PDA

View Full Version : Waddy wood

powderpost
18th June 2014, 04:27 PM
While in Melbourne, a very generous gentleman presented me with a piece of waddy wood (Acacia peuce). This stuff is rare. I made this little box out of the piece he gave me. It is 55mm high and 50mm diameter. Sadly it had a small crack which I filled with CA and dust.

Jim

turnerted
18th June 2014, 05:02 PM
Nice box Jim.
There are some beautifull acacia woods but Iv'e never heard of that one.
Ted

rod1949
18th June 2014, 06:12 PM
Why didn't Tarzan have a beard?

Could have something to do with the fact that he didn't exist so physical growth would be a bit beyond him!

chuck1
18th June 2014, 06:27 PM
Very nice box! I was asked to turn some pens out of it and they let me keep what was left of it! I didn't realize how rare it is, it grows up in Queensland and the forest is lock up! Seems to like to crack the stuff I have!

artme
18th June 2014, 06:32 PM
Nice!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Waddy Wood is arguably the densest wood on earth. If not it is so close as to not matter.

powderpost
18th June 2014, 07:43 PM
Nice!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Waddy Wood is arguably the densest wood on earth. If not it is so close as to not matter.

Yep at 1425kg/m3 is pretty dense. A difficult wood to use a cutting technique, but scrapes beautifully. This box has hand chased threads, it takes threads beautifully.

Jim

dai sensei
18th June 2014, 07:45 PM
Good to see you made use of it so quickly Jim. I assume it has a threaded top, how did it go?

powderpost
18th June 2014, 07:47 PM
Good to see you made use of it so quickly Jim. I assume it has a threaded top, how did it go?

Exquisitely... :D

Jim

smiife
18th June 2014, 08:02 PM
Hi jim,
Never heard of that one before, very nice
little box though, it has an organic look about it
kind of weathered look, well done:2tsup:

Christos
18th June 2014, 09:39 PM
Well done on the little box.

I wonder what a larger piece would be like, if it would have the different colour change as this little piece.

Mobyturns
19th June 2014, 09:33 AM
Jim very nice & up to your usual very high standards. Will be nice to se these up close again soon.

Big A
19th June 2014, 08:38 PM
Here's a few pictues of Waddy trees and the sign near a clump just south of Boulia, West Qld. Hope they load all right and can be seen (and read!)

Cheers,
"A".

hughie
19th June 2014, 10:35 PM
While in Melbourne, a very generous gentleman presented me with a piece of waddy wood (Acacia peuce). This stuff is rare. I made this little box out of the piece he gave me. It is 55mm high and 50mm diameter. Sadly it had a small crack which I filled with CA and dust.

Jim
Jim I looked it up its very rare, in fact extremely rare it only grows in three places in Australia and is considered the rarest tree we have.

So this adds much to the box, good pick up and you have done a fine job on this rare piece of timber

hughie
22nd June 2014, 11:21 AM
Found this whilst looking for something else

http://www.diamantina.qld.gov.au/waddi-trees

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the article Jim

Mobyturns
22nd June 2014, 12:01 PM
Found this whilst looking for something else

http://www.diamantina.qld.gov.au/waddi-trees

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the article Jim

I have worked in western QLD and the Boulia, Bedourie, and NT areas in the mid to late 80's and have first hand knowledge of the scarcity and age of timber in that country. I have seen a Whitewood tree near Kynuna referenced by a surveyor pre 1900 and it still was only 80 to 100mm diameter in the late 1980's; many beefwood pegs over 120 yo still with axe marks in the side ; & reference trees cut in the 1870's still very legible and appearing if they were cut 10 years or so ago.

Waddi trees have been protected for quite a while. "Waddy Wood" Acacia peuce is listed in both the Queensland Nature Conservation (Wildlife) Regulation 1994 & 2006 as "plants that are vulnerable wildlife" to ensure their preservation & conservation status.

