PDA

View Full Version : Companies who can square dress recycled timber?

relics1956
18th May 2014, 09:33 PM
Hi all........does anyone know of a business in Melbourne who can square dress recycled timber....hardwood and softwood......timber is de-nailed.......

hardwoodjoint
20th May 2014, 04:37 PM
I asked a couple of companies if they'd dress recycled timber.
They refused saying if there was any hidden nails it would ruin the blades in their machines.

_fly_
20th May 2014, 05:05 PM
join a mens shed and they will let you do it yourself (and even help).
They will make sure you put a metal detector over to make sure there are no nails or hidden metal.

artful bodger
20th May 2014, 06:13 PM
I asked a couple of companies if they'd dress recycled timber.
They refused saying if there was any hidden nails it would ruin the blades in their machines.

You cant really blame them for refusing, reckon I would steer clear myself. Another problem with recycled timber is that it has more than likely been either thrown on the ground or just sat on the ground. Quite often when this happens small stones get embedded in the timber and your metal detector wont pick them up. Maybe if you had a small electric planer and roughly squared the boards first you might have more chance in getting someone to do the job. Much better to put nicks in your hand planer with relatively cheap disposable blades than put them in much larger blades that will usually cost more to sharpen than the disposable ones cost outright.
Good luck with your job.

cava
20th May 2014, 09:06 PM
join a mens shed and they will let you do it yourself (and even help).
They will make sure you put a metal detector over to make sure there are no nails or hidden metal.
My local mens shed actively discourages the use of recycled timber, and if I did want to use any of the machines for recycled timber, I would be financially responsible for any damage caused.

_fly_
20th May 2014, 09:31 PM
My local mens shed actively discourages the use of recycled timber, and if I did want to use any of the machines for recycled timber, I would be financially responsible for any damage caused.

My club does as well, "Discourages" but not forbidden, but with the committee members being the biggest offenders, I'd like to see them stop me.
If its an old clean pergola post with then ends cut off and metal detector checked it should be ok.
Its not as bad as the members who like to cut thru root balls looking for figure on the bandsaw when its still full of dirt and stones.

Treecycle
22nd May 2014, 01:57 PM

Sounds like a fair system.

Pagie
22nd May 2014, 02:09 PM
Also a lot of old timber has been painted with lead paint.