PDA

View Full Version : I should really

Dalboy
28th May 2014, 07:08 AM
Well the title says it all I should really be getting on with the train I am building, but other jobs got in the way one being some money boxes and the other a small competition piece from another forum I visit.

Anyway this is the small comp piece I turned. Part of the challenge is you must use 3 different woods.

Anyway I used Sapele, Ash and beech I thought that a box was the order of the day.

artme
28th May 2014, 09:13 AM
A beautiful piece!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The combination of timbers is really effective and the proportions are excellent.

dai sensei
28th May 2014, 12:37 PM
Beautiful work :cool:

Perhaps the only change I would make, would be to make the legs out of the darker timber and abandon the base disk, but that is just my taste and feel free to ignore me :U

Christos
28th May 2014, 04:19 PM
Very nice.

Hermit
28th May 2014, 07:22 PM
That's a pretty fancy-looking little box, Derek. I really like it, especially those legs. They really suit it, but I too think they would have looked even better in a dark timber, to make them stand out against the body a bit more.
I often don't like finials on boxes, either, but in this case it looks great and 'belongs' there.
Nice work. :2tsup:

You'll have to let us know how you go in the comp. :wink:

smiife
28th May 2014, 08:25 PM
Hi dalboy,
Looks great, well done
I also think it doesn, t need the base
Just my opinion......for what thats worth.....:U

crowie
28th May 2014, 08:37 PM
That's beautiful Derek even if it's not a train..... top finish too....Cheers, crowie

chuck1
28th May 2014, 09:01 PM
That has to be a comp winner! Impressive!

TTIT
28th May 2014, 10:24 PM
Looks very well done :2tsup: Would I be right in suspecting the form is just sitting in those legs as a stand??? - in which case it would be easy to change the colour if you wanted to go with the lads ideas :shrug:

................. and feel free to ignore me :UOK! :;

Rod Gilbert
28th May 2014, 10:27 PM
Hi dalboy,
And a nice box it is. That is a very impressive piece I love the shape of the bowl the proportions are excellent.
Regards Rod.

Dalboy
29th May 2014, 05:47 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts on this piece.

It is great to have constructive criticism, the stand needs some thinking about originally the brass rods were going to be curved in the opposite direction so the box sat on the very ends of them. But when I did the mock up it just did not sit or look right

Looks very well done :2tsup: Would I be right in suspecting the form is just sitting in those legs as a stand??? - in which case it would be easy to change the colour if you wanted to go with the lads ideas :shrug:

Yes you are right it just sits on it so changing the stand is possible

............... and feel free to ignore me :U

OK! :;

I don't believe you would ignore him:roflmao::roflmao:would you:roflmao:

SNAFU11
29th May 2014, 06:09 AM
Very nice indeed mate...:2tsup:

Mick!!!

powderpost
29th May 2014, 11:32 AM
That is a very nice piece. I like the shape, the lid and the finial. If anything, I would make the legs a little thicker to match the finial. They also look a bit frail, in relation to the size of the bowl. Just they way I see it. :2tsup: :2tsup:
Jim

Dalboy
1st June 2014, 10:05 PM
Thank you for the comments everyone. The results for the competition came out today. I received a First for this piece i am happy with that

Hermit
1st June 2014, 10:12 PM
Thank you for the comments everyone. The results for the competition came out today. I received a First for this piece i am happy with that

Well done mate. :clap:
You'd have to be happy with that.

crowie
2nd June 2014, 09:34 AM

Now that's something to crow about....come on Derek where's the photos please....VERY WELL DONE SIR.....Cheers, crowie :wtg: :hooray:

PLD
2nd June 2014, 09:58 AM
Although I know you want constructive criticism, until I can make something that pretty, I would be hard pressed to come up with that might improve it. I think it is great the way it is.

Allan at Wallan
2nd June 2014, 11:31 AM

Congratulations - well deserved.:2tsup:

Allan

powderpost
2nd June 2014, 11:32 AM
Congratulations... Well done :2tsup:
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd June 2014, 07:21 PM
Well earned! :1st:

smiife
2nd June 2014, 09:00 PM
:wink:Well done dalboy:2tsup: