PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Gaps

23a
18th June 2005, 12:26 AM
I have extra wide gaps between some of my timber windows and brickwork, in some cases I cannot bead around the windows with timber, and would like a neat finsh with render. Does anyone have an idea of how to render up these gaps - is there some kind of filler that can be used that render will stick to ?

ozwinner
18th June 2005, 09:05 AM
I have extra wide gaps between some of my timber windows and brickwork, in some cases I cannot bead around the windows with timber, and would like a neat finsh with render. Does anyone have an idea of how to render up these gaps - is there some kind of filler that can be used that render will stick to ?
What about some Selleys Space Invader, or the like?

Al :)

wombat47
19th June 2005, 08:07 AM
Years ago I came up with what I thought was the highly original idea of using newspaper jammed into a gap that had opened down an internal door frame, then plastering over the paper.

However, other brain cells have been there before me. Since then I have come across newspaper used as a gap filler in two other houses. Both finds have been made in the process of renovation, rather than repairing previous repair jobs, so the paper has held up over time. And going by the dates on the newspaper, the repairs were carried out in the 1920's and 1940's.

As long as the window is securely fixed you really only need something to stop the render from disappearing into the nether worlds. I have also found rope very handy - but it has to be thick enough to require a screwdriver or other implement to jam it solidly into the gap, 0.5cm or so below the level of the brickwork, and then apply appropriate filler.

Space Invader will certainly fill in the gap, but you might find that lurking below what you can actually see is a bottomless pit.

Pulse
19th June 2005, 08:40 PM
you could also use backing rod, a polyethylene rod, that comes in rolls and various diameters (10-25mm). It is used as a backing for filling gaps in industrial/commercial applications such as fireproofing penetrations etc.. found at bunnings or any building supplies place(for less)

Cheers
Pulse

Harry72
20th June 2005, 09:12 AM
Just fill it with render, clean up the area to be filled with a wire brush, dust it off, mix your render(3 fine shifted sand 1 cement, and some plastisiser)to a firm mix, give the area to be filled a good slopping of water wait for it to soak in, slop in the mix with a throwing/flicking action and flaten off with a wood trowel in a circular motion teather out the edges with a wet paint brush. Come back in about a 1/2hr rework it to match the surrounding area, try to keep direct sunlight off it until its near dry to touch.
Buy a book on the subject before starting and practice on some old bricks or broken up cement, once you get the general idea its not that hard to do small repair work, just time consuming. To render a whole wall its another story.