PDA

View Full Version : router table VS "shaper"

s.p.witt
21st June 2005, 09:23 AM
Hello all, this is my first post and I am fairly new to woodworking. I was wondering what the major difference is between a router table and a Shaper or in other words advatages and disadvantages of each and why choose one over the other? I don't really see any difference except for the fixed motor in a shaper. Which is more versitille? Thanks in advance.

dazzler
21st June 2005, 02:20 PM
Hello all, this is my first post and I am fairly new to woodworking. I was wondering what the major difference is between a router table and a Shaper or in other words advatages and disadvantages of each and why choose one over the other? I don't really see any difference except for the fixed motor in a shaper. Which is more versitille? Thanks in advance.
I think the main difference is that a shaper is used more for moulding using cutters (blades) wheras router tables are more for use with router bits.

cheers

dazzler

aussiecolector
21st June 2005, 03:01 PM
Spindle moulders as they are called here run slower therefore are better suited to larger cutters to keep cutting speed up.

Ashore
21st June 2005, 03:20 PM
The more expensive spindle moulders can be tilted angled to cut a beval and are reversablethough I dont know why they are reversable can't see what you could do in reverse?

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

soundman
22nd June 2005, 12:37 AM
This one was discussed at length a couple of months ago do a couple of searches & you will see the full discussion.

in short
Spindle moulders are a great thing, but they don't spinn fast enough for most router bits 8000 or 10 000 tops.
If you can justify the expense to buy the tooling and the machine they make a router in a table look realy sad.
But for most people a router in a table is the best choice.
cheers

boban
22nd June 2005, 03:29 AM
Soundman sums it up well.

A spindle moulder eats wood without chewing, while a router must chew..

QldWoodie
22nd June 2005, 10:51 AM
If you have the dollars and think you'll be into woodworking for the long haul, then you should seriously consider a spindle shaper (spindle moulder in Australia). Check out this thread: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=12833
Qw

aussiecolector
24th June 2005, 02:08 PM
The more expensive spindle moulders can be tilted angled to cut a beval and are reversablethough I dont know why they are reversable can't see what you could do in reverse?

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

I have reversed mine so I can use the cutters upsidedown.