PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

Martsmodels
20th June 2005, 01:55 AM
Hi all - I'm new to this medium although I have dabbled in it a long time ago.
In this case I'm using marquetry to detail the dashboard and door cappings of a car model. I have obtained the veneer some of which is straight cut grain and some burr. However the burr is very uneven and looks warped - I cannot see even one square inch which is flat. How do I overcome this? Or do I send it back?

Any help appreciated - thanks

Martin

http://martsmodels.photosite.com/

powderpost
20th June 2005, 11:19 PM
G'day Martin, the burl veneer is seldom nice and flat. This is caused by the drying process of the very irregular grain. Normally this does not create a problem. I am assuming you are gluing to a curved surface. Immediately prior to gluing up, very lightly spray the veneer with a very fine mist spray of water. Use a bag of fine sand as a caul and press the job into the bag of sand. Would suggest you do a dummy run with a similar shape and some cheap veneer first.
Jim

Martsmodels
21st June 2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks Jim - I somehow couldn't imagine the supplier putting something that they knew to be faulty in the package so your explanation of the burr makes sense now. There will be a slight curve and as the dashboard is only about 4 inches long there's no problem of wastage - I have about 2 square feet of the darned stuff!! Enough for a lifetime!

Hopefully it should look something like the att pic.

Will keep you posted. Martin

steve54123alt
21st June 2005, 11:47 AM
I find the sand packing difficult to get my head around, what i have done in the past in the day before you want to glue the veneer is to spray with water and place in a press, (two flat boards will do, place paper on either side to absorb some water and clamp) allow to dry over night and fingers crossed you will have a flater burl then before.

Martsmodels
21st June 2005, 11:44 PM
OK Steve - thanks for that. It's always nice to have an alternate strategy.

Cheers - Martin

powderpost
21st June 2005, 11:59 PM
I find the sand packing difficult to get my head around, what i have done in the past in the day before you want to glue the veneer is to spray with water and place in a press, (two flat boards will do, place paper on either side to absorb some water and clamp) allow to dry over night and fingers crossed you will have a flater burl then before.Steve, I think we are talking about two different processes. What you are recommending is fine for preparing veneer for flat work. I use pieces of burl veneer as inserts into the top of boxes and don't worry about trying to flatten the veneer as you have suggested. What I was suggesting was for gluing onto a curved surface, where a flat caul (or board) would not work because the job is curved, requuiring a curved caul instead of a flat board. By moistening the veneer immediately before gluing, will make the veneer more pliable and less likely to crack. Make sure you use plain paper, I have had the newsprint on the veneer... in reverse. I hope this all makes sense to you.
Jim

steve54123alt
22nd June 2005, 10:41 AM
yes it does... now;)
I've not done much curved work but where i have i started with flat veneer, glued into place and used tape to hold it's position.

Hope powerpost helped martin.

Cheers

Jag Nut
3rd October 2006, 11:05 PM
Hi all - I'm also trying to re-build a wooden dash - Does anybody know where I can get a length of Burr Veneer? - The original I'm replacing is Walnut, but I'd consider using a dark gum to give it a bit of Aussie flavour.
I need about 140cm x 20 or 30cm

Wild Dingo
4th October 2006, 03:54 AM
In this case... veneers... ebay is your friend :cool:

Of course if you need a whole mess of the stuff go via the US site and ask the seller first if they send to Aussie some dont and tell you so some dont and whack such a extreme postage and packaging price on it that its just not viable but then theres the blokes that do and do a fair price... pm me if you need a direct contact person who deals on the US ebay and services Aussie

If however all you need is a small amount and wont require any more then Aussie ebay could be a viable option... I say could simply because I have found Aussie ebay way to expensive for the small amounts they offer when it comes to veneers... but thats just me ;)

When I buy veneer I want a shyteload for the money I pay only the US site offers this :rolleyes: :cool:

But theres probably a seller close to your area that deals direct someone may be able to point you to someone nearby

And from me to powerpost for his hints on curving veneer! Cheers I was wondering how I was gonna get around that problem!! :cool:

glock40sw
4th October 2006, 08:22 AM
G'day Jag Nut.
Why not give Big River Timbers at Grafton a call.
They peel their own veneer to make plywood.
It is all Eastern Australian hardwood.