PDA

View Full Version : Coffee tamper take 2

bassmansimon
14th June 2014, 06:08 PM
I recently upgraded to a new espresso machine, which warranted a really nice quality tamper. If you're serious about (home) espresso, I can't recommend Pullman tampers highly enough. You send your filter baskets to them, and they will make you a custom tamper to fit EXACTLY into your baskets. I wanted to turn my own handle, and they were more than happy to just make me the base and send it with the connecting screw so I could turn my own handle.

Take 1 was made from a piece of Redgum burl. Not a bad attempt overall I think, but while I do enjoy the feel of timber, it didn't really fit with the nice new red and silver shiny new coffee machine. Here enters Ian from Wicked Turnings, who came to the rescue with making me a custom silver and red resin pour, for me to create Take 2 attached. Wet sanded to 600 grit, then polished with micro mesh. I love using it, and the colours that Ian created match the machine really well.

Simon.

artme
14th June 2014, 07:28 PM
Like 'em both!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Hermit
14th June 2014, 10:25 PM
Great job, and that colour really does match the machine, doesn't it?

chuck1
14th June 2014, 11:02 PM
Very spiffy! Love a coffee in the morning!

smiife
15th June 2014, 05:46 PM
Hi simon,
Both look good to me!
Some people take there coffee very seriously
don, t they:roll:...............i just get mine out of the
jar!!!!!!!!!!:doh:

bassmansimon
15th June 2014, 05:53 PM
Guilty as charged

Pat
15th June 2014, 06:23 PM
Simon, here's my take on a Coffee Tamp.

Details: Tamp : Stainless Steel 52mm diameter flat, from Coffee Complements (http://www.coffeecomplements.com/)
Timber: Tasmanian Myrtle, tapped to accept all thread.
Fixing: 3/8 Allthread, loctite into both the timber and tamp
Finish: Sanded to 1200, EEE & Shellawax Glow

Fun little project, 2 prototype prior to the finished product. 1 I drilled thru the blank:doh: and the other one. I keep stuffing the rim of the handle.:~

bassmansimon
15th June 2014, 09:53 PM
Hi Pat the final thing looks good

BobL
16th June 2014, 10:17 AM
Here are my tampers
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96753&d=1234922751
The second from the left (including the handle) is Pullman with a flat base, the other bases I obtained from Five Senses coffee and have convex bases
From the left; sandalwood, Jarrah, spalted pear, blackbody/cork and pine.
The asymmetric shaped ones are made to fit my hand in an almost vertical manner so there is less wrist twisting needed compared to a conventional handle.

My day-to-day user is the spalted pear.

Christos
16th June 2014, 01:15 PM
I prefer the red and silver one. Very spiffy looking tamper.