smiife
9th June 2014, 07:51 PM
Hi guys,
I started trying to make one of these bowls
months ago, after about 6 attempts,, I finally
came up with this !,,,,,,!
I think the timber is myrtle i got from tassie
can, t say i am too happy with the "staining"
marks on it, or is it the beginings of splating?
not too sure anyways it is what it is:doh:
Firstly all my learning efforts!!:o
any comments and advice welcomed

dr4g0nfly
10th June 2014, 06:09 AM
Looks like a case of practice makes perfect.

Nice group of winged bowls.

chuck1
10th June 2014, 06:41 AM
Looks like a great summer job Mr smiife! Do you glue sacrificial blocks on? Very impressive!

smiife
10th June 2014, 08:22 PM
Looks like a case of practice makes perfect.

Nice group of winged bowls.

Hi dr4g0nfly,
They sure are tough to get right, lots of practice
like you say,, the photo of the group were all the
rejects, broken, wrong shape, and just crap!
Thanks for your comments

Looks like a great summer job Mr smiife! Do you glue sacrificial blocks on? Very impressive!

Hi chuckie,
Yeah, It has been a bit of a long learning curve
No I didn, t use any blocks, but on a couple of the
"rejects" I did turn a round bowl and then cut off
the sides, but the shape was all wrong, as you can
see!! In the first couple of photos
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated

Christos
10th June 2014, 09:09 PM
I am still on the learning curve with the winged bowls. And you seem to have thinner walls then I got to. :2tsup:

Hermit
10th June 2014, 11:14 PM
Looking good Michael.:2tsup:
To my mind, just getting to the end of a winged bowl is a feat in itself. Nice thin wings, too. Well done.

I'm still too scared to try one, but I'll eventually give it a go when I build a bit more confidence.

dougturner
10th June 2014, 11:37 PM
smiife I haven't turned too many of these bowls, but the first one I did from a full circular blank, and marked the curved sides and then cut them off using a fine blade on my bandsaw. To get the curve, I used a large Tupperware bowl on the piece, and just moved it about until I was happy with the curve. Others I have done without the full round blank, and just turned them at as high a speed as (I thought) was safe, to nullify the hit, miss, hit effect. I hope the photos show what I am talking about. This piece is from the wood of the Walnut nut tree. Much like Aust Red Cedar. Doug. 316321316324316323316322:U

smiife
11th June 2014, 08:58 PM
I am still on the learning curve with the winged bowls. And you seem to have thinner walls then I got to. :2tsup:

Hi christos,
Just keep practicing, as you can see I had plenty of disasters
you will get there eventually

Looking good Michael.:2tsup:
To my mind, just getting to the end of a winged bowl is a feat in itself. Nice thin wings, too. Well done.

I'm still too scared to try one, but I'll eventually give it a go when I build a bit more confidence.

Hi hermit,
Thanks for your comments, very much appreciated

smiife I haven't turned too many of these bowls, but the first one I did from a full circular blank, and marked the curved sides and then cut them off using a fine blade on my bandsaw. To get the curve, I used a large Tupperware bowl on the piece, and just moved it about until I was happy with the curve. Others I have done without the full round blank, and just turned them at as high a speed as (I thought) was safe, to nullify the hit, miss, hit effect. I hope the photos show what I am talking about. This piece is from the wood of the Walnut nut tree. Much like Aust Red Cedar. Doug. 316321316324316323316322:U

Hi doug,
I understand how you have done yours, I have done
a few like that , but I didn, t like the roundness of the
bowl, I wanted a flatter looking bowl,,,,, each to there
own I suppose, yours looks very well finished and I
like the little lid and finial, well done!
Thanks for your comments too.!!