PDA

View Full Version : Treated timber

Woodturner101
9th June 2014, 09:03 PM
Is treated timber safe to turn? I helped pull down my grandparents old fence on the weekend and I got about 20 100x100mm treated hardwood posts. The posts are about 23 years old.

Pat
9th June 2014, 09:33 PM
Wt, what are they treated with? How deep did the "treatment" penetrate? Do you want to take the risk?

Me, personally, will not turn any treated timber. Too much risk involved for my liking. Depending on when and what treatment the timber got, can be cancer causing, poisonous or plain old deadly.

Woodturner101
9th June 2014, 09:40 PM
I don't know what it was treated with but it only looks about 1-2mm deep. I would have thought that after such a long time the treatment would lose its effect. I might just wear a mask and a respirator and plane off the outside layer.

orraloon
9th June 2014, 10:00 PM
Can you ask what was put on the wood. It does not sound like factory treatment but you cant take chances either. Hardwood fence timber usually came untreated in those days so whatever is on them is probably home done. Best to know what it is before you start however. Cutting back to clean wood would be a good start but be aware of the risk. Sawing off may cause less airbourne mess than a power planer.
Regards
John

Mobyturns
10th June 2014, 09:30 AM
If its an old fence it could be treated with Creosote - nasty! http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=64&tid=18