PDA

View Full Version : Vicmark Vs Teknatool Scroll Chucks

chambezio
13th May 2014, 06:44 PM
Our good friends at Timberbits have dangled a carrot in front of me via an Email. (Others would have gotten the same Email)
They have some hot prices on Vicmark Chucks. I have 2 Teknatool Chucks- one is an earley 100mm one with 2 tommy bars and the other is a small pin chuck with other jaws. I am more than happy with the Teknatool ones but was wondering how they compare with the Vicmarks. Both brands seem to be highly regarded but some one may give me some idea what the Vicmarks are like in practice?

Big Shed
13th May 2014, 06:54 PM
Yes, excellent prices and don't forget as the order will be over $200 you get free shipping too.

DAMHIKT:;

jefferson
13th May 2014, 07:04 PM
Our good friends at Timberbits have dangled a carrot in front of me via an Email. (Others would have gotten the same Email)
They have some hot prices on Vicmark Chucks. I have 2 Teknatool Chucks- one is an earley 100mm one with 2 tommy bars and the other is a small pin chuck with other jaws. I am more than happy with the Teknatool ones but was wondering how they compare with the Vicmarks. Both brands seem to be highly regarded but some one may give me some idea what the Vicmarks are like in practice?

Rod, I've never used a Tecknatool chuck but have over a dozen Vicnarcs all with various jaws attached. Not one has given be any problem, except for one VM100 that I spilled some CA onto. Fixed that with some acetone. I always buy the companion chucks from Carrolls without any jaws and later buy the jaws I want. The standard jaws provided in the VM100 and VM120 are way too small for most jobs. So I'd be checking with Timberbits whether the standard small jaws are included in the price. The range of dovetail jaws for the VM100 (maybe 5 in total, excepting the step jaws which I don't like) is probably the cost of another chuck, but it does save you changing jaws all the time. The Vicmarcs are exported across the world and have a much better reputation that the competition IMO.

chambezio
13th May 2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks for those comments Jeff. With such a large collection that you have, to change brands would be a backward step.
As you have said both brands are exported worldwide! That says a lot for both brands too I reckon.

smiife
13th May 2014, 08:16 PM
Our goofriendsbits have Iangled a carrot in front of me via an Email. (Others would have gotten the same Email)

Hi rod,
You may have posted a question that I was about to ask
so I will watch with Interest.........thats is weird!!!
With referance to timberbits, I have tried many times
to look at there website and is not available,,,,
I also tried to order a smock at one stage and was
unable to even register with them, after many emails
I gave up!,!!!!! I always try to use advertiser/ sponsers
on the forum but have had no luck thus far, maybe It, s
just me.......hope you find the Info you want, I will be
interested in the results.
What are the price differance? Etc.

Pat
13th May 2014, 09:18 PM
I have 5 Teknatool chucks, a Titan and 4 SN II's. There is a definite difference in quality between the NZ manufactured chucks and the more recent PRC manufactured chucks. I also use VM's at the Woodclub and at various peoples playhouses. The quality is consistent thru the range 90 - 140 and over the years.

If I was starting out and knew what I know now, VM all the way, but I am happy with my Teknatool chucks, they do what they are designed for.

Uncle Al
13th May 2014, 09:25 PM

I just tried to get onto the Timberbits website usung Firefox and Chrome, no luck with either. I have been on their site some time ago without problems, and have visited their shop a couple of times. The staff are very helpful, and the prices are competitive for what I purchased. Must be a glitch which I am sure will be rectified.
As to which chuck, I would go for the Vicmarc mainly for build quality and ease of use. I have a Teknatool chuck with 2 levers, works fine but is a pain to use compared to the one handed Allen key system that Vicmarc uses. I have no experience with other brands.

Alan...

Big Shed
13th May 2014, 09:32 PM
I was on the Timberbits website late this afternoon (about 5pm) and placed an order after I emailed David to ask a question.

About half an hour later I tried to get back on (wanted to look at some other jaws :roll:) and couldn't get on, got a server error.

Assumed too many people trying to place orders!:doh:

Mobyturns
13th May 2014, 09:38 PM
I mostly do small work and use both the VM90 (four) & the older Nova Midi (two) with dedicated spindle thread however I have noticed the Nova's sit there while I always tend go for the Vicmarcs as my first preference. I do have a VM100, VM120’s a couple of Escoulen’s a wide range of face plates etc too. Both the VM90’s and Midi’s run true & work fine but the Nova's have some small irritating (to me) issues. They usually sit there until I really need another chuck.

