PDA

View Full Version : Lost in Space

j.ashburn
30th May 2014, 09:37 AM
Good morning Forum members.It has been a while since I have been on the forum activity,health,family and lots of other things have been holding me up [no I not been a guest of Her Majesty]but feel like I have.
I do owe a debt of gratitude to Joe H who called in to see if there was any activity here and he left assured that all was well. Thanks to other members who asked after my welfare too.
hopefully I can now get back to normal read upon past posts and start contributing to such a large group of ''brains trust''in the metal working arena.Cheers for now John.

rogerbaker
30th May 2014, 10:49 AM
Good to see you back John

Roger

Oldneweng
30th May 2014, 10:53 AM
Good to see you back John. I was wondering where you had got to.

Dean

Steamwhisperer
30th May 2014, 01:43 PM
Welcome back John.
Best news in a long time. I popped over a couple of weeks back but I just wasn't sure which was your house.
A door knock wasn't allowed...the wife was with me.

Phil

morrisman
30th May 2014, 01:52 PM
YES BEEN WONDERING WHY U HAVE BEEN MISSING........... MIKE

Grahame Collins
30th May 2014, 02:01 PM
Good to have you back on deck,
Grahame

Toggy
30th May 2014, 08:09 PM
When I went through Campbelltown a few weeks ago I noticed a newish sign "John Ashburn" displayed on the old garage/shed beside the Black Duck hotel. Jogged my memory of the requests re your whereabouts.

Ken

Steamwhisperer
30th May 2014, 11:00 PM
When I went through Campbelltown a few weeks ago I noticed a newish sign "John Ashburn" displayed on the old garage/shed beside the Black Duck hotel. Jogged my memory of the requests re your whereabouts.

Ken

Hi Ken,
I saw the same sign but I thought it was in Campbell's Creek.

Phil

Toggy
30th May 2014, 11:13 PM
Whoops, you could be right Phil. Another case of "the C.R.A.F.T." made me do it. Had a few cups lately; all the "far" type. (you work it out.):)

Ken.

Steamwhisperer
31st May 2014, 07:57 AM
Whoops, you could be right Phil. Another case of "the C.R.A.F.T." made me do it. Had a few cups lately; all the "far" type. (you work it out.):)

Ken.

Yes Ken, I am loving old (er) age.
Making a lot of 'distant' cups and have the occasional moment where I actually 'do' remember stuff. :D:-

Phil

simonl
31st May 2014, 08:57 AM
Welcome back John. I dare say it's probably good to be back too! :U

Simon

j.ashburn
31st May 2014, 09:35 AM
Hi Ken,
I saw the same sign but I thought it was in Campbell's Creek.

Phil

Hello everyone,Campbelltown it is blink twice and you miss it.
Funny enough that sign has been there for about 10 years.
Unfortunately the'' rectologist'' would be seeking out that village to insert the enema tube.
I closed the doors on the place about 8 years ago when the ''Salvos'' refused my bid too run the place as Charity Motor and Engineering works.Even offered to paint a big Red shield on the door.
Them's the breaks in a small rural village where things get broke and you expected to perform miracles on some broken item and at any ''ungodly hour''.
So the enterprise crumbles and its been a long coming to ''beat a retreat'' back into urban civilisation.
The shed has been sold a few years ago and the purchaser agreed for me to keep occupying it until past few months.one wonders how you can accumulate and move lots of junk and valuables.

Thanks go out to all the concerned members and hope this year to catch up face to face with forum members.Its great to place a face to the forum identities.
Cheers for now John

Ueee
31st May 2014, 10:48 AM
Good to have you back John.

You'll have to come for a visit to the scraping classes later in the year, should be a good gathering of guys from all over plus some old faces making sure we are all well fed!

Cheers,
Ew

Toggy
31st May 2014, 07:35 PM
Yoohoo, Phil whiskers; where are you.:D

That has to be a first; I rolled over and surrendered when I was really right. I suppose a (partly) saving grace for you is that is was originally named "Joyces Creek".

Obviously she packed up & left a long while ago and took the creek water with her. Dry as a bone.

John; sounds like small town syndrome. (possibly related to little man syndrome). Same old names in the district as the original pioneers/settlers/fugitives from the law. Can't handle newcomers and the world ends at their back fence. I had the same thing happen when I originally transferred here. What ties do you have to the district and why are you here? The look on their faces used to be priceless when I asked them how long their families had lived locally and then informed them that they were the newcomers as my mothers family were original pioneers. Got to be good fun causing the gooses to pull their heads in and generally mucking up their day.

Ken

Steamwhisperer
31st May 2014, 07:44 PM

That has to be a first; I rolled over and surrendered when I was really right. I suppose a (partly) saving grace for you is that is was originally named "Joyces Creek".
Obviously she packed up & left a long while ago and took the creek water with her. Dry as a bone.
Ken

Hi Ken,
I have been standing in the stupid corner. I'm allowed out now :-
Talk about a craft moment!
You would reckon by now I would know better

an embarrassed Phil

jmebgo
31st May 2014, 10:13 PM
Good to see you back John. I always enjoyed your posts and stories.

Joe

j.ashburn
1st June 2014, 10:55 AM

John; sounds like small town syndrome. (possibly related to little man syndrome). Same old names in the district as the original pioneers/settlers/fugitives from the law. Can't handle newcomers and the world ends at their back fence. I had the same thing happen when I originally transferred here. What ties do you have to the district and why are you here? The look on their faces used to be priceless when I asked them how long their families had lived locally and then informed them that they were the newcomers as my mothers family were original pioneers. Got to be good fun causing the gooses to pull their heads in and generally mucking up their day.

KenG day Ken,actually Campbelltown originated from the Glengower station.
Old home stead is there and blue stone barns etc out buildings. most of the creek flats Joyces were taken over by govt Aquisition of Land act in the late teens early 20's so soldier settlement blocks were distributed 40 acres ea cows poor souls all went bust as they had no knowledge of farming and had all sorts of physical and mental health issues.
most of those small allotments are consolidated into bigger lots now.
Narrow mindedness as you say seems to be a trait in most rural communities.
Am a 5th generation local but have left and come back some 20 years ago.
Family settled at Sandon in 1854 en route to Ballaarat when advised to wait as the Eureka rebellion was in full swing.Mean while dad and his 12 yo son were waiting for news for safety in Ballarat their horses were stolen,they had a lorry and horse team.Ihet left them stranded and guess there were no Police then or availability of surplus well trained team horses.
Just like getting your modern prime mover stolen today[expensive items].
Lots of pioneer stories good and bad i have but this is a metal workers forum.

Hi to Phil from Ballaarat you are excused for your senior moments like me "Oh sh te where did i leave my coffee cup and fags''
''Old timers'' they say is you meet new friends every day
Cheers one and all John.

j