Its also listed as vulnerable under the federal Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicspecies.pl?taxon_id=8301 In the NT its listed as "endangered."

The "taking" of prescribed vulnerable wildlife including plants is managed under Sect 20 of the Regs and clearly states that authority is required under certain provisions for the taking, display etc.

Any wood collected before the Nature Conservation Act 1992 came into force may be the subject of different conservation status or perhaps even exempt, but that would require further clarification.

Many wood turners have wood gifted to them and are often quite unaware of the provenance (history) of the collection, time, conservation status or even correct identification of the timber. So Jim's situation is not uncommon. I'm sure there are plenty of wood turners with "special" timber that now have doubts about the origins of the timber.

Edit -ps

Jim I just realized I had not commented on your exquisite box. I know it will be the same quality as the one I have from you & that I enjoy so much.

wheelinround
22nd June 2014, 05:43 PM
What a coincidence friend this morning emails me from the exact area saying there is Waddy Wood about on the ground. He's somewhere about Min Min ATM.

we're in Boullia, Western Queensland at the moment, Min Min country (needs a bit of looking at!) It's also Waddi country, but I don't think I can bring any home, Ray, it needs an oxy set to cut!

Well done Jim how about shot of the inside.

powderpost
22nd June 2014, 07:57 PM

See what I can do in the morning Ray.

Jim

powderpost
23rd June 2014, 11:48 AM

Here you go Ray, the first photo shows the crack filled with CA and wood dust. Note the colour changes from the sapwood and heart wood.

Jim

powderpost
23rd June 2014, 05:42 PM
Jim I looked it up its very rare, in fact extremely rare it only grows in three places in Australia and is considered the rarest tree we have.

So this adds much to the box, good pick up and you have done a fine job on this rare piece of timber

Hughie, I am very aware that this is a protected species and feel very privileged to have been able to work with some of it. Even so, I still wonder how the protection status can be policed in a remote place. I understand that the piece I was given was an old fence post, there was evidence of fire damage on it, so it is possible it came from a fire. Even so I would like the opportunity to try some more.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the box is only 80mm high and 55mm diameter, so it is a very small piece.

Jim

jefferson
23rd June 2014, 09:31 PM
Here you go Ray, the first photo shows the crack filled with CA and wood dust. Note the colour changes from the sapwood and heart wood.

Jim

Jim, is this that lovely little box you showed me at the Exhibition? If it is, people really need to hold the piece to really see how nice it is.

powderpost
23rd June 2014, 09:55 PM
Jim, is this that lovely little box you showed me at the Exhibition? If it is, people really need to hold the piece to really see how nice it is.

Hi Geoff, no, that is a box I made from the waddy wood I was given when I was down there. I made it as soon as I got home.

Take care...
Jim

wheelinround
23rd June 2014, 11:02 PM

Jim

Thanks Jim:2tsup: thats an amazing piece the colour blend almost as if the Fire was still with it.
Shame as its got such attached but then gain would there be any left. I believe it would take decoration well for OT work looking at the thread work you have done. I just hope Dave didn't pick any up just in case...........I'll just have to do with some Dead Finish if he's lucky enough to score some of it.

dai sensei
23rd June 2014, 11:19 PM
Hmm can I throw a possible spanner in the works :rolleyes:. I know the person who gave you the timber Jim said it was Waddy Wood but I am starting to wonder.

I must admit to have little detailed knowledge of Waddy Wood, but the samples I have seen, including a bit in my stash, do not have that pinkish ring between the sapwood and heartwood. I have only seen that ring on what I call the pink Gidgee (Acacia crombiei) as seen in the attached boxes I made.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can clarify?

powderpost
23rd June 2014, 11:51 PM
Hmm can I throw a possible spanner in the works :rolleyes:. I know the person who gave you the timber Jim said it was Waddy Wood but I am starting to wonder.

