PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Safety

Drillit
2nd June 2014, 11:45 AM
I thought I would share a recent experience that demonstrates that no matter how careful you are it is so
easy to come undone in a big way. I bought a Technatool 1000 to do up view selling. I did that and set it
up on a sturdy bench well bolted. It operated well, no vibrations and I made a cover for the motor/belt. I decided
to finish some grinding my last chisel and let the lathe run on the lowest speed for a few minutes (185 rpm's) before I
ran the lathe through the belt changes for the last time. I finished the grinding and fortunately I had my goggles, noise
suppression gear and gloves on. I returned to the lathe (gear on), turned off the lathe with my right hand and put my left hand
on the brake wheel which was wooden and fitted to a faceplate with a left hand thread. Bang - the wooden wheel snapped
in two and flew onto my goggles, bounced off and hit me on the left forehead (temple region). Remember I had turned off the
lathe. It gave me a decent cut above my eye and left me (as it developed) with deep bruising of the forehead bone and two impressive black eyes and further
bruising to parts of the face below the eyes. Fortunately, it didn't knock me out and I was able to clean myself up and put ice on the
injury. I could not see out of left eye for 3 days. I was home alone at the time and no vehicle!!. Went to the GP no concussion or long-term damage. I inspected the hand-wheel.
It was made in the usual way and I have seen and used these before on other lathes without incident. It was held on the faceplate with
3 screws - there were only 3 suitable screw holes. In hindsight I think it would have been preferable to use 3 bolts and to countersink them
into the hand-wheel for added security. This process might have prevented the handle from flying off the handle if it split. I checked our Leady
lathe at the woodturning group - same result - 3 screws into wooden brake-wheel. I am sure there are many more set-up the same way. So a few
things - (1) use appropriate safety gear - this for sure saved me from a different outcome, even if it was goggles and not a full faceshield. (2) - if you
use a wooden home made brake wheel, please check and consider using a different system of holding, i.e bolts vs. screws. I have not replaced the
brake wheel (which came with the lathe) and have left the faceplate on which has a left hand thread. (3) If you are on blood thinners (like say warfarin)
be very careful because of the bruising. This is the advice of my GP as I am not on this drug. I know that we have all had incidents, but you
can never be too careful. :cool: Drillit.

orraloon
2nd June 2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks for posting that. I had been toying with the idea of a wooden hand wheel for my lathe but you have given me second thoughts. I can live with the couple of seconds it runs on after shut down. I guess wood is always a questionable material as it can develop cracks without warning. Glad to hear there was no serious injury.
Regards
John

pommyphil
2nd June 2014, 12:51 PM
Maybe ply would be safer Phil

chambezio
2nd June 2014, 01:07 PM
A timely reminder, indeed. PPE is something I don't use often enough. Yesterday I had a few spare minutes before we had to drive to a mate's place for lunch. I was waiting for the wife to come from the house so I fired up the thicknesser to run some timber through for a little job for the daughter. There were 6 pieces. Half way through the operation I realized I wasn't wearing earmuffs. I find I do that a lot...start an operation then find I can't reach the pushstick or should have a dust mask on. I know its mainly laziness and impatients. But as everyone can attest its only a matter of time before I get a bite on the bum for my lack of PPE

turnerted
2nd June 2014, 05:35 PM
I'll be checking my wooden handwheel tomorrow.Glad your injuries were'nt more serious .
Ted

chuck1
2nd June 2014, 06:01 PM
Good to hear no permanent damage! My handwheel is ply and screws straight onto the the shaft, previous owner of my leady has solid timber screwed to a pulley, might look into fixing it up!
In regards to thicknesser and ear muffs they live on the switch of the thicknesser!
Try to think through the task before doing it so push sticks and ppe is all in place before starting task. I know at work we get yelled over P.A for no eye protection etc!

issatree
2nd June 2014, 06:07 PM
Hi All,
Mine is a little different, as I had a Friend, many years ago, made a 3in. LH Thread Hand Wheel, for me, Magnificent.
I had to mark it though as I get a bit mixed as to which way to take it off, which I have to do every so often to Regrease the Bearings on " The Tough ".
Also have a small steel wheel on the little Ledacraft.
I have only a Smallish Hand, & I have seen some Monsters of Hand Wheels, close to 5in. & sometimes wonder if they are able to use them.

Mobyturns
19th June 2014, 10:17 PM
Sorry to hear of your injury but very relieved to hear your injuries weren't more serious and that you are making a good recovery.

Now a simple question - is it a hand wheel or hand brake?

Not being a smart here either. My understanding is that the intended purpose of the "hand wheel" is to permit easy and safe hand rotation, of a bowl or spindle blank to check clearances, imperfections etc; or finished piece to inspect for sanding marks etc; to assist with indexing operations.

We impatiently and inappropriately use it as a "hand brake" and risk friction burns and other injuries to hands if the wooden wheel de-laminates or splits. I notice you said you had gloves on after grinding - more than likely they saved you from a serious hand injury.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Paul39
20th June 2014, 03:12 AM
Without any close calls or injuries, from the start I had the attitude of; DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING MOVING!!

That spindle looks pretty smooth at 1400 rpm, but when lathe is shut off after using the roughing gouge, the furry spindle gives one pause for thought.

A bowl with an interrupted cut on the rim can give one a really good whack. I have gotten over the idea of holding sand paper in my hand on those.

One of these with the bristles cut off and sandpaper mounted with double sided foam tape works nicely:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31s77tdfnuL._SY300_.jpg