PDA

View Full Version : Information on Sheraton

TomW
24th May 2014, 11:28 PM
Hi All
Im procrastinating over a lathe acquisition
I would like to get a few viewpoints on the Sheraton challenger if anyone out there owns one
what are its specs , eg swing , dist between centre , spindle bore and speed range
And a rough ballpark value for one in pretty good condition
thanks in advance
Tom.

.RC.
24th May 2014, 11:50 PM
Specs are 14" swing, 28 or 36" between centres, 1 11/16" spindle bore weight around 850kg.. Spindle nose will depend on age... I have seen some that use the A series spindle noses, others that use the D series... The A series is bolt on, the D series uses camlocking pins..

Quality wise when new I would have said they were a bit better then say an equivalent colchester lathe..

The Sheraton line of lathes seemed to have been a slightly altered version of the Le Blond, Regal line of lathe. Le Blond is/was a well regarded US manufacturer of lathes..

Ueee
25th May 2014, 01:02 AM
RC nailed it, the Sheraton are copies of the later LeBlond Regals. I'm not sure if they copied the servo shift, i have never seen one with, but if the one your looking at does AVOID IT.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/regal/page5.html

Ew

Garry 3
25th May 2014, 09:26 PM
I leaned against a Sheraton Defiance lathe for 6 months in the late 80's also did the occasional bit of work with it too.
Great lathe; accurate, reliable, and just pleasant to use. Preferred it over a Colchester.
About 5 year ago I was in Hare and Forbes and they had about a dozen of these from TAFE and were asking $3600 each if memory serves me correct. They'd all been sold by then otherwise I'd have bought one. It is on my list of machines I'd like to buy if I can find a good one local to me.

Garry