I must admit to have little detailed knowledge of Waddy Wood, but the samples I have seen, including a bit in my stash, do not have that pinkish ring between the sapwood and heartwood. I have only seen that ring on what I call the pink Gidgee (Acacia crombiei) as seen in the attached boxes I made.

Neil, I have some pink gidgee, it does not have an olive green colour in the heart wood. The stuff the box is made from does have the green in it. I have never seen or used waddy wood before so I am not really in a position to agree or disagree. I will see if I can get a photo in the morning, of the green. I am not even sure that waddy wood does have green in it's make up. That should test my photographic skills.. :)

Jim

Cliff Rogers
24th June 2014, 10:29 AM
I've turned the pink ring gidgee, I had a branch of it.

The pink ring appears within a half an hour of cutting it & then slowly fades over about a year.

The pink ring goes brown.

powderpost
24th June 2014, 09:27 PM

Well now, I am throwing the whole bludy tool box in the works not just the spanner. Took me all day to find what I was looking for in the rack, but I found it. I turned up a shallow box and the shavings coming off it were the same colour as the "waddy wood". Will hopefully finish it tomorrow and photograph it. Guess what... the piece of timber was labelled "purple gidgee". It looks very similar in structure and grain patterns, plus it has the pinkish purple colour under the sapwood layer. This piece timber has been in the rack for more than 20 years.
So if anyone has a small piece of known waddy wood, I would like to make a small box out of it, 80mm long and about 60mm diameter would be nice.

Jim

Christos
24th June 2014, 10:58 PM
...... Took me all day to find what I was looking for in the rack, but I found it. I turned up a shallow box and the shavings coming off it were the same colour as the "waddy wood". ......... Guess what... the piece of timber was labelled "purple gidgee". It looks very similar in structure and grain patterns, plus it has the pinkish purple colour under the sapwood layer. This piece timber has been in the rack for more than 20 years........

:whatonearth: Ah well.

There is always a good side to this at least you got me to do some research on the Waddy Wood. :U

Cliff Rogers
24th June 2014, 11:39 PM
I remember that the shavings off the pink ringed stuff I turned were greenish.

powderpost
25th June 2014, 11:30 AM
Well the purple gidgee box is finished and photographed. The shavings were green in colour the same as what I thought was waddy wood. This is the problem with common names. It could even be what is commonly known as pink gidgee. The bottom line is, I really don't care too much, but it would be nice to have an accurate identification. What ever it is, it turns well and looks nice.

The box on the left is "waddy wood"??? on the right is "purple gidgee"???? What do you reckon?
Jim

dai sensei
25th June 2014, 11:47 AM
Common names are a pain enough, but when you don't know what a timber looks like anyway, it makes it even harder.

For my money I'd say your boxes are all the same and are Acacia crombiei, what I call Pink Gidgee, because of pink ring (btw Cliff mine is still there after ~7 years although kept indoors). What I call Purple Gidgee is Acacia carneii (also know as Australian Purpleheart and Purplewood Wattle) and very green when cut but then turns, and stays, a dark purple.

Waddy Wood (or Waddi Wood) is Acacia peuce and what I have seen is a dark brown almost black centre with light sapwood and no ring of colour as such. I have some marked Waddy Wood, from an old timer's collection he was selling, but I have not turned it. But like Jim's, I have no real way of telling if it is really Waddy Wood.

I have quite a few Acacias as I collect them, but they are all at home in Nerang, so I can't photograph them for this thread :-. It's times like this we need Runge :U

powderpost
25th June 2014, 12:06 PM
Just to add a bit more confusion, there is another tree called Acacia Carneii (Australian Purple Heart) (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEAQrAIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.woodworkforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D130645&ei=Mh-qU9P0O4iekQWb0oCIDw&usg=AFQjCNH4AqGzpuqiHYwYQ-ceivWSzRmsXg&sig2=ZbY8EWTqySpwTZW_1OzKeQ&bvm=bv.69620078,d.dGI&cad=rja) I have a piece of that some where here, I will have to have a look for it. My head is spinning a bit, I am going down to the shed......... :o :D

Jim

Cliff Rogers
25th June 2014, 02:39 PM
?....My head is spinning a bit, I am going down to the shed......... :o :D

Jim
Don't try turning that, you'll bugger up your tools.

wheelinround
26th June 2014, 10:20 AM
Don't try turning that, you'll bugger up your tools.

