PDA

View Full Version : Bowl turning setup for an old lathe

rtyuiop
16th June 2014, 03:21 PM
Hi all,

Looking to get back into turning after not doing any for 10 years or so (and I wasn't very experienced back then either!). Haven't had a workshop in a while, but just moved to a house instead of a townhouse and have space again!

There's an old Craftmaster CWL-1000S in the workshop coming down from a couple of generations of family. It's certainly not the best machine ever built, but I believe it's still working... My aim for now is to work my way up to turning simple bowls, plates, and cups etc., and then possibly look at replacing the lathe if I'm still keen!

I'm looking for suggestions on the best options for centres and chucks I could go out and buy now to get me going while hopefully still being useful if I decide to upgrade the lathe.

Any opinions gratefully received! I think this:

http://www.clarkeservice.co.uk/manuals/wood_lathes/cwl1000.pdf

is the machine in question, under a different badge of course.

Cheers,

Danny

artme
16th June 2014, 04:45 PM
I borrowed one of those and came to the conclusion that it was OK for spindle work but apart from that was best
tied to a rope and used as a boat anchor.

There are no chucks I know of that will fit that lathe. I think the headstock spur is a permanent fixture.

Even if a chuck could be fitted the bearings would not stand the load.

Sturdee
16th June 2014, 05:09 PM
I think the headstock spur is a permanent fixture.

Artme, I agree with your comments about the lathe, except that the headstock spur can be unscrewed and a face plate attached as per the instructions in the link provided.

Thus any chuck can be attached with the right insert with thread 3/4” x 16TPI (UNF). I'm sure that Vermec has those available.

Then when he upgrades all he has to do is get a new insert.

Peter.

Tangoman
16th June 2014, 06:05 PM
Mate,

I had one of those as my first lathe, it was good as a starter lathe but makes a much better boat anchor ! LOL.

Seriously, use it as best you can, don't spend money on it or bits for it, save a few dollars up and look around at low cost replacements, a small lathe can be had for 300 bucks.

regards,
Cam

rtyuiop
16th June 2014, 09:13 PM
Many thanks guys! That sounds like pretty much what I expected. I'll investigate what I can do without spending much money on anything specific to this lathe.

My pop was able to overcome slightly iffy tools like this one with actual talent and experience, but I don't think I can get away with that ;) !

Danny

artme
16th June 2014, 10:47 PM
Danny, I don't know where you live in Brisbane but joining a club would be a good idea.

Queensland Woodturners' Society at Greenslopes is a good club.

Bayside Woodcrafters at - I think- Manly or Wynum has a good set up also.

Just actually read the manual!! The manual is worth more than the lathe!!!!:oo:

DaveTTC
16th June 2014, 10:52 PM
If you have the face plate that goes with it I would just use that while you get a feel for turning again.

Agree with all the above comments.

You could get a scroll chuck with the adapter to suit your spindle thread but if there is a possibility you might give turning away that would be a waste of money. I know a local guy produces some good looking stuff on a rebadged model .... All spindle work, not sure if he has done any bowls or platters. Once upon a time people used pole lathes and treadle lathes. They would have thought this was a Rolls Royce

Mind you they would not have had a power point to plug it into lol

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Paul39
17th June 2014, 11:57 AM
Danny,

If you do smaller bowls and take small cuts with sharp tools, you should be OK. The bed flexes on this type of lathe so it is easy to get vibration and tear out.

There is a technique for gluing a waste block to your blank with a piece of brown paper between, then screw the waste block to the face plate. Do a search. Older turning books, 1970s, show you how.

One way to get some of the flex out is to make a block to fit snugly between the bottom of the bed and the bench, then run a bolt through a piece of timber across the bed rails through the bench, washer and nut under the bench and snug everything up.

This thread might be of help to you:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=185596

rtyuiop
18th June 2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks again folks!

I'm southside of Brisbane, so I think I'll head along to the Queensland Woodturners' Society once I get the house properly moved and the workshop a bit more organised.

Danny