PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen wall tiles

pau1
21st June 2005, 01:18 PM
I'm currently in the process of doing a kitchen renovation and I'm building new benches and tops and the old wall tiles have to go. I've ripped the old tiles off the wall, they were attached in what I assume was a very old way of doing it. A wire mesh was nailed to the wall and then an inch of concrete was applied to the mesh and the tiles were then glued to that. The wall is just a plaster wall. Can I simply glue the tiles to the plaster wall or should I replace the plaster with some other material?

Obviously I'm a novice at this, so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Gumby
21st June 2005, 01:28 PM
Put up some tile backing sheet, available at Bunnings, tile places etc. That way you get a nice flat surface to glue the tiles on to.
Then just grout around the edges to cover it up. If you check google for tile laying tips you'll find heaps. Or go to one of the in-store demos at bunnings

pau1
21st June 2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks gumby, I thought I should put down some backing. I guess I was just being a little lazy and hopeing that I could get away with just sticking them on the plaster.

seriph1
21st June 2005, 08:57 PM
Heya paul and welcome to the forum if you havent been already...... what suburb are you in and what are the details of your palace? Age - cladding type etc. Just helps tp get a mental picture of stuff when helping out.

ok to your issue: I agree fully with Gumby - tiles like a flat substrate and Cement sheet is the way to go..... the "old" way you described isnt so old really, just an alternative used especially when walls are not as true as they should be. Bunnings will have what you need or any other hardware chain, along with a bunch of other places..... can give more info re: where to buy, if youre in an area I am familiar with.

Have fun!

Snapper_Kev
24th June 2005, 12:04 PM
Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread, but I thought it would save everyone repeating themselves on a similar topic. I'm looking at tiling my bathroom which is Plaster Board as well. I have been hearing many conflicting stories about tiling on plasterboard. Some say, yes tiles can go straight on, other say yes with a plaster sealer and some say No way, either remove the plaster board and / or install Cement Sheeting first... Seems to be some confusion as to what you can and can't do on plaster board. Perhaps those with a more experience than me (as I have very little) can explain just why you can't tile directly onto Plaserboard? Thanks for your help

pau1
24th June 2005, 12:32 PM
Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread
The more the merrier :).

Seriph1 the house is a 1950's BV. The wall is pretty square, but not %100. Would it be ok to put the cement sheeting over the top of the plasterboard?

I shouldn't have two much trouble sourcing the materials, I'm 2min walk from a Bunnings and 3 minutes from a tile/plaster place.

Thanks.

zymurgy
24th June 2005, 09:55 PM
About 12 or so years ago, I tiled directly onto some plasterboard above a new bench I put in. Recently we remodled that section of the kitchen.

It was a tough job to get the tiles off!

So in my opinion, it would be safe to tile directly onto plasterboard.

The previous stuff was painted, so I scored it to allow adhesive to key to.

After removal, I was left with bare paper. So I sealed it with several coats of Ubeaut shellac.

Jacksin
25th June 2005, 07:34 PM
I thought it was normal to tile over wet area board (blue gyprock) in bathrooms once all the corners had been waterproofed etc.
Jack