PDA

View Full Version : Coughed up a lung lately?

Eastie
20th June 2005, 12:45 PM
Flicking through some OHS news stuff recently I came across this in relation to smoking and wood dust exposure:

"Wood dust was designated as a human carcinogen based on increased sinus and nasal cancer rates among exposed workers," Dr. George L. Delclos and colleagues from the University of Texas, Houston, point out in the American Journal of Industrial Medicine. "However, data on an association with lung cancer have been inconclusive."
In a study of 1368 lung cancer patients and 1192 cancer-free adults, the researchers assessed wood dust exposure based on employment in wood dust-related occupations and industries and self-reported regular exposure to wood dust for at least a year.

In total, 262 subjects were categorized as having been exposed to wood dust. The investigators found that the risk of lung cancer was three times higher for subjects involved in wood dust-related occupations and industries. For all categories of wood-dust exposure, the risk was increased by 60 percent compared with no exposure.

The team notes that there appears to be a biologic interaction between wood dust exposure and cigarette smoking.

Specifically, the risk of lung cancer was increased by 57 percent with wood dust exposure in absence of smoking, by 71 percent for smoking in the absence of wood dust exposure, and by 187 percent for individuals who were exposed to both smoking and wood dust." (source: Reuters Health).

Iain
20th June 2005, 02:29 PM
So what's the risk if you smoke sawdust? :rolleyes:

JDarvall
20th June 2005, 03:03 PM
Theres a good a reason behind abandoning power tools and sticking to hand tools.........you can't get wood shavings stuck in your lungs..........

Eastie
20th June 2005, 03:13 PM
A bag of drum would definitely last longer - and you could easily adjust the flavor.....

Prince Charles
21st June 2005, 08:25 PM
More good reasons to get the servants to all the bad chores.

Charles

DanP
21st June 2005, 11:07 PM
187% :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm gunna have to give up wood working!!!

Dan

ozwinner
21st June 2005, 11:10 PM
187% :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm gunna have to give up wood working!!!

Dan
I read the post, but I didnt read it.
Just how do you get 187%??

Al :confused:

kiwigeo
21st June 2005, 11:41 PM

You end up with a complexion the same colour as a smoked cod.