PDA

View Full Version : What am I and where can I pick up some replacement bits

wilkeswood
15th June 2014, 07:03 PM
Hi all,
My name is Ash, I've just bought this beautiful lathe from a family that had no idea what it was and it had been sitting in their dads shed unused for 15 years, So after I picked it up it took a good 3 days greasing it up, un-seizing etc etc. now I have a wonderful lathe that cost me 300 with tons of chisels and chucks and all sorts of half done projects which I am completely stoked at getting. Now I am literally teaching myself how to use it via books and the all mighty you tube…. but today the weld that holds the handle in the tailstock snapped and now I can't move my tail stock in and out. I researched tailstocks but as I have no idea what make and model this baby is I'm having no luck. The one thing I know about it is that it takes a #2 Morse Taper (encyclopedia of Lathe's here)

Any help Would be greatly appreciated

chuck1
15th June 2014, 08:08 PM
Looks like the casting has broken! You might have to see if it can be Re machined? Looks like an old beast! And parts might be hard to source sorry to say! Hope I'm wrong!

woolclasser
15th June 2014, 08:23 PM
Hi wilkeswood, your lathe is a old moreton. originally made in the early 1980's in the wynnum area of brisbane and later made at helidon near toowoomba. they are no longer made so it may be difficult to obtain parts for repair.
jim

Mobyturns
16th June 2014, 06:04 AM
There would be plenty of these old machines about - its just finding one that's the problem. Could try old machinery dealers may be scrapies - but with China's insatiable demand for scrap iron probably now all gone.

Modifying & machining the failed handwheel will probably cost more than you paid for the lot, but there could be a work around as some of the older lathes had a lever / plunge quill affair, perhaps even fashion something up like the Leady bowl lathe arrangement? Will still require a machinists assistance though.

Paul39
16th June 2014, 06:15 AM
Wilkeswood,

Take the tail stock and the broken bits to an engineering shop - we call them machinists, machine shop - to see what can be done. Try to get a recommendation, as there are good, bad, and indifferent machinists.

When you ask, tell them can be done in two weeks or so and you will pay in cash. That way if someone in the shop wanted to do a bit extra at night, or it can be worked in between regular work, it may not cost the shop rate.

Some years ago I took a chuck to my local machine shop and had it drilled and threaded on the above basis. I was charged $20. The owner did it on a Sunday between paperwork. Most places would not turn on the shop lights for $20.

Most machinists have the attitude of "if a man made this, I can repair / remake this". It may not be economically reasonable to do so.

Possibly or Hughie who post here may have some ideas. There is another person here who's name escapes me who restores old Woodfast lathes to better than new.

Christos
16th June 2014, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the forum. Can not help with your question/problem but do want to say nice going on the projects you have created.

Ron Rutter
16th June 2014, 03:11 PM
Ash. It looks like you tried to force the wheel with the tail stock locked. The keeper plate is 2 piece so you may be able to machine a new groove for it in the handwheel hub & reinstall. Ron.

wilkeswood
20th June 2014, 06:01 AM
Ash. It looks like you tried to force the wheel with the tail stock locked. The keeper plate is 2 piece so you may be able to machine a new groove for it in the handwheel hub & reinstall. Ron.

Yeah I made up an epoxy pile of scrap bits that I wanted to experiment with turning and to get the teeth to bite into the epoxy i gave it some curry when placing it on the lathe rather than doing the proper thing and pre-cutting grooves in for the teeth. now I'm paying the price like a massive wanker!!!

Ironwood
20th June 2014, 08:55 AM
It doesnt look like there was much metal between the groove and the threads.

I think the handwheel could be chucked up on a metal lathe and the groove re-cut.

Maybe if you put a thread up on the metalwork forum, you might get one of the guys on there to put his hand up to have a look at it.

Treecycle
20th June 2014, 11:34 AM
Recutting the groove in the handwheel would be a simple task for any Engineering shop, or a friend who has access to a metal lathe. By the time the groove is machined in, there is not a lot of meat left before you get down to the thread, hence the weakness.

Evanism
21st June 2014, 05:12 PM
Ueee here in Canberra has a machine shop from hell. Post is to him and he can do anything. Ill email you or IM.

E