Would this be known as Wacky Wood:p

TTIT
28th June 2014, 09:38 PM
.........................So if anyone has a small piece of known waddy wood, I would like to make a small box out of it, 80mm long and about 60mm diameter would be nice.

JimI was going to keep out of this one but what the hell :shrug: I do have a small piece of Waddy wood left but you're not getting it Jim - at least not until I get my mitts on some more of it :; I've got all 3 of the 'Purples' here and there are obvious differences in them when you can look at them together. Your lidded box definitely looks like Acacia Crombiei with the light purple cambium layer. Acacia Peuce is as the name suggests, a very deep, dark purple all the way through and is so dense it is scary! Acacia Carneii is a more open grain and is a lighter purple all the way through. If I can make it to Prossie I'll bring all three to show you. Anyway that's my 2 bobs worth so I'm outta here :;

powderpost
29th June 2014, 08:19 PM
I was going to keep out of this one but what the hell :shrug: I do have a small piece of Waddy wood left but you're not getting it Jim - at least not until I get my mitts on some more of it :; I've got all 3 of the 'Purples' here and there are obvious differences in them when you can look at them together. Your lidded box definitely looks like Acacia Crombiei with the light purple cambium layer. Acacia Peuce is as the name suggests, a very deep, dark purple all the way through and is so dense it is scary! Acacia Carneii is a more open grain and is a lighter purple all the way through. If I can make it to Prossie I'll bring all three to show you. Anyway that's my 2 bobs worth so I'm outta here :;

Thanks for that Vern. I have been through the rack and haven't yet found the bit of acacia carneii yet. Suspect it has been consumed. I have found a piece of what was marked pink gidgee (acacia crombiei) and turned it. Had a closer look at its structure and I now reckon, like you, all the boxes are the same.
Jim

Mobyturns
30th June 2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks for that Vern. I have been through the rack and haven't yet found the bit of acacia carneii yet. Suspect it has been consumed. I have found a piece of what was marked pink gidgee (acacia crombiei) and turned it. Had a closer look at its structure and I now reckon, like you, all the boxes are the same.
Jim

Now you can sleep at night .... :wink:

Nevertheless they are all fine boxes Jim. :2tsup:

wheelinround
1st July 2014, 10:14 AM
Well due to my friend being one who reads and cares about such as regulations and sustaining whats left he chose to leave the Waddy Wood behind.

Still two 600x50mm dia Mulga branches will do from around Winton..........he didn't come across and Dead Finish :C

robyn2839
2nd July 2014, 01:08 PM
I was going to keep out of this one but what the hell :shrug: I do have a small piece of Waddy wood left but you're not getting it Jim - at least not until I get my mitts on some more of it :; I've got all 3 of the 'Purples' here and there are obvious differences in them when you can look at them together. Your lidded box definitely looks like Acacia Crombiei with the light purple cambium layer. Acacia Peuce is as the name suggests, a very deep, dark purple all the way through and is so dense it is scary! Acacia Carneii is a more open grain and is a lighter purple all the way through. If I can make it to Prossie I'll bring all three to show you. Anyway that's my 2 bobs worth so I'm outta here :;

i agree waddy wood is dark/almost black in colour and hard as ,although my chainsaw can cut 200 thick pieces i wouldnt want to cut a ute load,when you hammer it it makes the same sound as metal does,when i get the next lot i will be a little more sparing of it ,went crazy turning boxes/vases/pens/small plates etc only to give away.............bob