PDA

View Full Version : Best way to drill pen blanks with lathe

Griz066
25th May 2014, 12:51 PM
I have a Vicmarc VM100 chuck and am looking to drill my blanks in the lathe. I am looking at either of the 2 ways listed and would appreciate your thoughts on which is the best.
2 Jaw pen blank chuck (https://mcjing.com.au/categorybrowser.aspx?categoryid=64#2-JAWPENBLANKCHUCK)
Or
Vicmarc 35mm Pin jaws (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/vicmarc-35mm-pin-jaws)

chuck1
25th May 2014, 02:16 PM
I personally would stick with vicmarc jaws as you get a set of 4 jaws and may come in handy for other projects where as the Pen blank jaws I would find less versatile, that's just my personal view.

Treecycle
25th May 2014, 02:26 PM
:iagree:

Mobyturns
25th May 2014, 04:17 PM
Look in the recent posts in the pen turners forum - a whole host of solutions were discussed recently including drilling on the lathe

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=184551

Griz066
25th May 2014, 05:35 PM
Look in the recent posts in the pen turners forum - a whole host of solutions were discussed recently including drilling on the lathe

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=184551
Thank you for posting the link but I already found that in my search and have chosen 2 ideas that I like and was asking for your opinion on each way.
It would have taken you no more time to give your opinion rather than post a link assuming that I hadn't done a search first.

Big Shed
25th May 2014, 05:50 PM
Thank you for posting the link but I already found that in my search and have chosen 2 ideas that I like and was asking for your opinion on each way.
It would have taken you no more time to give your opinion rather than post a link assuming that I hadn't done a search first.

And perhaps if you had indicated that you had already actually done a search and narrowed it down to those 2 options you may have had a different answer.

I realise you are relatively new to this forum, but let me assure you that we get a lot of "ground hog day" questions, ie the same questions over and over that people could easily answer for themselves if they did just a little home work.

Giving testy responses to people good enough to respond to your question will ensure fewer responses to your next question.

Have a good day.

Griz066
25th May 2014, 07:13 PM
Still tossing up which way to go.. Both have pros and cons i guess.

Griz066
25th May 2014, 07:17 PM
And perhaps if you had indicated that you had already actually done a search and narrowed it down to those 2 options you may have had a different answer.

I realise you are relatively new to this forum, but let me assure you that we get a lot of "ground hog day" questions, ie the same questions over and over that people could easily answer for themselves if they did just a little home work.

Giving testy responses to people good enough to respond to your question will ensure fewer responses to your next question.

Have a good day.
See this all the time on every forum. If you have been a member for a long time every question will be a "Ground Hog Day" question.
Here's a tip, just ignore them and let someone who wants to contribute do so, there is nothing to be gained by posting tips on searching before asking questions other than inflating your post count that is. Gets on my goat. Rant over.

MrFez
25th May 2014, 08:43 PM
I personally would stick with vicmarc jaws as you get a set of 4 jaws and may come in handy for other projects where as the Pen blank jaws I would find less versatile, that's just my personal view.

I agree, I have a SupaNova 2 chuck with 100mm jaws and I find I can drill all of my pen blanks by using the very centre of the jaws to grip and turn the blank.

Mobyturns
25th May 2014, 09:59 PM

No problem - my preference is covered in the other post.

Big Shed
25th May 2014, 10:05 PM
See this all the time on every forum. If you have been a member for a long time every question will be a "Ground Hog Day" question.
Here's a tip, just ignore them and let someone who wants to contribute do so, there is nothing to be gained by posting tips on searching before asking questions other than inflating your post count that is. Gets on my goat. Rant over.

Well you obviously don't want anyone to respond, so I am closing the thread.

Have great day.