PDA

View Full Version : I now have a Symtec

Tim Creeper
24th June 2014, 11:23 AM
Hi all I just thought I'd share. I picked up a symtec pattern lathe and now have a dedicated lathe.:D Anyone got any hints, warnings or do's and don'ts, Limit's etc for me. Picked it up with attachments for 700. thought that as pretty good.

wheelinround
24th June 2014, 11:30 AM
:2tsup: Tim I have never used one but some old forum members swore by them (others swore at them LOL).

Do a search lots on here for starters there usedd to be a Symtec Group/club with Nation wide members i'll see if its still active.

Edited to add http://www.symtecwoodturners.com/

Tim Creeper
24th June 2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks Wheelin' I'll check out the link.

dai sensei
24th June 2014, 10:04 PM
Not familiar with the lathe, but looks like you have some fun ahead of you. You'll end up keeping more blanks than you intended to sell :rolleyes:

chuck1
24th June 2014, 11:02 PM
Hope it came with the router attachment! Handy for flutes and reeds!

Tim Creeper
24th June 2014, 11:08 PM
:2tsup: Tim I have never used one but some old forum members swore by them (others swore at them LOL).

Do a search lots on here for starters there usedd to be a Symtec Group/club with Nation wide members i'll see if its still active.

Edited to add http://www.symtecwoodturners.com/

Yep, that's it wheelin' Been in touch with Rob. Thanks mate.

Tim Creeper
24th June 2014, 11:11 PM
Hope it came with the router attachment! Handy for flutes and reeds!

Yep it did I reckon all the stuff 's there. 'sept the router. I guess that goes on the "i want" list or is that " darls, I need....":U

China
25th June 2014, 02:37 AM
You have my sincere condolences

Tim Creeper
25th June 2014, 10:22 AM
You have my sincere condolences

Thanks China. Not exactly what I'm looking for though. How about sharing the reasons you feel that condolences are needed so I can at least be ready for them. :roll:

Mobyturns
25th June 2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks China. Not exactly what I'm looking for though. How about sharing the reasons you feel that condolences are needed so I can at least be ready for them. :roll:

.... is another mans treasure - at least that is how I see a lot of the posts we see about "different" lathes and tools. Not every turner can own a Stubby or Vicmarc or what ever brand lathe, chucks or tools you choose to name but many of those turners can achieve quite good results with the tools they have at hand and often better than a turner with all the name brands. :wink:

The Symtec system is just another method of creating turned objects and one that has as valid a place in turning as many other ideas. One huge benefit I see with the Symtec is that it permits a range of turners to enjoy turning who would would not normally be able to create on a lathe.

Hope you get a lot of satisfaction from your new toys. :U