PDA

View Full Version : Looking for used mini lathe is Brisbane

tcjbrown
23rd May 2014, 04:48 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a mini lathe in the Brisbane/Logan area for the purpose of turning pens and possibly lidded boxes.
Price is somewhat of a factor, as I'm only 18 and work part time while at Uni.
Would appreciate any suggestions that you can offer.
Thanks.

dai sensei
23rd May 2014, 11:25 PM
Hi tcjbrown and welcome to the forums.

Any buying and/or selling, including wanted to buy, should be in our Market Place and not in this sub-forum. Any further posts in this line in this thread will be deleted

Advice on types of suitable lathes is a common question and you should do a search but these threads may give you some direction:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=184687
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=184586

You can also contact your local woodturning clubs

Ironwood
24th May 2014, 02:26 PM
Hi Tcjbrown, welcome.

Do you have a price range / budget in mind ? It would help anyone to make some suggestions for you.

As well as the lathe you will also need a range of tools to get started, do you have anything already. The tools can add up to equal the price of the lathe pretty quickly.

Best to ask questions before laying down the money, you might save yourself spending money on stuff you don't really need.

tcjbrown
24th May 2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the reply, my budget for the midi lathe itself is about $600, I see that the woodfast m305 is well reviewed, any thoughts?
My budget for the required extras is dependent upon what is recommended; I’m happy to pay what’s required for quality tools and will defer to the greater experience of this forum’s members.
I am a member of a local woodworking club that’s well supplied with several jet lathes, so I am more looking something semi compact for use at home.
Thanks.

Hermit
24th May 2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, my budget for the midi lathe itself is about $600, I see that the woodfast m305 is well reviewed, any thoughts?

Going by your thread title, I thought you were looking for a mini, yet now it appears you're looking for a midi.

Anyway, I was going to suggest that you check out Pop's Shed for a mini. I bought their 10" x 18" 6 months ago and am more than happy with it and can also vouch for their after-sales service, which is second to none. Comes bundled with a 50mm scroll chuck, and also if you're a member of a woodies club they give a 10% discount. The total for mine was $472.50 after the discount, plus $60 delivery from Vic to NSW.

Pop's Shed are here: http://www.popsshed.com.au/Default.aspx

tcjbrown
24th May 2014, 04:48 PM
My apologies, the thread title was definitely misleading.
Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out.

Bluegum
24th May 2014, 05:27 PM
G'day TC welcome mate.

If you in the market for a set of tools match your lathe, then I highly recommend you look at the Robert Sorbey starter pack. Comes with the 6 basic tools to get you started I the world of turning. Available from Jim Carroll there at cws.com.au I own a set, and am very happy with them. I think they go for about $240 there about

Ironwood
24th May 2014, 08:19 PM
With $600 to spend you should be good to get yourself a decent Midi.
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago, Dai Sensei (Neil) has linked it in his post above.
I have ended up opting for the GPW midi. It is on route to me now.
Both the GPW and the Woodfast come in under your budget, that would leave you some spare cash to buy some necessary tools.

tcjbrown
24th May 2014, 09:31 PM
Appreciate all the help, looks like a choice between the gpw and the woodfast.
There's a place not far from me that stocks the woodfast, so I'll go in and check it out on monday.
Thanks.

Tangoman
24th May 2014, 09:58 PM
G'day,

I own both the GPW mini and midi - cant fault either !
Also recommend their tool sets to start off with.

Cam

tcjbrown
26th May 2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all of the help everyone, I ended up heading in to Carbatec today and I picked up the woodfast.
Set it up with the stand and from the little messing around I've done with it today, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy using it.
Once again, thanks for all of the assistance.

Tangoman
26th May 2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all of the help everyone, I ended up heading in to Carbatec today and I picked up the woodfast.
Set it up with the stand and from the little messing around I've done with it today, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy using it.
Once again, thanks for all of the assistance.

Enjoy Mate !!

tcjbrown
27th May 2014, 12:13 PM
Okay, spoke a little too soon, it appears that I can't move the motor upwards to slacken the belts for changing.
I'm hoping it's just user error so that I can get back to turning, but it appears that the lever has no way to go upwards.
Any ideas?

Tim the Timber Turner
27th May 2014, 01:11 PM
Pull the lever sideways and move upwards and release.

Then you can take another bite at undoing the motor lock.

Simple once you have done it once.

Cheers
Tim:)

tcjbrown
27th May 2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the help Tim, that sorted it.
Now, back to making a field of mushrooms :)