PDA

View Full Version : Some shed time

chuck1
13th June 2014, 06:37 PM
Did some turning this afternoon a quick bowl out of snappy gum burl 175 dia and 70 deep. And a lamp out of railway sleeper might be ironbark the blank was 340 long 200 by 90 , also turned a few pens.
Thanks for looking any C & C welcome
sorry about the photo angle looked right on my phone but when up loaded it does its own thing!

Christos
13th June 2014, 06:56 PM
The yellow on the burl is quite striking.

What did you finish the lamp with?

Hermit
13th June 2014, 11:33 PM
That's a week's work for me. What finish did you use?

You made good use of that sleeper, Charlie. It looks fantastic as a lamp. The bowl looks pretty good, too. :2tsup:

SNAFU11
14th June 2014, 06:38 AM
Bloody excellent Chuck...:2tsup:

Mick!!!

chuck1
14th June 2014, 08:09 AM
The bowl has one coat of Scandinavian oil the lamp has 3 coats of shellac a 2 pound cut!

smiife
15th June 2014, 03:55 PM
Hi chuckie,
Nice afternoons work !
Both look really good , well done,
My phone does the same thing,
I think it has something to do with the screen
when you can turn the phone around and the
screen turns too! hope that makes sense:no:
I just use my tablet to take photos and no
problems:U

John K
16th June 2014, 11:57 PM
Did some turning this afternoon a quick bowl out of snappy gum burl 175 dia and 70 deep. And a lamp out of railway sleeper might be ironbark the blank was 340 long 200 by 90 , also turned a few pens.
sorry about the photo angle looked right on my phone but when up loaded it does its own thing!
Would have been tough doing the initial cuts on the sleeper, well done, like the 2lb cut finish

dr4g0nfly
20th June 2014, 06:47 PM
Some people see an old weathered post and see firewood! I always find it amazing just what wonderful timber was used for humble purposes in years gone by. That lamp base would grace any table.

chuck1
20th June 2014, 08:39 PM
Some people see an old weathered post and see firewood! I always find it amazing just what wonderful timber was used for humble purposes in years gone by. That lamp base would grace any table.

Some have been blocked up for firewood! But convinced parent to save what's left to turn! Some are 100 yrs old! And not many left!

Faulko
22nd June 2014, 12:58 PM

Really like the lamp. I'm still learning, and managed to grab a few old fence posts from a knockdown near me, and now you've got me thinking.....

forgive my ignorance, but what the 2l pound cut you mentioned for the after the shellac finish?

cheers

chuck1
22nd June 2014, 02:36 PM
No need to be forgiven! I'm new to all things for shellac too! The 2 pound cut refers to the mixture of shellac and metho I'm not right up on the science behind it.
my mate made it up, I think it was a cup of shellac flakes and add metho so the liquid is just over the the flakes and after it has dissolved, if it's still thick add a dash more metho!
Some will disagree on mixtures but this seems to work for me.
again I'm new to shellac so there is different mixes.