PDA

View Full Version : G'day - Sarah here - costume builder at large...

Sarah1968
20th May 2014, 05:01 PM
Hi everyone.

Quick intro. I'm Sarah from Sydney (AUS) and I build costumes for fun for conventions, charity events, etc. I've been doing this for a couple of years now however I'm currently working on a 7 foot 5 Chewbacca costume (from Star Wars) which I hope to debut at Supanova in Sydney (Homebush) on Saturday 14 June.

My problem is that I will be up on drywall stilts and am basically terrified of stacking it and falling on an unsuspecting child who just wants to see Chewie. There is a prop I discovered today that I would love to be made by 7 June. The one in the picture is carved from wood and the majority of the length is a modified pool cue or two. The prop doesn't have to actually be wood but needs to look just like it - although actual wood would be beautiful. Doesn't have to be anything flash - just something that will stand up to a little pressure (and a non-slip base would be awesome).

Pic here:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060905163401/starwars/images/0/0c/Wookiee_Elder%27s_Staff.jpg

More info here from a guy in the US who makes them but they're very expensive and the shipping costs are horrendous:
http://imgur.com/a/fyTjO

The staff is around 8 foot in height. I wonder if anyone would do a commission job for around A$200/250? I understand the timing is poor however if I don't get a response by weeks end, I will look at creating it myself from I'm not sure what :)

Appreciate any responses.

Kind regards
Sarah.

steamjunkprops
21st May 2014, 08:40 AM
G'day Sarah, im another aussie prop maker/cosplayer. Send me a message over on my fb page
www.facebook.com/steamjunkprops
and I should be able to do this.

old1955
21st May 2014, 11:38 AM
Welcome to the forum Sarah.

crowie
22nd May 2014, 10:21 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Sarah".
There are a heap of members in Sydney and the surrounding areas.....the Sydney Wood Show is coming up next month too.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
That prop staff is pretty fancy....
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers, crowie

JJF
22nd May 2014, 11:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Sarah