PDA

View Full Version : Timber Sawn from Farm Grown Trees.

Bob Whitworth
28th May 2014, 03:30 PM
I'm starting off my business of selling sawn boards from the trees that I have planted on my farm over the years. Mostly I grow Hoop Pine but I also grow Red Cedar, Qld Maple, Silver Ash and small amounts of many others. I also have some Eucalyptus, Gympie Messmate, and naturally some Camphor Laurel. My premium product would be 12inch wide knot free HP boards but what I am really looking for is a market for all the smaller dimensions from smaller logs. I have recently purchased a European sliding table sawmill and I have access to a Lucas mill next door. I'm located near Gympie, about 160km north of Brisbane. I've also starting off an internet site at www.treeplanter.com.au which contains more information. I'm happy to sell one off boards but naturally I'd like to be a regular supplier to someone.

Xanthorrhoeas
30th May 2014, 08:54 PM
Hi Bob, it's great to see someone doing old-style forestry as a conservation program. I am only a hobbyist, so unlikely to be a big customer, but would certainly consider buying from you. The 'woodies' market is very price-sensitive as I am sure that you realise. Most don't have too much to spend, so if your prices are keen business will be brisk. If you want commercial rates then there is a lot of wood stock out there to compete with.

How are you drying the timber? Do you ave a kiln, are you air drying or is it supplied wet?

Regards

David

Bob Whitworth
31st May 2014, 07:49 PM
David,
Thanks for your positive words! Yes it has been both a long term project and is quite a challenge. At the moment my priority is to build a proper

shed over the mill. It has also been an eye opener dealing with some people. Finding suitable markets for a range of products is the issue from

valuable boards to give aways which I even like since plenty of things are no good to me. At the moment I keep very little stock on hand as I

have not much space to dry and store it but as things progress and I find my way, I'm sure that I will build a kiln and stockpile some wood.At

the moment I am quite happy to sell just one off boards or even larger amounts to make a few sales and establish what ever is a fair and

competitive price.