PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast / teknatool jaw compatibility

Evanism
31st May 2014, 06:33 PM
Anyone know if the jaws from teknatool and woodfast chucks are usable on each others chucks?

I.e. are the bolt patterns the same?

artme
31st May 2014, 09:06 PM
Evan, you might want to read my thread on compatability!!

Mobyturns
1st June 2014, 09:03 AM
Jaw compatibility is an area where near enough is not good enough imo. The matching of hole position, diameters, countersink size etc is very important and so is matching of the back of the jaws with the jaw slides in the chuck body. The aligning annular rings must also match.

Seemingly innocent "good ideas" like reaming out hole sizes or varying the countersinking of holes to slightly "shift" holes or to accept larger diameter cap screws or wider head sizes is best left to experienced machinists. Not only do you affect the integrity of the design and perhaps its safety, but you also introduce potential run-out issues. There is considerable stress on cap crews and jaw sets in use.

artme
1st June 2014, 09:51 AM
Exactly Mobyturns!!!

Talking to Enzo from Vermec Was the best thing I could have done in relation to this.

Evanism
1st June 2014, 12:43 PM
I read Artmes' thread that he pointed to before I posted.

Since I'm not a lawyer, I was hoping for a simple answer like "yes" or "no".

I love my tekna but I've read so much about the woodie. They are also having a special and the new ones have replaceable nuts. I might have to downsize my accommodation, so if I get rid of the big Cougar for a woodfast mini variable, the nut option would be invaluable (though they are both 30x3.5, but it leaves the options open).

If it isn't, it isn't. I can't risk another accident. My face is only just regaining its regular irregular lumpiness after the last adventure.

Jim Carroll
1st June 2014, 07:56 PM
Stick to either Vicmarc or Technatool for your choice of chucks and you will have a larger range of jaws to choose from.

The moment you go to any of the other asian brands you are limited to what you can get and even modifying the jaws is a recipe for disaster.

Sell of all the ones you dont want and stick to one brand

Vicmarc is the prefered choice.