As Jefferson says consider what your preferred projects are then choose the style of jaws that best suit that work and permit you to do it safely. Only then can you decide upon the "carrier" for those jaws. The best work holding device for your work may not even be a traditional scroll chuck.

I have a distinct preference for the Vicmarc jaw profile and that is the main reason the Midi's sit there, but my favourite chucks these days is are Vermec ER25 & ER32 Collet chucks.

hughie
13th May 2014, 09:45 PM
I have 1/2 dozen or so Teknatool chucks all NZ made and have no trouble with them. I dont treat them with kid gloves they have to earn their keep. The only real bug bear is the way they lock up its the reverse of engineering chucks and a PTA :C But I have got used to it.

I have not used a Vicmarc chuck but looked them over couldn't fault them, well made and finished.

Which is best I think you will find both are good and it will get down to personal choice. Initially I went with Teknatool because of jaw change ability .But now this is longer an issue as I have several of them.

As for Tommy bar chucks, well I cant see the point of a three hand operation chuck and so I have turned down several offers of them and gave away the only one I had with my Woodfast.

chambezio
13th May 2014, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the great replies to my question. As always with this Forum it doesn't take long for quality answers are forth coming.
As I said my Teknatool is an early one with 2 tommy bars.....yes it is handfull to load the chuck with a blank but after I made up an indexing ring I just park the stationary knob into a hole and then use just one tommy bar with one hand while the other hand holds the blank. I suppose it just what you get used too.

timberbits
13th May 2014, 10:52 PM
Hi rod,
You may have posted a question that I was about to ask
so I will watch with Interest.........thats is weird!!!
What are the price differance? Etc.

Though that I would just jump in to reply to issues about the website.

Apologies if you are unable to access the website 24 x 7, sometimes the website will be down.

As most of you guys already know, I am doing some pretty major upgrades of the Timberbits website. When I do database migrations, database backups or database upgrades, I will bring the website down for a couple of hours to make sure we don't loose any data.

I did a server relocate from the Amazon cloud in the USA to a local server in Pyrmont at a secure server bank a few months ago and I am now replicating a mirror server in the Melbourne - I sometime take the website down when doing some mirroring and replications. This is for DRP situtations incase a plane crashes into the Pyrmont building.

I am also doing lots of security upgrades to stay one step of the hackers. So far, we have not been hacked for over 5 years.

Also am in the process of a total website redesign which also may lead to some downtime.

If every your having difficulties with the website, you can always call us on 02 97883383 to place orders or to ask any questions.

I know the website should be 24 x 7 x 365, but sometime, when I am doing some of these upgrades, my fat fingers make mistakes or I click the wrong buttons, and the website goes down. When it is down, it is usually me rolling back the changes that I have made which takes the so long to get it back up again.

Apologies again if it has lead to anyone being frustrated with the website.

Regards

David

jefferson
13th May 2014, 10:53 PM
Just been onto the Timberbits website, no worries. Chuck prices for the VM 100 and VM120 ARE CHEAP. Bugger, I don't need another one. Free inserts for a start! Who supplies the tecknatool chucks so we can make a price comparison?

chuck1
14th May 2014, 06:41 AM
I have a few teknatool chucks the old black ones, 3G and SN2. They go well vicmarc were out of my price range at the time. But I might give one a whirl at that price!

greyhound
14th May 2014, 02:51 PM
Just been onto the Timberbits website, no worries. Chuck prices for the VM 100 and VM120 ARE CHEAP. Bugger, I don't need another one. Free inserts for a start! Who supplies the tecknatool chucks so we can make a price comparison?
Just ordered a vm100 chuck great price ($209.00)which includes a insert and free shipping and standard set of jaws :U

jefferson
14th May 2014, 04:37 PM
I'd check against the price of the companion chucks at Carrolls, plus the cost of new jaws. Either way, I think you're ahead, even if you end up with a stack of spare standard jaws.

mat_au
14th May 2014, 08:30 PM
i have 2 vicmark vm100 and a teknatool

the vicmark is so much nicer to use would go vicmark any day of the week

smiife
14th May 2014, 09:36 PM
Though that I would just jump in to reply to issues about the website.

