PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions

artme
16th June 2014, 01:40 PM
I have never had this problem before so I need a little help please.

I am currently trying to finish a biscuit barrel I have turned from some ancient and really dry eucalypt and am having trouble with sanding out some fine sanding marks.

I have resorted to going back through the grades but I just cannot remove some marks. Any Suggestions??

Secondly on the same piece I need to fill in some spots where there are some minor cracks and aslo where some dried gum has fallen from the veins. What is the best epoxy to use and how do I colour it?

I only need a small quantity of epoxy so perhaps a small Araldite purchase from the big green rabbit hutch will do if it is suitable.

Many thanks, artme.

pommyphil
16th June 2014, 04:21 PM
If you stop the lathe after each grit and lightly sand WITH the grain, then on to the next grit...... often helps. I use dried coffee grounds with Araldite for "gum veins" Phil

artme
16th June 2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks Phil. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I had tried that with the grain bit but nothing seems to work with total effect.

chuck1
16th June 2014, 05:28 PM
I have a 50mm sanding disc that goes in the drill and use it with the lathe on! Works well at removing scratches! With sap pockets I have been using ebony putty with a dash of pva mixed in!

Christos
17th June 2014, 10:04 AM
In regards to sanding can you slow the lathe speed down a little to what it is now?

I have only had one piece cause me trouble when sanding and i ended up doing it by hand. :~ You can imagination how slow that was. :o

BlackbuttWA
17th June 2014, 10:53 AM
What is the highest grit sanding paper you are using ?
Do you use a " foam" pad under the paper when sanding ?

I agree with sanding with the grain after each grade.

I would also suggest using a Sanding Sealer after final sanding, then use 0000 wire wool to finish off.
Could also try EEE as this is great at removing fine sanding marks.

HTH
Col

Drillit
18th June 2014, 10:51 AM
I have never had this problem before so I need a little help please.

I am currently trying to finish a biscuit barrel I have turned from some ancient and really dry eucalypt and am having trouble with sanding out some fine sanding marks.

I have resorted to going back through the grades but I just cannot remove some marks. Any Suggestions??

Secondly on the same piece I need to fill in some spots where there are some minor cracks and aslo where some dried gum has fallen from the veins. What is the best epoxy to use and how do I colour it?

I only need a small quantity of epoxy so perhaps a small Araldite purchase from the big green rabbit hutch will do if it is suitable.

Many thanks, artme.

Hello artme,
Could I suggest:-
1. with the cracks wipe over with cotton bud and lemon oil . This will remove any wick from CA gap filling glue. Apply CA & use accelerator.
2. with marks - wipe over with damp cloth to lift nap. Then sand using sander on electric drill - 120-180-240-320. Then wipe over again, dry and sand with 320.
Hope it helps. Drillit