PDA

View Full Version : Duchess and Mica

gawdelpus
28th May 2014, 08:41 PM
A bit of a glitzy blank for the Duchess kit :) This is another of Tony's new blanks :) you can't see the real golden glitter in this but it is a bit special hehe, had to do a CA finish to really pop this :) Cheers ~ John

dai sensei
28th May 2014, 10:08 PM
Can't wait until I see one of these in the flesh, certainly looks interesting :cool:.

What was it like to turn?

Ironwood
28th May 2014, 10:12 PM
Looks like a lot going on in that blank John. Thanks for showing.

gawdelpus
28th May 2014, 10:18 PM
Can't wait until I see one of these in the flesh, certainly looks interesting :cool:.

What was it like to turn?
Not as difficult as the Mystical stone blank :) the mica seems to be a bit hard ,and this particular blank had a lot of air holes to deal with, hence the CA fill :) It drilled ok with normal HSS drills ,so I am guessing normal tools (skew) would work ok ,like all these combo blanks just need care and a little patience :) and that's all I have "a little patience" hehe, cheers ~ John

MBUMIK
29th May 2014, 12:31 AM
looks great john, almost looks like there has been colors have been layered with clear in between each layer

i am sure that will gone before you get home from the next market... thats if it gets there to start with:D

MIK

Perfect Pens
30th May 2014, 10:51 PM
John,

Another job well done, pen looks great. I done a jnr Victor in the Mica and found it very easy to turn :2tsup: I also had a couple of small air bubbles but they dissapear all together with the CA finish.

Well worth the effort for something a little different :D

Cheers
Tony.

plantagenon
1st June 2014, 01:18 PM
Great looking pen John. I like the look of the gold in the blank. Pity I can't get a timber blank with gold laced through it or maybe I can

plantagenon
2nd June 2014, 08:19 AM
Those pens of yours look brilliant John, so I jumped in the car and headed down to see Tony at Perfect Pens. I got a couple of them and a Churchill fountain pen and pen to put them on. I will give them a go this week sometime and see how it goes.

gawdelpus
2nd June 2014, 08:49 AM
Those pens of yours look brilliant John, so I jumped in the car and headed down to see Tony at Perfect Pens. I got a couple of them and a Churchill fountain pen and pen to put them on. I will give them a go this week sometime and see how it goes.

You should have no trouble Greg :), those blanks should look great on a churchill, But not sure if they will be big enough for the churchill tubes ? . I sold the stone one at the markets yesterday , I only showed it to a few people as I was thinking about keeping it for myself :) But I had an offer around what I thought it was worth ,plus he bought a couple of other pens off me so at the same time , so it will now live in Melbourne hehe. Cheers~ John

plantagenon
2nd June 2014, 12:09 PM
Damn, I hadn't thought about that :doh: Might recast them in a bit more clear resin until I drill the holes. That might hold them together and fill in the bubble holes.

plantagenon
2nd June 2014, 08:49 PM
I cast the mica blanks in clear resin today. It will give me a lot more support to drill a churchill through it. Oh well, we will see. Off to John's tomorrow and we will find out.

Perfect Pens
2nd June 2014, 11:40 PM
I cast the mica blanks in clear resin today. It will give me a lot more support to drill a churchill through it. Oh well, we will see. Off to John's tomorrow and we will find out.

Greg,

I drilled and made a Jnr Victor in the Mica blank and never had any issues :D

Cheers
Tony.