PDA

View Full Version : lace bobbin turning update

Jenny Brandis
19th June 2005, 03:57 PM
In April 05 I asked on here about what sort of lathe would work to turn lace bobbins with the understanding that I was buying this hunk of machinery for my husband to make hundreds of wooden bobbins for me to use in my lace making.

I ordered a carbatec Midi Lathe which then led to buying a bench to put it on and that led to a drill press, which then led to a bandsaw, electric grinding wheel etc etc. It would have been a whole lot cheaper for me to have bought the specialty bobbins available online.

But - that is not the end of the story. Because husband had not worked with a lathe for years and never with wood he decided (and I agreed) that he should start with something a bit thicker than a bobbin. This is where things got nasty.

He discovered pen making. His mates loved them so much they bought them and placed orders for more .... I am now learning how to turn wood to make the bobbins which brings me the long winded way to my question.

How do I get the 3/8" square wood to stick/stay on the spikey bits?

rsser
19th June 2005, 04:39 PM
Hi Jenny, well sometimes it's quickest to do it yourself! And bravo for having a go.

There are small drive centres on the market, and I'm not a miniature/mini turner myself, but the name Stebs centre springs to mind.

Check out http://www.toolpost.co.uk/system/index.html

The Stebscentre is available in Oz:
http://www.mik.com.au/catalogues/WT-Pages-34-to-47.pdf
-large download; otherwise shoot for a small four-spur drive centre.

smidsy
19th June 2005, 08:16 PM
Hi Jenny,
Timbecon do a 16mm spur drive - check out
http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/lathe-accessories-377_0.aspx

Cheers
Paul

powderpost
19th June 2005, 08:53 PM
Hi Jenny... I turned lace bobbins while they were the flavour of the month. I started the process by holding one end of the stock in a drill chuck in the headstock, and the other on a revolving cone centre. Turn the tailstock end round for about 12mm then turn it around by putting the now round end into the drill chuck and support it on the cone centre. It should now spin relatively accurately. I turned a wide variety of woods and bone, and found the hardwoods better to use.
Jim

gatiep
20th June 2005, 02:21 AM
Hi Jenny,

Welcome back! I do remember responding to your original post. Also congratulations on taking up woodturning.............it is a most enjoyable hobby as hubby no doubt has discovered! Carbatec in Perth have a morse 2 taper spur drive that is only 10 mm ( 3/8" ) accross the spur. Do you know what size ( morse taper ) your lathe takes? By you saying that you have a Carbatec midi lathe I'm not sure what it is. BTW the new catalog ( 2005 ) has those spur drives on page 177 at $19-00 and the 2004 one has it on page 184 at $29-00. Lots of products seem to have come down in price!

Powderpost has a good idea for gripping them in the drill chuck once the ends have been turned to a cylinder. Happy turning!

PAH1
20th June 2005, 09:25 AM
I remember reading thew original as well, I also know how addictive pen making is. You may want to consider a steb style centre, they are the ones with a lot of small tooth like points and a spring loaded centre pin. Copies are available for not a lot of money.

The upside of this is that you win on both sides, when your friends ask where you got those great bobbins, you can say that your husband was supposed to make them but he didn't and you had to yourself!

JackoH
20th June 2005, 10:39 AM
Jenny. Get yourself a copy of "Turning Lace Bobbins" by David Springett. All your questions will be answered. (You have'nt stopped spending money yet!)
Your bobbins will cost you approx $50 each , but of course, the more you make the cheaper they become. Think of all the fun you will have. ;)

ribot
20th June 2005, 12:06 PM
Your husband is a crafty bugger, isn't he?

Jenny Brandis
20th June 2005, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=gatiep]
morse 2 taper spur drive that is only 10 mm ( 3/8" ) accross the spur. Do you know what size ( morse taper ) your lathe takes? By you saying that you have a Carbatec midi lathe I'm not sure what it is.

Oops, purchased form Carbatec Perth (guy named Geoff has been laughing at all my weird girl logic) - actually a Delta Midi Lathe

It is a morse 2 taper (Husband has been learning :)

gatiep
21st June 2005, 02:16 AM
Jenny

Yep, the Delta Midi has a # 2 MT, so the 3/8" spur drive @ $19-00 in the catalog will do the trick.

Enjoy your turning ( and you thought you bought it for Hubby!!! lol )