PDA

View Full Version : Spiral vase inspired by Hughie

Rod Gilbert
18th May 2014, 08:03 PM
Here is a piece that I have been working on recently as said in the title I was inspired by Huhgie's spiral work and wanted to have a crack.
Regards Rod.

Sawdust Maker
18th May 2014, 08:25 PM
Nice work

you're the master!

dai sensei
18th May 2014, 10:26 PM
Beautiful piece, what's the timber?

Ilya
18th May 2014, 10:33 PM
Excellent result, thank you for showing! Is it made of two pieces?

Hermit
18th May 2014, 10:52 PM
Verrry nice Rod, and a top-notch finish too. :2tsup:
Like Neil, I'd be interested to know what the timber is? And what finish you used, if you don't mind.

Christos
18th May 2014, 11:06 PM
A very nice piece. Good to see people being inspired.

Rod Gilbert
19th May 2014, 08:05 AM
Hi guy's,
Thanks for the comments. The timber is crows ash and the finish is sprayed satin laquer. Yes it was made from 2 pieces as I had made a start at the spirals a little while ago just as an exercise it was just the base bowl piece and then liked it so much I wanted to do something with it,I thought about a lid and finial but decided to make it into the vase. I was surprised how well the crows ash carved it was hard but cut very well so consistent in the grain I guess.
Regards Rod.

PLD
19th May 2014, 11:05 AM
Holly Molly that is nice!! Excellent work. I'm curious what tool you use to crave the spirals with? I really think you made the correct decision on making it into a vase, it just looks perfect.

Rod Gilbert
19th May 2014, 01:08 PM
Hi PLD,
I used a straight shaft 6mm 45 deg V shaped carving chisel to start following my set out lines working away until I had separated the sections then the V chisel and a 1/2" paring chisel to blend the rounded tops, then lot's of sanding. I didn't have a deep hollowing tool and any of my scrapers were causing me grief because of the overhang to clean up the bottom of the bowl and the inside of the neck where it blended into the bottom opening. So I ordered a woodcut pro-forme flexi hollower from Pop's shed and can't thank them enough with their prompt service (I asked for it as soon as possible at 2.00pm on Thursday afternoon from Melbourne and it was here at Imbil Queensland first thing the next morning.)
But as I didn't want to remove the job from the chuck and re-chuck it as the outside and most of the inside was finished at that stage and I didn't want any off centre problems with it. I had to learn how to use it on the piece which was a bit of a challenge but all came out well I think.
Regards Rod.

smiife
19th May 2014, 07:56 PM
Hi rod,
Well done , very nice job on the vase
looks great:2tsup::2tsup:

TTIT
19th May 2014, 10:18 PM
Very well done :2tsup: Finish looks flawless!!

hughie
19th May 2014, 10:59 PM
Nice one Rod, excellent finish. :2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
24th May 2014, 06:55 AM
And it gets a big :2tsup: from me too.