PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the problem ?

Tim_N
25th May 2014, 05:28 PM
I have been looking quite closely at my lathe for anything which might cause the wobble which I have mentioned in an earlier thread HERE. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=184804) I watched it closely when spinning both by hand and when it was turned on. I noticed the inside wheel on the motor seemed not to be straight. I think it might be causing the drive belt to wiggle slightly and may be causing the in and out movement through the spindle.

314616 The red square is just to highlight the bend looking straight on.
314617The arrow is pointing at the slight warp in the drive belt which might be causing the spindle wobble I can feel.
314618 A downward view of the drive wheel.

I can get some spare parts from Hafco which I think would be able to replace this. Does anyone think that this might be the possible reason for the wobble ??

Hermit
25th May 2014, 06:36 PM
Eureka! (Maybe)
My guess is that you've possibly found the cause of the problem, but wait and see what others say. Aside from wobble, that warped pulley could cause the belt to ride higher at that point, causing minute fluctuations in speed as it turns.

Re-reading your first thread, though, this problem only started recently. If the pulley was always like that, it would have always wobbled. Did that warp in the pulley possibly happen when you changed the belt, or does it look like a bad casting?
If it appears to have happened from a knock, be careful that there aren't any tiny cracks in the casting that might cause a more serious failure. If it's from a knock, I'd personally replace it ASAP, just in case.

Again, wait and see what others think. I'm no lathe expert.

Edit: From your first thread:

The cast aluminium reeves drive pulleys are known to fail even on new machines - so that would be the first point to inspect. Check for cracked or broken pulleys probably not likely given you have changed the belt.

Treecycle
25th May 2014, 10:25 PM
That looks like a pretty severe bend in the drive pulley by the second photo. I would expect that you would be getting some form of speed variation in your work piece, and I would have thought some vibration. Unless you have some slack in your bearings, the work piece should still run true, not as you expressed in your other thread that you thought it may be running on and off centre.
I hope that is your problem, as it can be easily replaced.

chuck1
26th May 2014, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't expect run out either, vibration yes! I had a pulley shatter due to poor casting, definitely replace it soon!

Jim Carroll
26th May 2014, 10:02 AM
As others have indicated, vibration only not a cause for running out of round etc

You will spend hours procrastinating over all the issues that are the norm for this type of lathe.

Time to cut your losses and move on.

Mobyturns
26th May 2014, 10:24 PM
As others have indicated, vibration only not a cause for running out of round etc

You will spend hours procrastinating over all the issues that are the norm for this type of lathe.

I have to agree with Jim. You either get a good one or you get the standard quality. If your skills have stepped up a level so that you are noticing the issues that you are chasing now it is time to move on. I have seen very good work from these lathes but the turners work hard to keep them up to scratch. The more wear the more effort it requires from the turner to keep them going satisfactorily.

Tim_N
27th May 2014, 08:46 AM

I have to agree with Jim. You either get a good one or you get the standard quality. If your skills have stepped up a level so that you are noticing the issues that you are chasing now it is time to move on. I have seen very good work from these lathes but the turners work hard to keep them up to scratch. The more wear the more effort it requires from the turner to keep them going satisfactorily.

Unfortunately I dont have the funds to replace this lathe for a while. I am going to have to see if replacing the drive wheels fixes the problem, if not then I am not too sure what I will do. Perhaps I would have to look at replacement of the lathe if I cant solve the problem that way, cross that bridge when I get to it !
Thanks for the replies. Will be putting an order in at Machinery House for the replacement parts hopefully this weekend !