PDA

View Full Version : Timber identification

RobHowarth
1st August 2000, 03:05 PM
I would appreciate it if there is anyone out there who can share a simple way of telling undressed Karri from Jarrah. I recently came upon a large number of 3X2's which are either Jarrah or Karri and I need to be able to identify them. White ants love Karri apparently but they don't like jarrah at all. As I want to use them to extend my workshop I need to know.

------------------

ubeaut
2nd August 2000, 01:38 AM
There is a way of telling by taking a sliver of the timber and burning it. I think one burns to a black ash and the other white. Something like this. It is about 30 years since I was told of this denfification process and I tend to uffer from C.R.A.F.T. (Can't Remember A F#@%ing Thing) these days so maybe someone from WA can help fill in the details.

I have a feeling that it is the Karri that burns white.

Sorry to be only a part help, but it is a starting point.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

John Saxton
2nd August 2000, 02:29 AM
G,day Rob Some of the main differences between Jarrah and Karri are that 1.Jarrah has a lighter ADD(AIR DRY DENSITY)820kg/M3 to Karri which has an ADD of 900kg/M3.
2.Karri heartwood is pink to reddish brown whilst Jarrah heartwood is dark brown.3.The sapwood on Karri is distinctly paler and may vary in width from 50-150mm wide.
4.Karri isn't an easy timber to dress, a plane blade angle may be needed to be reduced to as little as 15 degrees to achieve some satisfaction.Whereas Jarrah retrospectively finishes easily off the tool.
5.Karri dosen't take a paint finish well and is difficult in taking preservatives but is noted for it's stability in construction, whereas Jarrah can continue to move and is more susceptible to humidity.
These are just a few small points that I hope may be of some assistance to you.White ants will certainly attack Jarrah if the conditions are right.I have seen many instances of this in the forests whilst collecting firewood.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 02 August 2000).]

barrysumpter
24th September 2000, 07:43 PM
How do you pronounce Jarrah and Karri.

Jarrah (Jar uh) ? (Jair uh) ?
Karri (car ee) ? (cow ree) ?

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

John Saxton
24th September 2000, 07:53 PM
G,day bazza,Jarrah normally similar to barra(Abreviated for Barramundi)and Karri similar to CARRY.
The jarrah pronunciation varies moreso with differing dialects but the Karri(carry)is distinct from that of Kauri(cow-rie)
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

barrysumpter
25th September 2000, 08:13 AM
Yep, thanks Johno,

Jair uh

care ee

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Iain
25th September 2000, 01:56 PM
Another way to ID jarrah is to look for the Bunnings stamp on the end of the plank!
They have the monopoly don't they?
I recall when I lived in WA (mid 60's) I wanted to make a stereo cabinet out of jarrah and I was howled down and told it was only good for orange crates and firewood.
The price of it here is expensive as Barry has probably found out but there is a supplier in Ferntree Gully who is actually cheaper than BUnnings (who I might add charge the same for KD as Jarrah, lower prices are just the beginning!!!).
Sorry, I am digressing, I don't know the difference between the two but I think it has been addressed.

barrysumpter
28th September 2000, 02:34 PM
Iain,
Shame on you! You should know better than to tease the animals with a cheap Jarra supplier without telling us the name. Off to your room and no playing with your woodworking toys. And when you decide to tell us the name then you can come out.

Baz

Jeez! I'm turning into my mother. ;-)

Iain
28th September 2000, 05:12 PM
Sorry, just found them again
Ferntree Gully Timber
918 Burwood Hwy
Ferntree Gully
Tel 9758 3444
Fax 9758 1432

They reckon the Jarrah is nearly as good as pine
http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/rolleyes.gif

RFNK
2nd October 2000, 08:58 PM
What a lot of fuss over something so simple! Just put a bit of your wood on the termites' nest and see what they think. If they gobble it up, it's karri. If they spit it out and frown and swear, it's jarrah.

barrysumpter
3rd October 2000, 09:17 AM
Excellent Idea!

I was wandering what I should do with those termites in my wood shop.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer