PDA

View Full Version : Thread on tail stock quill

Mobyturns
22nd June 2014, 10:57 AM
Evanism's "chuck on a tail stock" post had me revisiting the threaded tail stock quill idea. I realized many years ago that it was a very desirable feature to have.

I use the threaded tail stock quill quite a lot on our over 12yo Nova Mercury lathe, but mainly with the Nova MT2 collet system Nova implemented on the Mercury lathe. It is a brilliant system on mini & midi lathes as there is no lost length between centres for a Jacobs Chuck which then reduces the requirement for a bed extension. Its not quite as accurate as the ER system but still quite good.

The quill thread can only be utilized for stationary applications - i.e. securing a dedicated 1" x 10 drill chuck, MT2 collet nut, or collet chuck or at a pinch used as a reversing mandrel, however it cannot be rotated to confirm centering.

I was wondering if other turners are aware of any other model lathe with a threaded tailstock quill. If you are could you let me know please either here or by PM.

First is with Vermec ER25 Collet chuck; 2nd - all these accessories will fit the quill & 3rd the Nova MT2 collet.

(ps Nova MT2 collets or nuts are no available.)

powderpost
22nd June 2014, 08:06 PM
The Nova Comet I had, had a very fine thread on the tail stock, probably about 16tpi. I still have the nut and collets but I no longer have the lathe.

Jim

Ueee
3rd July 2014, 12:21 AM
Hi all,
Whilst i'm not sure of any lathes that have this feature, if the tailstock quill is not hardened it would be pretty easy to thread the end of it to match the headstock thread or any other thread for that matter. Just need to know someone with a metal lathe......:rolleyes: Just so happens there is a metalworking section on this forum! Seriously, it would not be that hard to do if you are interested.

Cheers,
Ew

Mobyturns
3rd July 2014, 09:18 AM
Hi all,
Whilst i'm not sure of any lathes that have this feature, if the tailstock quill is not hardened it would be pretty easy to thread the end of it to match the headstock thread or any other thread for that matter. Just need to know someone with a metal lathe......:rolleyes: Just so happens there is a metalworking section on this forum! Seriously, it would not be that hard to do if you are interested.

Cheers,
Ew

I have a new lathe on the way with a custom tail stock. Only had to ask for the mod and Marco at Vicmarc was very accommodating. Awaiting its arrival now.

Ueee
3rd July 2014, 11:20 PM
I was thinking about this today, and had another idea.
You can buy "blank end arbors" a hardened morse taper shank with a soft end. This could easily be threaded to suit the lathe spindle tooling and put in the tails stock just like a drill chuck or live center.

Ew

Mobyturns
4th July 2014, 09:10 AM
I was thinking about this today, and had another idea.
You can buy "blank end arbors" a hardened morse taper shank with a soft end. This could easily be threaded to suit the lathe spindle tooling and put in the tails stock just like a drill chuck or live center.

Ew

Thanks its a good idea but sort of negates the purpose of using MT2 collets in the MT2 tailstock. The 1"x10 thread is for a MT2 collet nut or "collet clamp nut". Other option is to use drill bits with an MT2 shaft but they are a tad expensive and not readily available in smaller sizes.

hughie
4th July 2014, 09:55 AM
Hi all,

Cheers,
Ew

As a rule tailstock quills are never hardened as they slide in a cast iron body. Generally made of a fairly stiff carbon steel some thing like 1045. So any mods could easily done by any machine shop.

hughie
4th July 2014, 09:59 AM
Evanism's "chuck on a tail stock" post had me revisiting the threaded tail stock quill idea. I realized many years ago that it was a very desirable feature to have.

I use the threaded tail stock quill quite a lot on our over 12yo Nova Mercury lathe, but mainly with the Nova MT2 collet system Nova implemented on the Mercury lathe. It is a brilliant system on mini & midi lathes as there is no lost length between centres for a Jacobs Chuck which then reduces the requirement for a bed extension. Its not quite as accurate as the ER system but still quite good.

The quill thread can only be utilized for stationary applications - i.e. securing a dedicated 1" x 10 drill chuck, MT2 collet nut, or collet chuck or at a pinch used as a reversing mandrel, however it cannot be rotated to confirm centering.

I was wondering if other turners are aware of any other model lathe with a threaded tailstock quill. If you are could you let me know please either here or by PM.

First is with Vermec ER25 Collet chuck; 2nd - all these accessories will fit the quill & 3rd the Nova MT2 collet.

(ps Nova MT2 collets or nuts are no available.)

An interesting concept, especially if you could get a live centre with a parallel shaft. Thinking on that, it shouldnt be too hard to have one modified to suit this idea.
Its not some thing that is too common these days, I have not come across it on anywhere lathes to date.