Apologies if you are unable to access the website 24 x 7, sometimes the website will be down.

As most of you guys already know, I am doing some pretty major upgrades of the Timberbits website. When I do database migrations, database backups or database upgrades, I will bring the website down for a couple of hours to make sure we don't loose any data.

I did a server relocate from the Amazon cloud in the USA to a local server in Pyrmont at a secure server bank a few months ago and I am now replicating a mirror server in the Melbourne - I sometime take the website down when doing some mirroring and replications. This is for DRP situtations incase a plane crashes into the Pyrmont building.

I am also doing lots of security upgrades to stay one step of the hackers. So far, we have not been hacked for over 5 years.

Also am in the process of a total website redesign which also may lead to some downtime.

If every your having difficulties with the website, you can always call us on 02 97883383 to place orders or to ask any questions.

I know the website should be 24 x 7 x 365, but sometime, when I am doing some of these upgrades, my fat fingers make mistakes or I click the wrong buttons, and the website goes down. When it is down, it is usually me rolling back the changes that I have made which takes the so long to get it back up again.

Apologies again if it has lead to anyone being frustrated with the website.

Regards

David

Hi david/timberbits,
Firstly I would like to apologize, I understand you
have to upgrade your site it must have just been
bad timing on my behalf, also I think it might be
my tablet computer that is the problem, my partner
just tried on her computer and got through to your
site straight away!!!!!!! also ordered me a vicmarc
chuck:U good result all round!!:2tsup:

SNAFU11
15th May 2014, 05:20 AM
Ordered 2 of them yesterday,couldn't resist myself :U:U

Mick!!!

Jim Carroll
16th May 2014, 10:04 PM
As indicated Vicmarc are supplying the chucks with an insert so this has dropped the retail price by $30.00 in both the full chuck and the companion version.

As indicated the companion version is a great way to get a second chuck as it does not have any jaws but all the other parts needed for a complete chuck

Vicmarc also have a special on the VM100 chucks is a 70 mm faceplate ring and spare set of screws

All these are available at the brisbane wood show and later this week in the shop when we get home.

smiife
18th May 2014, 07:54 PM
Hi guys,
Just wanted to let you all know the excellent
service from timberbits, ordered my chuck
on wednesday night and received it on friday
for delivery in country nsw thats very quick
WOW!,!,!!!! that was quick,,,,,, and by the way
decided on the vicmarc and gave it a test run
today,,,,,,,, very happy chappy:U

greyhound
19th May 2014, 07:07 AM
Hi guys,
Just wanted to let you all know the excellent
service from timberbits, ordered my chuck
on wednesday night and received it on friday:U
for delivery in country nsw thats very quick
WOW!,!,!!!! that was quick,,,,,, and by the way
decided on the vicmarc and gave it a test run
today,,,,,,,, very happy chappy:U
What he said :2tsup:
Ordered mine Wednesday afternoon received 10.00 am Thursday not bad for free postage:U

timberbits
19th May 2014, 08:13 AM
What he said :2tsup:
Ordered mine Wednesday afternoon received 10.00 am Thursday not bad for free postage:U

Don't forget with our special, you will receive FREE postage to anywhere in Australia as well.

chuck1
21st May 2014, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone with a vicmarc Chuck what the distance between the two screw holes on the jaws? As I picked up a box of bits and box had a sticker with vicmarc on it,

smiife
21st May 2014, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone with a vicmarc Chuck what the distance between the two screw holes on the jaws? As I picked up a box of bits and box had a sticker with vicmarc on it,

Hi chuckie,
My vm120 Is 25mm approx.

Griz066
21st May 2014, 09:01 PM
I have a VM 100 on the way as well can't wait to give it a run on the new VM150.

Big Shed
21st May 2014, 09:56 PM

Away from home atm but will be home tomorrow, will measure my new VM100 then.

Be aware that the VM100 and the VM90 use the same jaws though.

pommyphil
22nd May 2014, 08:39 AM
About 18mm for the VM100 and 27mm for the VM120. Phil

Big Shed
22nd May 2014, 08:49 PM
Just measured my VM100 and as above it is 18mm.

Didn't measure my VM120.