the bandsaw is also handy for general woodwork and I do sometomes use the lathe for general woodwork related things. I think I have kind of got past the obsessive stage now as I am not on it almost every day as in the early years. Mind you if I have a nice lump of wood around there is an itch to get it on the lathe. All the family and a lot of friends now have enough bowls and nicnacks to last a lifetime so demand for product has declined. I have not got on to segmented work yet so perhaps I can beat this.
Regards
John John, I reckon I am even-stevens between turning and non-turning gear. The big Minimax CU300 Smart, two table saws , two cyclones (both not connected) and a woodwizz are the big ones in the other half of the shed. Plus all the clamps, including the Frontline 1200mm ones.. Obsessive? You bet! I do have an old spreadsheet somewhere for insurance purposes but who is going to believe that I have 8 routers? Hmm. I see Jim is keeping very quiet. I must talk some other turners to enter AWTEX just to keep him honest. BTW can anyone tell me why my Enter key doesn't take me onto a new paragraph?

powderpost
11th May 2014, 10:25 PM
Hi Jeff, I am still learning. You will need a reliable bench saw and more importantly a good quality saw blade, something like 250mm diameter, 3.2mm thick and 60 tooth. CMT blades are good for a nice clean cut. I prefer a saw bench fitted with sleds rather than a drop saw. A good reliable mitre gauge is necessary, and a drum sander is helpful. You will need a bunch or so, 150mm hose clamps. Get the cheaper variety, not the heavy duty type, for clamping up the rings. Go for a few simple segmented bowls before attempting feature rings. It is easy to get caught up in the advanced stuff before you have come to grips with the simple stuff. It is a fallacy thinking that segmenting is a good way to use up scraps, that just doesn't work.

This topic is too big to deal with in one post so ask questions and I will try to answer them. Having said that, there is still a few things that are being kept quiet for a while yet.. :;

Yep I will be entering and coming down for the Exhibition in June.

Jim

jefferson
11th May 2014, 10:54 PM
Geez, Jim, I hadn't even thought about a drum sander, I was thinking of my disc sander. The Jet ones are around $1200 I think. Good to see you entering and hope you make the record. I'd be keeping secrets to myself as well! I know Ken W. uses his little Jet drum sander as a thicknesser for his really fine stuff, so I reckon I can raise a good case. Thanks for helping out too. I will make some calls to Incra tomorrow.

jefferson
12th May 2014, 11:07 AM
Hi Jeff, I am still learning. You will need a reliable bench saw and more importantly a good quality saw blade, something like 250mm diameter, 3.2mm thick and 60 tooth. CMT blades are good for a nice clean cut. I prefer a saw bench fitted with sleds rather than a drop saw. A good reliable mitre gauge is necessary, and a drum sander is helpful. You will need a bunch or so, 150mm hose clamps. Get the cheaper variety, not the heavy duty type, for clamping up the rings. Go for a few simple segmented bowls before attempting feature rings. It is easy to get caught up in the advanced stuff before you have come to grips with the simple stuff. It is a fallacy thinking that segmenting is a good way to use up scraps, that just doesn't work.

This topic is too big to deal with in one post so ask questions and I will try to answer them. Having said that, there is still a few things that are being kept quiet for a while yet.. :;

Yep I will be entering and coming down for the Exhibition in June.

Jim
Jim, I ordered a 3000 Incra mitre sled plus the base. $780 with postage. From what I read, it should give me more options than the 1000. I also ordered the Tibbetts book as you suggested plus one other. I went for a cheapish 60 tooth blade from Henry Bros as the AKE blade was $170. As I might have mentioned, I have the Sawstop industrial cabinet saw and it's a ripper. Should do all I need. Now, off to the books for study purposes....

KBs PensNmore
12th May 2014, 07:36 PM
I was told "you can end up with a small fortune woodworking". I asked hows that "Start with a BIG one" was the reply:D
Kryn

jefferson
12th May 2014, 08:51 PM
I was told "you can end up with a small fortune woodworking". I asked hows that "Start with a BIG one" was the reply:D
KrynThat's an interesting one. Our club President (In OPEN at AWTEX for a few years now) turns lovely platters and particularly boxes with great shapes and finials. Nice bowls too. But you know, his biggest seller is Tops. By the hundred. He textures and colours them too to spruce them up and they walk out the door (some paid for,some not!).

Mobyturns
12th May 2014, 09:12 PM
That's an interesting one. Our club President (In OPEN at AWTEX for a few years now) turns lovely platters and particularly boxes with great shapes and finials. Nice bowls too. But you know, his biggest seller is Tops. By the hundred. He textures and colours them too to spruce them up and they walk out the door (some paid for,some not!).

I've swapped quite a few and donated most of my plainer spin tops to worthwhile charities but in any setting some people seem to think they are a "worthwhile charity" and just take freebies. Quite often I used to outsell in $$$ terms most of the other club turners at club sales day with just spin tops.

Christos
12th May 2014, 11:17 PM
...... I can see another woodturning journey beginning.

Excellent i will pull up a chair and see what develops. :U